10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's ok, but awfully expensive.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I don’t have access to orchid or even a clean cypress around me. I think I paid $20 for 24q forest floor bedding before so this is the better deal. I wish I could go to the Lowe’s or Home Depot and pick this stuff up but they just dont have it around me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t have access to orchid or even a clean cypress around me. I think I paid $20 for 24q forest floor bedding before so this is the better deal. I wish I could go to the Lowe’s or Home Depot and pick this stuff up but they just dont have it around me.
You won't find it at a hardware store. You have to call on local nurseries. People grow orchids in hot houses all over the country. They have to get their growing media, orchid bark, somewhere.

I've never used coco chips under a tortoise. I use them with some snakes and lizards, but never under a tortoise. If you want the chips, I use these guys: https://prococo.com
Prices are fair and service is good.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I did try our local nurseries. No go for the orchid bark. I Never tried a real hardware store but honestly I can’t think of where one is. The Home Depot’s and Lowe’s all over kinda crushed them. I’m looking for good alternatives to the forest floor bedding I have(zoo med cypress mulch). I spent a small fortune on that. Thanks again tom.

Edit. In The link you gave me that also have a cactus mix soil for sale. I notice white things in the soil but it doesn’t seem there would be anything in it to hurt torts if I’m growing optunia in it. I like easy ready mixes. http://tanksgreenstuff.com/tanks-pro-cactus-mix/

Last edited:

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
I just bought this at Ace a few days ago.......They kept it outside so I had to ask other wise I would of not known about it.
JackFir Bark.jpg

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Thanks Yvonne and Action. Those aces aren’t far from me. I’ll have to check them out.