This is Kaida, identification please

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Not a Redfoot. Looks like some kind of desert tortoise. Where did you get it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise is a desert tortoise, like has been said above. This means it is illegal to buy/sell them, as they are protected in their home states. You can contact any chapter of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club and they will issue you a permit to keep the tortoise.

Hurang

Palmdale
Your tortoise is a desert tortoise, like has been said above. This means it is illegal to buy/sell them, as they are protected in their home states. You can contact any chapter of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club and they will issue you a permit to keep the tortoise.
Man stupid pet store this is so frustrating. They were so adamant about redfoot , even the vet saidbshes a redfoot.

Hurang

Palmdale
Got her from a local pet store, was shopping for aquarium stuff and she came up to the glass to greet me, the setup they had was terrible, small 12x18 tank I think or something, barely any substrate, and a heat lamp. I felt horrible and thought I did my research, the shells look so similar to me on the redfoot and sonoran or desert tortoise, and I'd read that they can lose coloration so i assumed she's just not really vibrant.

Hurang

Palmdale
Also I'm not worried about the money I'll get the permit, I'm just worried I'm not giving her the proper care. Do all redfoots ALWAYS have red on them?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also I'm not worried about the money I'll get the permit, I'm just worried I'm not giving her the proper care. Do all redfoots ALWAYS have red on them?
Not always they can have red, yellow, orange, even pinkish looking sometimes. Here's a pic of my Redfoot for comparison. Notice the difference in the head shape, and scales on the front legs compared to your tort.IMG_20200206_180538690.jpg

Hurang

Palmdale
Not always they can have red, yellow, orange, even pinkish looking sometimes. Here's a pic of my Redfoot for comparison. Notice the difference in the head shape, and scales on the front legs compared to your tort.View attachment 286209
I do notice it, I'm at work atm but on lunch I'll take a closer comparison look, I just want to be 100% sure she's not a redfoot before changing her habitat and redoing her outdoor enclosure

Quadro

SC
I agree definitely not a redfoot I have redfoots as well .What they are telling you on here is correct. DO NOT go back to that vet ? You will be able to get all the best care information on here and then you can use it . Good luck with your new tort !

Dovey

New River, AZ
For what it's worth, I love my Sonora desert tortoise! Best species ever, and such an honor to be able to keep one legally. Take care of her!