Thoughts on foggers/humidifiers?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on foggers and humidifiers.

The humidity isn't quite where it should be and I can't use moss as spud eats it.

So are they good?
If so, could you tell me the best types?

thank you!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've read mixed things about foggers and humidifiers. Some people use them and like them, other people claim that if you have a closed chamber you shouldn't need one. I have a greenhouse style closed chamber and my humidity never drops below 90% and all I do is dump water onto the substrate (coco coir/orchid bark/cypress mulch). That doesn't answer your question, but if you seal off your enclosure more maybe you won't need one?

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I know most of the commercial ones are fairly expensive, and have a short lifespan. Definitely depends on your water quality as well.... here in Michigan we have very good tap water (from faucet) but it is high in mineral content, so it can cause buildups that will ruin the machine. The manufacturers recommend using distilled water, but that gets very expensive and it is a hassle

We run a normal household humidifier in our tort room for most of the day and it does a very good job of keeping humidity up. Similar to this one:
http://www.iallergy.com/product_info.php?products_id=521

Just make sure you change the filter regularly and air it out when not in use.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I don't plan on using it all the time, just for a few minutes of an evening or morning.

I'm struggling with humidity so it would only be until I've fixed it.

Thank you :D