Thousands of tiny bugs!

Jackie-ytd

Location (City and/or State)
Nuneaton
Hi there I have found loads of tiny bugs on my torts shell they crawl everywhere and are ever so small any advice !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would soak him in warm water as you would usually do and use something to pour the water over and around him to make sure all the bugs are dislodged and removed - change the water as many times as it takes - and change his substrate and clean his enclosure asap.
What are you using?

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
I would soak him in warm water to make sure all the bugs are killed and removed - use something to pour over and around him - changing the water as many times as it takes - and change his substrate and clean his enclosure asap.
What are you using?
I’ve bathed him and carefully scrubbed him and there still there I use coco brick extremely moist due to him needing high humidity

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Did you bake the coco coir to kill any bugs before you used it?
Soaking it in boiling water to expand it also helps.
I would take it out and replace it with fresh as this is obviously infested and will continue to bother your tort if you are putting him back into it.

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Did you bake the coco coir to kill any bugs before you used it?
Soaking it in boiling water to expand it also helps.
I would take it out and replace it with fresh as this is obviously infested.
I’m thinking of changing to hemp the coco isn’t working but I expanded for 1 hour

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Did you use boiling water for soaking the coir? That should have killed off any bugs in it, but I think you need to take it out asap because maybe the bugs could be stressing out your tort and make him ill.
I don't know what species you have but check the caresheet for him and see what substrates they recommend there.

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Did you use boiling water for soaking the coir? That should have killed off any bugs in it, but I think you need to take it out asap because maybe the bugs could be stressing out your tort and make him ill.
I don't know what species you have but check the caresheet for him and see what substrates they recommend there.
No cold water I’ll make sure I don’t make that mistake again thanks I’ll change it tomorrow he’s a red foot !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No cold water I’ll make sure I don’t make that mistake again thanks I’ll change it tomorrow he’s a red foot !
Some people put the coir in the oven to kill off any bugs, but I found soaking in boiling water works.
I expect you've already read the caresheet but that will be your best guide for substrate., Good luck

Guts

Tennessee
What do you mean by bugs, can you describe them? Because springtails, tiny white bugs that jump, are helpful and harmless love humid vivs and are very numerous when you get a colony going.

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
What do you mean by bugs, can you describe them? Because springtails, tiny white bugs that jump, are helpful and harmless love humid vivs and are very numerous when you get a colony going.
There very small white and there’s loads

Guts

Tennessee
Look up a video of springtails or post a pic, if it is springs they’re totally harmless and will actually help keep your viv clean!

Guts

Tennessee
They love moist environments and will cluster around/in water as well!

Happy to help ^^

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there I have found loads of tiny bugs on my torts shell they crawl everywhere and are ever so small any advice !
These are harmless detrivores. They colonize any warm damp place. They eat leftover food and other organic materials and keep bacterial and fungal levels to a minimum. In time they will stabilize and not be so numerous.

Baking the substrate will kill them, but they will come right back. You didn't introduce them with your substrate. They were already in your house and your new tortoise enclosure gave them a great place to live and raise a family.

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
These are harmless detrivores. They colonize any warm damp place. They eat leftover food and other organic materials and keep bacterial and fungal levels to a minimum. In time they will stabilize and not be so numerous.

Baking the substrate will kill them, but they will come right back. You didn't introduce them with your substrate. They were already in your house and your new tortoise enclosure gave them a great place to live and raise a family.
Thanks so much for the help !

Jerrysmommy

California
Yikes..our bugs are small and black and eventually grow wings. Is that ok? Besides them getting all over. Annoying

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Yikes..our bugs are small and black and eventually grow wings. Is that ok? Besides them getting all over. Annoying
Can you see them in the water bowl, do you have any wood they might be common bugs? What type of enclosure is he in?

Jerrysmommy

California
Can you see them in the water bowl, do you have any wood they might be common bugs? What type of enclosure is he in?
No wood. They are everywhere. I have a glass enclosure with the dirt they sell at the reptile store where we got her. They escape when we open the door and find them all over the house. They look very similar to fruit flies