Thor's New Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Hi all again. Some of you may remember me. I was pretty active from June to September and just haven't had much time to log on much.

Anyways in I'd say October, I finally finished Thor's indoor enclosure.

It's a 4x6 ft "sand box" as I call it. Has a heavy duty shower curtain as the flooring, with eco-earth as the substrate. I decided to incorporate some live plants in the enclosure for a few reasons.

1. Thor would try to eat any fake plants I tried.

2. Good site barriers and I would think makes it look more "outdoorsy" to him.

3. None are toxic and all are edible, so if leaves fall down, he can eat them without worry.

4. I had to bring them in for the winter anyways, so I made my own light fixture for the grow lights and put them in his enclosure.

You can see a lot of leaves fallen off from the hibiscus, lying on the ground. I usually remove them, but he actually likes to sleep in them. So I'll wait for them to pile up and make a little "nest" for him.

IndoorEnclosure5.jpg

I have a decently big hibiscus plant (that the bugger won't eat any of, hopefully soon!), 2 prickly pear cacti, an aloe vera plant and some begonia's. He can't just walk up and eat them as they are in pots, and like I said are mainly there for site barriers.

He has 2 hides. One near the heat, and another on the cooler end. For lighting as you can see he has 2 UVB fluorescent (these were the main spots he gravitated towards, and where his food/water are), to get the most benefit from those. And then his heat lamp (90-98 degrees always). Ambient room temp is about 75 in the winter.

Some of you know, Thor was a flipper. Well, he hasn't flipped since I've put him in here, nor tried. He seems pretty happy and explores the enclosure a lot. So i'm pretty happy about that. It was pretty stressful even just leaving the house before, because he flipped so much.

Anyways, that's about it. He's about 10-11 months old now.

You can see Thor next to the hide underneath the heat. He's so small in there haha.
IndoorEnclosure4.jpg

Sorry for the sideways shot. Was the only way I could show some more of the plants. One of the Cacti has already grown a second pad (still skinny though, on right side of picture). The other hasn't yet, but is still green and definitely has roots.
IndoorEnclosure1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice job, Rob. Its so big for teeny little Thor that he probably doesn't even realize that he's contained!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yes. Speaking of Thor, is he in there somewhere? ;)

I love his name, and as a leopard tortoise he will likely grow into such a grand moniker. :p

I love your live plants! I really must find some way to copy you on that. :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I like your plant idea... i wish i could find a hibiscus around here now...

Status
Not open for further replies.