Three-Striped Mud Turtles: BOLD & PINSTRIPE

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
I weighed and measured Bold and Pinstripe a few days ago, but they didn't make it easy. Unfortunately, I had already fed them before I decided to weigh and measure them, so they had no clear reason to cooperate. Lesson learned on my part.

The other lesson learned on my part was that I should NOT start with the larger turtle. The smaller turtle is far more difficult to flush out of hiding. To start with, Bold was being difficult, trying to climb out of the plastic container on the scale, and winding up upside-down. But when it was Pinstripe's turn, I had to reach into one entrance of the artificial log (using red plastic tongs) to encourage the stubborn little turtle to come out the other end, so I could catch him/her.

Now, LAST time I tried to weigh and measure Pinstripe, the feisty little turtle reminded me just how hard an almost 2" turtle can bite. So this time, I took precautions.
WP_20190416_10_38_29_Pro.jpg
Pinstripe was not happy at being "molested," and had no problem showing it.
WP_20190416_10_40_03_Pro.jpg
If only Pinstripe would be so "cooperative" in the future, when I actually NEED a sample... :rolleyes:

However, despite the tiny turtle challenges, I did get my data. :D

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2 inches
Weight: 30 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 19/32 inches (almost 2 & 5/8")
Weight: 60 grams

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I am behind on my updates, but I did manage to weigh and measure the two mud turtles a few days ago.

Monday, May 6, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2 & 5/32 inches
Weight: 38 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 23/32 inches (just about 2.75")
Weight: 68 grams

They each gained 8 grams since their previous weigh-in. However, since Pinstripe is the smaller turtle... Pinstripe gained more, proportionally, than Bold did.

It's possible that Pinstripe may be merely three months behind Bold in growth.
WP_20190506_09_45_09_Pro.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Okay, these aren't great pictures (the glass needs to be cleaned for better viewing), but it should give you the general idea.
wp_ss_20190510_0001.png
Bold on the left, Pinstripe on the right.
wp_ss_20190510_0002.png
They do look closer in size than they did a few weeks ago.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
These are pictures from this morning.

WP_20190510_07_14_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20190510_07_14_40_Pro.jpg

I'm getting to the point I have to check the plastron to make sure who's who. Pinstripe has more evident marking on the plastron.

WP_20190510_07_14_46_Pro.jpg
Pinstripe on the left, Bold on the right.

WP_20190510_07_14_54_Pro.jpg
Pinstripe on the left, Bold on the right.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Pinstripe may be the smaller turtle, but readily reminds us which is the more scrappy turtle... As if there was ever any question!

Pinstripe: CHOMP! I GOT it!!!
WP_20190509_11_45_11_Pro.jpg
Me: That superworm didn't stand a chance!

Pinstripe: Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom...
WP_20190509_11_45_15_Pro.jpg
Me: Mud turtles sure are messy eaters...

Pinstripe: YUMMY! Is there more?
WP_20190509_11_45_18_Pro.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Pinstripe may be the smaller turtle, but readily reminds us which is the more scrappy turtle... As if there was ever any question!

Pinstripe: CHOMP! I GOT it!!!
View attachment 271954
Me: That superworm didn't stand a chance!

Pinstripe: Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom...
View attachment 271955
Me: Mud turtles sure are messy eaters...

Pinstripe: YUMMY! Is there more?
View attachment 271956
Why Hello Bold and Pinstripe. How are you doing? Nice to see you growing so BIG and eating so well. Just one thing, stop giving Mom such a hard time!!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I caught Bold basking earlier this afternoon.

It looked a bit precarious...
WP_20190512_12_15_32_Pro.jpg
I had images in my head of Bold tipping forward and toppling off the rock cliff, but somehow she maintained her balance. She never fell off.

Me: Thank goodness... :rolleyes:

Bold: You thought I was going to fall OFF?? Don't you have any FAITH in me? Don't you KNOW what a TALENTED turtle I am?

Me: Oops... Did I say that out loud? :oops:

Bold: And about that photo shoot with Pinstripe yesterday...
WP_20190512_12_16_01_Pro.jpg
Bold: Well, Pinstripe is not the ONLY scrappy turtle around here! I can be PLENTY scrappy when I eat, too!

Me: Yes, Bold. You are a MIGHTY turtle... And a GREAT devourer... (Especially of pellets...)

Bold: You aren't taking me seriously! What kind of a turtle keeper are you? You haven't even given us breakfast... or lunch... or brunch... or tea cakes... or snacks... or whatever else properly spoiled mud turtles are supposed to get!

