Three Redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

momofthree

10 Year Member!
Hi I'm new to the forum. I started with one redfoot little girl, Jessie, about 20 years ago. After a few years, she had an overheat episode outside and was sick for a while. took her from one vet to another- tried thyroxin, vitamin A shots etc. She basically was unable to walk, she would twitch her head and could rub the top of her head back onto her shell. At that time I got onto a tortoise forum and found out that the pink gel that the pet store told me to feed her was basically poison. I started feeding her fresh greens and vegetables and I, being a pediatric physical therapist, decided to rehab her the way I would rehab kids. She began walking and climbing and is now essentially normal although she hasn't grown since then. while she was learning to walk again, about 15 years ago,I bought another redfoot I named Murray to help Jessie learn to walk and give her some company. Murray turned out to be another girl and is bigger than Jessie now and much healthier because she benefited from my knowledge about the proper foods to feed them. All was good then a friend of the family was getting rid of his redfoot 7 years ago who I renamed Bubba. Bubba is a male and very lumpy bumpy from improper feeding but now eats well and gets along with the girls. THEN about 2 months ago we moved the torts from Pennsylvania to North Florida. I keep them in the screened room at night and have a pen for them outside in the shade for the daytime. They are very happy and eatting well, but Bubba and his platonic relationship with the girls has changed. He is making up for lost time! My question is, are the girls going to start laying eggs now? Should I get an incubator and be prepared? Will I have to change my user name?
Thank you for any advise!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. It would be nice if we could see pics of your torts. I would be careful with Jessie being mated. We had a member lose her tort because she was too small to be able to handle all the eggs she had in her. See what others say, but pics would help.

momofthree

10 Year Member!
Okay- I am going to try to add a picture of the 3 of them. If it's not there tell me what I am doing wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_4946.JPG
    IMG_4946.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! The picture shows just fine. Which one is the one on the right side? That one looks like it also had some MBD (metabolic bone disease) along the way. :( What are the actual lengths of these three? Maturity is more by size then age. Glad you have joined us. How are you liking the new home?

momofthree

10 Year Member!
Jessie is the one on the left, Murray is in the middle and Bubba is the big guy on the right- Jessie is 8 inches, Murray is 10.5 inches and Bubba is 11 inches. I know Bubba's shell and most likely entire skeletal system is compromised. I adopted him and he already looked like that and the previous owner had him for 5 years and said he received him looking like that.

momofthree

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
Hello and WELCOME:D. It would be nice if we could see pics of your torts. I would be careful with Jessie being mated. We had a member lose her tort because she was too small to be able to handle all the eggs she had in her. See what others say, but pics would help.

That's exactly what I am afraid of- I also think because of her past trauma that she probably is infertile.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Welcome ... to the forum.... : GOOOOOOOOOO REDS! " :D

Status
Not open for further replies.