Thoughts on new russian burying itself constantly?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
You need to get a temperature gun so you can check the different temperatures in the enclosure. They are not expensive. I got mine from Amazon.com. I put the link below of the one I purchased. Also placing a UVB light on top of a screen filters out a lot of the UVB so your tortoise will not be getting sufficient UVB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

chuck21570

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Good morning everyone. Wanted to give you all an update. It is a good one!

I guess we can chalk up another one for the anti-coil light contingent!!!! Once I realized I actually had a coil light (thanks to those who pointed that out to me, I didn't actlly think I had a coil light!!!), as promised, I went out and changed it that night (last Thursday), and Twiggles is a different guy since. He spends most of his day out and about now, and last night, did not even bury himself to sleep, just kind of tucked his head into the back corner of his enclosure. So it really does appear it had everything to do with the coil light I was using.

Also, further evidence is his appearance. As most of you reading this know, I am completely new to this, and we have only had the little guy 11 days now. So I am not super aware of everything about his appearance. But I had kinda thought, after the first 2-3 days, that his eyes looked different, kind of puffy and with white rings around the black part of his eyes. I just chalked it up to me not really paying much attention to his eyes initially, and that they we always like that, but since we changed the light, there has been none of the puffiness around his eyes.

So things are looking good now. Thanks to all of you for your help. This is a great forum.