Thoughts on conservation/hobbyists?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
The Houston zoo has a breeding program for Galapagos tortoises also . The best place to learn about conservation is at your local zoo . Go volunteer and learn.
The best zoo here is the Al-Ain zoo, but it's like more than an hour away. The closest zoo to me has really bad sulcata care, the area is too small, the diet is *probably* wrong too :(

Alaskamike

South Florida
I think the hobbyists have contributed greatly to the knowledge base for every species. Several have mentioned this already. It is not a small contribution in conservation.

And there are some tortoises that may have larger populations in the hobby collections than in the wild.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Houston zoo has a breeding program for Galapagos tortoises also . The best place to learn about conservation is at your local zoo . Go volunteer and learn.

Nearly every Zoo has a breeding program, but are they producing any babies?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The only zoo I know that produces successfully Aldabra/Galapagos and utilizes them in a program for other zoos is Gladys porter in Brownsville. Your absolutely correct Tom on this issue.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they have been producing Galapagos tortoises for a few years now . They have them setup in a large enclosure not really on display. You can see them but not up close so people can't stress them out .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they have been producing Galapagos tortoises for a few years now . They have them setup in a large enclosure not really on display. You can see them but not up close so people can't stress them out .

That is very good news. I'm glad to hear it!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There ought to made a distinction between in-situ and ex-situ conservation. Hobbyists influence in-situ conservation by breeding and changing demand on WC animals. Sometimes by popularizing a species which increases WC sales in part becuase CB falls short of the demand from popularization, sometimes by replacing WC with CB (often accompanied by some sort of legislation, ouch). One way that I do not see implemented for hobbyists (we are ex-situ) is using some proceeds to help in-situ efforts. Say for example someone who breeds about 100 $2000 dollar animals a year, gross is 200K yeah(?), how about getting a small bit to an in-situ scenario.

In-situ big boys like TSA, WCS, FFI, etc, tend to waste lots of $$. I know this from extended personal crossover interest and activites, really I do. I have an idea for a in-situ conservation program, last time I broached it here (indirectly) I got shouted down about being intersted in science mumbo jumbo. Just need one 501c3 NGO and we can make great things happen. I've done it before and can do it again. I'm pretty good at sqeezing a great deal of utility out of not so much $$ for this kind of thing. I've tried floating the idea with a few 'herp' type clubs, but those people are very itnerary driven, and a bit control freakish.

Then the crossover between hobbyists and non-hobbyists will blur a great deal, and this question that started this thread will become a bit more moot.

Alaskamike

South Florida
If you get something like that going Will.... let me know. I would be interested in helping.