Thoughts on Bioactive substrate systems**help**

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Thoughts on Bioactive substrate systems.

From recent threads on this subject it seems to be quite “simple” to get your torts going on a bio substrate. That and how well it seems to work are why I want to use if for my little redfoots.

To make a long story short I live in Seattle now. On Tuesday I’ll be flying back to California for a few weeks to take care of some last minute “things” before I move to Seattle for good. I’m leaving my redfoots at my moms where they will live in the brand spanking new enclosure I made for them. They will also inherit my three leos out door pen. I want to set my boys up with a Bioactive system so that poor mom doesn’t have to be spot cleaning all the time and so they can enjoy a more natural enclosure. Since I’m only in town for a few weeks I want to make sure I do this right so there are no problems when I leave. I have a few specific questions, and I hope some of you more experienced keepers can help.

The enclosure is about 2 by 4 foot. My torts are both between 60 and 70 grams. Does this have any effect on how many bugs and worms I should add? Is it possible that my turtles are not creating enough waste to sustain the worms or bugs. I know they also eat plant matter but I don’t want to see the bugs die out or take over the enclosure.

I’m still considering using heat cables but since I live in California and heat is not that big of an issue here its really not likely I will use them. However, I have seen a bioactive system that uses a screen on top of a base layer of gravel. The substrate then sits on top of the screen and water actually accumulates along the base layer of gravel. Has anyone here used this style of substrate with their torts? I saw it on a snake forum and it seemed pretty cool. The guys plants were actually able to grow roots down passed the screen and into the gravel. He also had a built in tube that he would poor water into that would go directly down to the base layer without getting the substrate wet.

Can anyone out there offer insight into the advantages of using this type of system? Does having a base layer of gravel and water help the enclosure stay moist longer or is it just stagnant water?

What are the best plants to use when your torts are still small? Are bigger plants the way to go because they suck up more water and perhaps result in higher humidity levels in the enclosure?. Should I use lots of plants or just a few bigger plants and then spread some seeds for grazing? I don’t want to royally screw this up and then have to start over because I made a foolish mistake or miscalculated something.

Thanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You have described a deluxe version of a bioactive substrate system (BSS) with multiple layers, etc. These are nice but unneeded and add additional complications. You do not need the extra layers on the bottom- just a way to monitor how deep the water is so you add more or back off as needed.

The number of bugs and worms is not critical either- they will develop a stable level on their own. When I tore down a habitat that I had completely ignored for several months when my torts were outdoors, my sowbugs (isopods) and hermit crabs were doing fine without tortoise droppings or any food or water having been added.

I'd go with larger plants so they are not as easily damaged by the tortoises.I'd also suggest fencing a few off to protect them. That way, as the others get damaged, you can switch which ones are protected and which are vulnerable.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks for your input on this, I was hoping to hear from you. Ill definetly go with the simpler system.

Are there any large plants you'd recomend? I have used panzies and rye grass in the passed and I do plan on using sping mix again. I just don't know what they are called.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Thanks. I am not a plant guy. I just go and get things that look good, are cheap, and are not known to be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.