Me: Yes, Bold... You're a VERY special turtle!

Bold: And don't you forget it! I should get my OWN photo shoot! Then everyone can see what a SPECIAL, TALENTED turtle I am!

WP_20190512_12_16_05_Pro.jpg
Bold: MY mouth is BIGGER than YOURS!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 272007
I had images in my head of Bold tipping forward and toppling off the rock cliff, but somehow she maintained her balance. She never fell off.

Bold: You thought I was going to fall OFF?? Don't you have any FAITH in me? Don't you KNOW what a TALENTED turtle I am?

View attachment 272008
Bold: Well, Pinstripe is not the ONLY scrappy turtle around here! I can be PLENTY scrappy when I eat, too!

Me: Yes, Bold. You are a MIGHTY turtle... And a GREAT devourer... (Especially of pellets...)

Bold: You aren't taking me seriously! What kind of a turtle keeper are you? You haven't even given us breakfast... or lunch... or brunch... or tea cakes... or snacks... or whatever else properly spoiled mud turtles are supposed to get!

Bold: And don't you forget it! I should get my OWN photo shoot! Then everyone can see what a SPECIAL, TALENTED turtle I am!

View attachment 272009
Love it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

View attachment 272007

View attachment 272008

View attachment 272009

HAHAHAHA!!!! LOVE it!!![emoji2]
I see what you mean about that goofy basking position!! [emoji33] Good Lord: looks like she’s about to tip over!!!
Love the photo of her gaping her mouth![emoji2][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I weighed and measured the turtles this morning. Sorry, no pictures this time... I needed both hands to wrangle both the turtles and the calipers. Just imagine Bold getting really mouthy ("My mouth is bigger than yours!") and chomping the steel calipers!

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2.25 inches
Weight: 43 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 25/32 inches (just over 2.75")
Weight: 76 grams

Preliminary analysis:

Pinstripe gained 5 grams, where Bold gained about 8 grams. So Bold put on more weight in the last week or so.

However, Pinstripe grew 3/32" SCL, where Bold grew 2/32" (or 1/16") SCL in the same period. I have not been measuring width or height.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Both three-striped mud turtles periodically hold their mouths open, both above and below the water's surface. It may be a few seconds or even minutes at a time. I get the feeling that might be the "I may look small, but don't mess with me!" face.

The interesting thing is, BOTH turtles sometimes do this at the SAME time. With NO line of sight between the two turtles. With NO perceived threats (e.g., getting spooked by a cat) to prompt a defensive reaction. Even when one turtle is OUT of the water, and the other turtle is COMPLETELY submerged.

Is there some kind of communication or signal that the second turtle picks up on, so she opens her mouth too??

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Of course, they wouldn't let me take a picture of them with both their mouths open, one on top of the basking rock, and the other submerged underneath it.

I had to settle for separate pictures, and Pinstripe wasn't feeling all that cooperative.
wp_ss_20190521_0001.png

Bold, on the other hand, was agreeable.
WP_20190521_11_03_04_Pro.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I was looking back through some pictures of Bold and Pinstripe, and I wanted to mention, for the benefit of anyone who hasn't experienced this (and as a prudent reminder for those who have)...

It's AMAZING at JUST how HARD a TINY little mud turtle can BITE!!!

In the past few months, I have learned this the hard way, on separate occasions, from both Bold and Pinstripe. They were each around 2" SCL when it happened, and in each case, it was when I had just removed the turtle from the tank, to relocate the turtle into a temporary container.

I think my BIGGEST error was in grabbing the turtles OVERHAND. I had lifted the turtle out, and proceeded to carry it, with my palm above the turtle and my thumb and fingertips under the turtle. This hand position provided an EXCELLENT target: The soft fold of skin between the base of my forefinger and the base of my thumb. OUCH!!!

So... Lesson learned. Don't try to carry a small turtle OVERHAND, even a short distance. Paper towels, or something else to protect your hands, are useful too.

wp_ss_20190522_0001.png

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
In case you ever wanted to know what Bold's BIG MOUTH looks like from the front...
P5204805[1].JPG
Or on the inside...
P5204803[1].JPG
Photos courtesy of my other half. I have no idea how he talked Bold into posing for those pictures!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Pinstripe isn't nearly as comfortable in front of the camera, but we're working on it. Besides, a turtle has to sleep SOMETIME...
P5204810[2].JPG
We wouldn't want Pinstripe to feel left out, now, would we? ;)