This took forever!! Russian tort enclosure

Casie A

Location (City and/or State)
Riverview
Okay, so we updated some things... she does get about 30-45 minutes everyday outside except on rainy days. We are going to start her outdoor enclosure soon, so she probably doesn't even need the uvb? I can take that down, if so.

I put 2 big bags of the reptibark over the felt except where the door has to open. I have two basking spots, one with a big light on the warm side and a smaller one in the middle in the less warm spot... she also has three water bowls, one in each temperature section. The middle one is the big one. I am turning the other bad water dish into a planter for more edible plants for her. And I have a bunch of fake plants to add. But here is the updated version. I am sure she will redecorate as she sees fit!

Attachments

• 20210912_134321.jpg
    20210912_134321.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • 20210912_134303.jpg
    20210912_134303.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Okay, so we updated some things... she does get about 30-45 minutes everyday outside except on rainy days. We are going to start her outdoor enclosure soon, so she probably doesn't even need the uvb? I can take that down, if so.

I put 2 big bags of the reptibark over the felt except where the door has to open. I have two basking spots, one with a big light on the warm side and a smaller one in the middle in the less warm spot... she also has three water bowls, one in each temperature section. The middle one is the big one. I am turning the other bad water dish into a planter for more edible plants for her. And I have a bunch of fake plants to add. But here is the updated version. I am sure she will redecorate as she sees fit!
If your tortoise is getting that much outdoor time you can do away with the uvb lamp all together.

Casie A

Riverview
She seriously is. Some of the best tortoise pics I’ve ever seen have been of Ducky. You’ve captured some great moments. I hope you’ll continue to post more pictures of her.
Thank you.. my son has a gift... But, I have absolutely no problem showing off my little ducky-saurus rex!! ??

Attachments

• 20210905_143038.jpg
    20210905_143038.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 22

zovick

10 Year Member!

It looks very nice! There is one thing you might want to reconsider. Namely, the fake plants. Although they do look good and add color and hiding spots, tortoises are prone to trying to eat them. I have seen posts where the tortoises have eaten both plastic and silk artificial plants. If you mount them where the tortoise cannot possibly get at them, you should be OK, but otherwise you may find the tortoise chomping down on one or more of them (if you haven't already).

Just a heads up.

Casie A

Riverview
It looks very nice! There is one thing you might want to reconsider. Namely, the fake plants. Although they do look good and add color and hiding spots, tortoises are prone to trying to eat them. I have seen posts where the tortoises have eaten both plastic and silk artificial plants. If you mount them where the tortoise cannot possibly get at them, you should be OK, but otherwise you may find the tortoise chomping down on one or more of them (if you haven't already).

Just a heads up.
All the fake ones are attached out of reach and only the real plants are at eating level. Thank you for the information though!

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
We are going to tackle the lighting and heating tomorrow. She is still in her 40 gallon tank for tonight. We have a fluorescent uvb we are going to put under the top. I was worried about putting the heat lamp inside it because I thought it would be too close. How far apart does the lamp need to be from her majesty, the Vampire Ducky? The mesh is about 13 inches from the floor. We will get rid of the sand mat, but the felt flooring was to somewhat protect the wood paneling underneath. (This is the top bunk of a bunk bed.) I have tons more reptibark substrate so I will add more. A portion of the area is going to be for topsoil in a boxy structure for her to dig around in. (I may have preemptively said it was finished, but I was happy to be that close.. ?) I appreciate the help and insight. We have had her about 3.5 weeks and I am so nervous I'm going to screw it up...
I love it when the yell at their food lol