Three-striped mud turtle - Is it normal for these guys to hide all day??

susieq450

Location (City and/or State)
Kodak
You're talking about the one in the back, left of center? I think it's fine, especially if he likes to hide there already. You can bring it forward a couple inches if there's any concern about him getting caught between the mountain/cave and the glass.
Thanks for all the advice. I will change his plants during his feeding time. He likes to hide on the one plant in the back of the mountain, which is where he is now. I changed out some of the other plants so far.

What pisses me off is, I got him from a place called the Turtle Store. I sent the manager all the pics of his tank, filter, lights and so forth and he said it looks like a tank he will love!!! Why not be honest, for his benefit??!!

susieq450

Kodak
You're talking about the one in the back, left of center? I think it's fine, especially if he likes to hide there already. You can bring it forward a couple of inches if there's any concern about him getting caught between the mountain/cave and the glass.
I got him some new plants but I will change the last one out when he's eating. He loves to hide on the one behind that mountain (which is where he is now) so I do not want to disturb him. I hope he will be happy with all his new greenery.

What really upsets me is that I bought him from a place known as the Turtle Store and after I got him, I sent the manager all the pics of the tank, lights, and filter and his response was that it is a tank my turtle will love. I wish he would have been honest and keep the turtle's welfare in mind instead of saying what he thought I want to hear.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I got him some new plants but I will change the last one out when he's eating. He loves to hide on the one behind that mountain (which is where he is now) so I do not want to disturb him. I hope he will be happy with all his new greenery.

What really upsets me is that I bought him from a place known as the Turtle Store and after I got him, I sent the manager all the pics of the tank, lights, and filter and his response was that it is a tank my turtle will love. I wish he would have been honest and keep the turtle's welfare in mind instead of saying what he thought I want to hear.
I think part of it may depend on the individual turtle, as well as the aesthetics of the individual keeper. It didn't occur to me until @Markw84 mentioned switching to more natural looking plants, that it should have occurred to me also.

Hindsight is better than foresight. We're all learning. Sometimes a seemingly insignificant detail is the key to unlocking a mystery, and what you thought was a huge deal winds up mattering very little in the big picture. It's hard to tell what's what in the thick of it. :)

susieq450

Kodak
I think part of it may depend on the individual turtle, as well as the aesthetics of the individual keeper. It didn't occur to me until @Markw84 mentioned switching to more natural-looking plants, that it should have occurred to me also.

Hindsight is better than foresight. We're all learning. Sometimes a seemingly insignificant detail is the key to unlocking a mystery, and what you thought was a huge deal winds up mattering very little in the big picture. It's hard to tell what's what in the thick of it. :)
This is definitely all a learning experience and I am so grateful to have people like you guys who can help. I try to think back when I got Phlash and how I was not so stressed at the time raising him as a baby. He started in this same small tank and with a lack of funds, I did use regular aquarium gravel and an economical bag of green plants. I fed him pellets (he wouldn't eat) and heard of mealworms that he loved until he seemed to get impacted on so I stopped. I tried all the frozen foods like brine shrimp, Beefheart, aquatic turtle food and other options. Of course, he did not like the turtle diet option because heaven forbid, it had veggies in it! Hindsight, we do whatever works.

This little guy has me so stressed, unlike when I was actually a new turtle owner but I am glad to get tips that help. I put in the green plants and he seems to be happy. I had a low plant in there that I kept (has some minor color on it) but he loves to lay in or on it. Thanks for the tips!! BTW - he actually weighs 3 grams on the gram scale. Pic of his tank changed to a more natural setting (I hope)

Attachments

• 20200825_174010 (2).jpg
    20200825_174010 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
This is definitely all a learning experience and I am so grateful to have people like you guys who can help. I try to think back when I got Phlash and how I was not so stressed at the time raising him as a baby. He started in this same small tank and with a lack of funds, I did use regular aquarium gravel and an economical bag of green plants. I fed him pellets (he wouldn't eat) and heard of mealworms that he loved until he seemed to get impacted on so I stopped. I tried all the frozen foods like brine shrimp, Beefheart, aquatic turtle food and other options. Of course, he did not like the turtle diet option because heaven forbid, it had veggies in it! Hindsight, we do whatever works.

This little guy has me so stressed, unlike when I was actually a new turtle owner but I am glad to get tips that help. I put in the green plants and he seems to be happy. I had a low plant in there that I kept (has some minor color on it) but he loves to lay in or on it. Thanks for the tips!! BTW - he actually weighs 3 grams on the gram scale. Pic of his tank changed to a more natural setting (I hope)
I like the new greenery. I'm sure he will too. ?

YAY! He's gaining weight! ?