Third Successful hatching of Chersina Angulata - Sterantino CAWG

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
This one was interesting as it came soon after I had a fully developed baby die in the shell. It just so happens that the dead baby was the first egg that I DID NOT sand. The one that just hatched was sanded. But I'm still not convinced that sanding is necessary. The baby that died was developing on the bottom of the egg - it was upside down. The others that hatched successfully developed at the top of the egg - they were right side up. So I wonder if that was the issue, and not the sanding. For now, I will continue to sand the top of the eggs at 90 days as I have been, but now I will also invert the eggs if I notice the embryo developing upside down.

6 more eggs developing now - I will keep the group informed as to their progress.

bowsprit 3 new.jpg

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Congratulations on the success! Interesting to hear about the other tortoise developing upside down. Hopefully the next six turn out well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I missed this post! What a thrill! Thanks for sharing this fantastic news and congratulations on a job well done. Again.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Thanks guys. Hopefully this is leading to the realization that hatching these isn't as difficult and mysterious as previous thought. High humidity and 20 degree night drops seems to work. But we need a bigger sample set - which I'm hoping to provide ;-)

JThompson

Dan, congratulations! Doing what few in the US have been able to do... and repeating it! Bravo!

JThompson

A colleague of mine is having success with a new incubation method with Kinixys - give me a ring this weekend and I can share more. Maybe it will be useful for Chersina...

Cheers!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
A colleague of mine is having success with a new incubation method with Kinixys - give me a ring this weekend and I can share more. Maybe it will be useful for Chersina...

Cheers!

Jeremy, I don’t currently work with Kinixys or Chersina (hope to) but I’m still highly interested in what y’all are learning on egg incubation. I have a suspicion that this information will be useful for other species.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks guys. Hopefully this is leading to the realization that hatching these isn't as difficult and mysterious as previous thought. High humidity and 20 degree night drops seems to work. But we need a bigger sample set - which I'm hoping to provide ;-)
Well done Dan. I am really so very glad that it is starting to work out with this project. Congratulations with all the little hatchlings so far. What is the number of successful hatches at the moment?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Well done Dan. I am really so very glad that it is starting to work out with this project. Congratulations with all the little hatchlings so far. What is the number of successful hatches at the moment?
Hi Carol - 5 so far. I am also glad that I am having some success. Soon we will have a CB generation in the US and hopefully getting them to reproduce will be much easier!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Could you share some pictures with us? And where do you go from here in the sense that I would presume that you need to find some from different family's to mate with your ones. Or is that not a problem for tortoises?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I have to get better about taking pictures ;-)

So right now I have 2 adult males and 3 adult females, all unrelated. That will allow me to produce 6 distinct bloodlines - theoretically. Thats plenty for me. Breeding tortoises back to related bloodlines has been done plenty of times and I don't know of any issues. @zovick might have some information for us there.