This deadly heat ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BUT...ahundred years ago I obedience trained dogs...and if I got a dog who was angry and under-socialized I put a "pinch" collar, those Mastiffs(?) are wearing halters, you cannot have the same control with a pis*ed off dog the size of those. Can ya?
Oh and they aren't my dogs but there are
Bordeaux, Rott and Weimaraners pictured above by Mark1

S2G

AL
I think a dog in a townhouse is much different then a sulcata in a 10x10
There are many ways to mentally and physically entertain a dog that lives in a townhouse. Dog walkers, daycares and family once home.
Might be more the mind set of city dwellers versus country/suburban dwellers. City dwellers in my side of the city invest a lot of time into their dogs. Daycare, walkers and taking them out themselves.
Dogs/pets are family members. I don't understand your point as much as you don't understand mine. My animals are part of my family. I will do whatever it takes to keep them happy, healthy and thriving and have done so.
Years ago I raised and showed Chinese Shar-Pei. You could get a million dollar loan easier then one of my pups. They were my responsibility and I needed to find them the best home possible. I totally understand you being picky about who gets your pups. However, someone that what's to love it like a family member, would be top on my list, along with proper education on the breeds characteristics.
It's really simple. People will always defend what they do. They will always think their way is better. The real problem is when they are right fighters just to be right even if they aren't.
As long as the dog is happy, healthy and thriving, not abused or neglected, it can't be wrong.

Its exactly the same & that's what I'm getting at. The perception is it's ok, because it's a furbaby & it's ok to treat it as a human. When in reality its needs are not being met. Theres gsp rescues filled with dogs someone got over their head with just like the poor sulcata's. Now for some reason theres laws that side with the small space dog mom people yet punish dog owners. Which is wrong...the real problem is people treating pets like an expendable commodity though.

I think you & other people are taking offense since you use the same terms...basically terms of endearment. I'm speaking of the people that take it to the literal level & throw away the animal...or dump their broken mess on someone like us when they fail then rinse/wash/repeat.

What I'm getting at is the use of these misleading terms groups you in with a pretty unique group of people. Basically you do it this way or you cant own this pet. Look at what the reptile industry is going through now or the saltwater hobbyist industry.

I could care less about how someone describes themselves. It's when its forced on the rest of us especially with restrictions or laws is when I take issue.

Once again, because someone considers themselves a “pet parent” doesn’t mean they treat that pet like a human. I’m a tortoise mom and I treat my tortoise like a tortoise, as I wrote about in the other thread. You’re way too fixated on this topic and are reading too much into it, in my opinion. I see my happy Father’s Day post in the other thread is eating you up inside too. It’s not a bad or evil thing to consider yourself a pet parent. It brings happiness and light into some peoples lives and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m proud to own my happy…well…sometimes grouchy ? but healthy tortoise. I’m proud to be referred to as a tort mom. It’s a badge of honour that I get to care for my tortoise. My point here is, we aren’t all bad people. Some of us pet parents do things by the books, properly and provide the best care possible.

It's not as deep as you think lol. A parent/mother/father etc by definition in biology or anywhere is within your own species. If I said 2+2 = 5 would you say no that's 4 or would you say I support your decision since you seem to care so much about math? I'm taken back I'm having this convo honestly.

It's kind of like the peaceful protesters. Yeah you're peaceful, but your in a group with half the people throwing molotov cocktails.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Its exactly the same & that's what I'm getting at. The perception is it's ok, because it's a furbaby & it's ok to treat it as a human. When in reality its needs are not being met. Theres gsp rescues filled with dogs someone got over their head with just like the poor sulcata's. Now for some reason theres laws that side with the small space dog mom people yet punish dog owners. Which is wrong...the real problem is people treating pets like an expendable commodity though.

I think you & other people are taking offense since you use the same terms...basically terms of endearment. I'm speaking of the people that take it to the literal level & throw away the animal...or dump their broken mess on someone like us when they fail then rinse/wash/repeat.

What I'm getting at is the use of these misleading terms groups you in with a pretty unique group of people. Basically you do it this way or you cant own this pet. Look at what the reptile industry is going through now or the saltwater hobbyist industry.

I could care less about how someone describes themselves. It's when its forced on the rest of us especially with restrictions or laws is when I take issue.

It's not as deep as you think lol. A parent/mother/father etc by definition in biology or anywhere is within your own species. If I said 2+2 = 5 would you say no that's 4 or would you say I support your decision since you seem to care so much about math? I'm taken back I'm having this convo honestly.

It's kind of like the peaceful protesters. Yeah you're peaceful, but your in a group with half the people throwing molotov cocktails.
You lost me with this post.
It's never okay to neglect or abuse an animal of any kind.
There is no regulations on people getting an animal. No test to see if they can provide for the animal or have space for the animal or the means to give the animal what it needs to be happy and healthy.
Some people should never own an animal. Some people give over and above care and spend what some think is over and above, some don't or can't. The laws are there to prevent abuse/neglect from those people that are idiots and should not have gotten the dog.
Any dog lover would welcome such laws to prevent animal abuse/neglect. Having a big dog in a small apartment is not the same as a sully in a 10x10. The dog can still be enriched in other ways outside the home as I already mentioned. A sully can not, at least not once it has gotten too big to be carried.
If the dog is properly being taken care of in every way, then the laws really shouldn't bother you. Laws usually bother those that break them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So getting back to the Deadly Heat topic. Here in Maryland the last few days it’s been climbing into the low 90s, with humidity in the mid-70’s. I walked out onto our wooden deck to water a few plants and could feel the heat emanating upward. Grabbed my IR temp sensor.....and the average temperature of the deck was 135-140F.

