This is just for outside for a bit

Mosin

Location (City and/or State)
Us
This is for my Russian tortoise I think he was around five years old this is so he can play outside for a little bit safely so nothing can hurt I just want to let him have some time outside this is not his enclosure forever just so when he’s outside and I’m not there he safe and he can eat grass there’s a little box where he can hide in and there’s a water bowl inside the other hide

7D5E9828-011A-46DD-BE68-7198FE090B09.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LasTortugasNinja

Cool! Will work fine, but don't forget he can dig under that in less than 5 minutes with his shovel-like legs. Long as you are frequently checking up on him, I don't see any problem with it as a way for some fresh air.

Mosin

Us
It’s 92 outside it can sometimes even get hotter my tortoise has shade in water he is a Russian tortoise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s 92 outside it can sometimes even get hotter my tortoise has shade in water he is a Russian tortoise
I don't see a question in your post, so I will guess you want to know if that is safe.

That enclosure is too small, and you need much more shade than that.

Go into your user profile and add in your location. We don't need or want your address, but you'll get vastly different advice for Hollywood FL, vs Hollywood CA. Where, generally speaking, are you?

The best way to help them escape summer heat is to make an underground shelter for them. Dig a hole with a ramped entrance, cover the hole except the entrance with a board or some plywood, and put the dirt back on top of the wood. Pile on more dirt if needed to keep it cool enough. Put your thermometer under there mid day on one of these super hot days and see what you get. It should stay in the mid to high 80s, even when it 100+ topside. If you live in a rainy area, be sure it doesn't flood on a rainy day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Omg I second Tom's post and asap on that tiny enclosure and better shade. An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
U can easily make an 8x8 enclosure using landscape timbers for about 70 bucks.. prob almost as much as u paid for that tiny small animal run

L

LasTortugasNinja

92 degrees and that area will either overheat and kill the tortoise, or he’ll dig out into the soil and you gotta pull him out of the ground, stressing both of you.

that little enclosure is good on 75-80 degree days while out on the front porch drinking the morning coffee. I wouldn’t leave the area. If you are looking for something that is portable, it’s good for small trips (say, a kids bday party where they get to see different animals). It’s not a livable habitat for anything larger than a hermit crab.

Mosin

Us
Just letting everyone know this is by no means is actually closer it’s just for outside for a bit

Mosin

Us
I forgot to say he’s not out here all day he has some shade some water and it’s usually can be around maybe hottest like 92 100° outside I heard some stuff saying I shouldn’t do it and as of right now I’m not I just wanna hear your opinion if he’s not out there all day cause I forgot to tell you that that’s not his enclosure he’s just out there for a bit

A8C75242-29FA-492C-88A1-67D29E37645F.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's fine for a safe, temporary outside place to put him so he can get a bit of sun. That's a much better option than putting him on the grass and having to stay there and watch him while he gets his rays. If you notice it's getting too hot for him you can lean a piece of plywood up against it for more shade.