Thor update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
A year ago I posted about Thor and the fact that he did not seem to be growing. Here is the original post.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Is-he-growing-too-slow#axzz1SC8O082Q

Not long after this post his plastron started to get softer and his appetite decreased. He got to the point he would only eat Mazuri, and only picked at it. I kept up his soaks and getting him outside as much as possible.

He has still not grown much but there seems to be some very small growth, and he has gained some weight. He is now eating fine and his plastron has hardened up. He stays outside all day in the Florida heat and humidity, and I spray him down about 3 times a day. His enclosure has a large hide, tall grass and a large pampas grass to hide in. He seems to love it, he is always covered in dirt from digging around. Though his growth is very minimal there does seem to be some growth finally.

As back story, when I got him he was on pellets, no water, and very hot, and already pyramiding. I don't know how long he stayed like this before I got him.

Here are pics from today
DSC02689.jpg

DSC02688.jpg

DSC02686.jpg

DSC02687.jpg

This only shows about half of his enclosure.
DSC02691.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Hes Growing, At A Slow Rate! Whiich Is Fine They All Grow At Different Rates Like Humans!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
There does exist the occasional runt that never catches up in rate or absolute growth.

I had one once. He was a cutie-pie and all, but he didn't fit my plan and I placed him with someone who didn't care either way whether he'd always be lilliputian or eventually take off.

Most don't come out and talk about it because the bulk of keepers jump to erroneous conclusions based on the average mistakes average people have been known to make.

If he is meant to be a pet only and size is not a criterion for your enjoyment of him, then I'd say to just enjoy him and just keep doing all of the positive care-giving you have been.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.