So, keep those feet - human & animal - up & away from those baking in the sun structures.

Its SUMMER, and it’s painfully hot.
Amen to that. My back yard gets that high in the summer. I'm in Ohio and supposedly it's 90f but in the sun it can cook you like you're in a crock pot.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
BUT...ahundred years ago I obedience trained dogs...and if I got a dog who was angry and under-socialized I put a "pinch" collar, those Mastiffs(?) are wearing halters, you cannot have the same control with a pis*ed off dog the size of those. Can ya?
Maggie , there are actually 10 different mastiffs pictured , they were all born here , they knew me their entire life , they were "trained" long before they were adults in need of such devices , none of them ever wore a collar ....... the wiemers i used harnesses that hooked in the front on their chest , their thin dogs and easily turned...... i never found a need for a collar of any kind , i had pretty good control with a hook in front or on top of their shoulder , i been dragged a few times , but we always came to an understanding i was right ......

Link-Photo1.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
So getting back to the Deadly Heat topic. Here in Maryland the last few days it’s been climbing into the low 90s, with humidity in the mid-70’s. I walked out onto our wooden deck to water a few plants and could feel the heat emanating upward. Grabbed my IR temp sensor.....and the average temperature of the deck was 135-140F.

So, keep those feet - human & animal - up & away from those baking in the sun structures.

Its SUMMER, and it’s painfully hot.
i find humidity is worse than the heat , an 80 degree day with humidity below 50 is less dangerous than a 70 degree with humidity in the 80's ........ dog's cool off through their mouths , and sinuses ....... their skin and coat act as insulation to cold and heat , it's why they can sleep in a snow bank , they do not lose heat through their coat ....... humidity inhibits evaporation , dogs lose most heat through evaporation in their mouths and sinuses ..... they lose some heat through their feet ,ears , groin and forearms ......

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have to say as far as leashes go... My grandchildren, when they were little and getting into everything got put on a leash if we were out in public with them. One was a monkey vest with a tail that could be unattached. My grandson said I think you should unhook my tail. We just laughed cause it's good parenting to keep them close if stuff gets too tempting. We call them yard apes, rug rats, and curtain climbers. I think that's somewhat close to calling a dog a fur baby or a tortoise a shell baby. We are parenting all of them by doing what they need to be safe. So yes I'm a tort parent ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The mass ignorance present in the general public about dogs, dog behavior and dog training is astounding. I've seen it both ways to the extremes. I'm the guy that gets called in to deal with the problems caused by people doing the wrong things on either end of this spectrum. I don't see any of that terrible ignorance from anyone commenting here on this thread. I see people here who "get" dogs and understand what it means to meet their needs. Whether you call it your fur baby, or define it strictly as a working dog, everyone on this thread seems to understand what they are doing and why.

Nuisance barkers, out-of-control off leash dogs, and dogs housed or cared for poorly are the issue here, and I think we all agree on that.

Back to Karen's original point: Its getting hot out there. Pay attention and be careful with your pets. I wish good fortune upon all of you.

@mark1 We don't agree on everything all the time, but when I'm ready for another Bullmastiff, I'm calling you. Gorgeous dogs.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Zoomies are the best. It's like they totally lost their minds.
My Bull Terrier was a clown to begin with, add the zoomies and look out, she didn't care where or what she ran into.
Bullies are the poster children for zoomies! Friends of mine have one around 6 months old and he's hilarious to behold!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bullies are the poster children for zoomies! Friends of mine have one around 6 months old and he's hilarious to behold!
Oh you got that right!
If you're in their way when they zoomie, they will take you out. Like tortoises, Bullies think they can just go thru anything. Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah. They are the only dog I know that will get the zoomies even on leash with a professional trainer handling them... Holy Cow! Ask me how I know this...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yeah. They are the only dog I know that will get the zoomies even on leash with a professional trainer handling them... Holy Cow! Ask me how I know this...
I want to hear the story!! It will undoubtedly be more hilarious than my imagination! ? ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you get clipped at the back of your knees too? I did, boom, and down I went straight backwards.
My girl ran head first into a cement pillar and kept on going like nothing happened. Their heads are so hard and they are solid muscle.
They are so funny though, they could make a dead person laugh, cry and scream at the same time lol.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
thank you Tom ...... 1989 i went to a guys house to see a puppy , his son answered the door , when he opened the door this dog shot out and was probably 50 yards away when i turned around ..... i bought her puppy , this girl , she was a clone of her mom , most hounds couldn't hang with her .....

abby9.jpg

my current dogs are 7th generation down off her , all dogs that could run , i ran most all my life , i preferred running with dogs , the ones that could run with me got bred .......... this one , her great grand daughter was one of the better ones , she could and did run for 3hrs non-stop , she threw the best dogs i ever had , or seen.......
Picture41544.jpg

Picture4320a.jpg

Picture41335.jpg

Picture1008.jpg

Picture419000a.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131884334683006498.png

100-3643.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you Tom ...... 1989 i went to a guys house to see a puppy , his son answered the door , when he opened the door this dog shot out and was probably 50 yards away when i turned around ..... i bought her puppy , this girl , she was a clone of her mom , most hounds couldn't hang with her .....

abby9.jpg

my current dogs are 7th generation down off her , all dogs that could run , i ran most all my life , i preferred running with dogs , the ones that could run with me got bred .......... this one , her great grand daughter was one of the better ones , she could and did run for 3hrs non-stop , she threw the best dogs i ever had , or seen.......
Picture41544.jpg

Picture4320a.jpg

Picture41335.jpg

Picture1008.jpg

Picture419000a.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131884334683006498.png

100-3643.jpg
Breeding for all the right reasons. I love it.