Thinking About Winter Feeding

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Today i started getting some food ready for my new sulcata baby for winter feeding so I don't have to depend on just store bought stuff.I am going to dehydrate blooms for ROS and Opuntia using an electric dehydrator. I picked enough to fill the dehydrator to see how well it would work. The first thing I do is soak them in ice water to get all the little critters out that may be hiding inside themdehyPicture 059.jpg Then I separate the bloom from the fruitdehyPicture 060.jpg Then lay them on the trays. I already had some ROS drying dehyPicture 063.jpgThe cactus bloomsdehyPicture 061.jpg dehyPicture 062.jpg I cut yesterdays blooms in half to open them up. After a few hours they are drydehyPicture 064.jpg I can do this as long as things bloom. After they are dried I store everything in paper bags in a dry place.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just layed the ROS flowers out on some cardboard in my dining room for a few days till they dried out then I put them in mason jars, and some in brown paper bags.20180707_064924.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
I just layed the ROS flowers out on some cardboard in my dining room for a few days till they dried out then I put them in mason jars, and some in brown paper bags.View attachment 245554
If they are truly dry, the ones in jars should be ok but if there is the smallest amount of moisture there is the risk of mold or fungus growth.That could be reduced by keeping the jars in the refrigerator. I haven't had a problem using paper bags for long time storage even when the indoor relative gets higher than normal at times.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If they are truly dry, the ones in jars should be ok but if there is the smallest amount of moisture there is the risk of mold or fungus growth.That could be reduced by keeping the jars in the refrigerator. I haven't had a problem using paper bags for long time storage even when the indoor relative gets higher than normal at times.
I left them for almost 2 weeks. They were pretty crispy to the touch. They'll be like hibiscuschips for my tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very interesting, Len. Thanks for the photo step by step. Looks like Anna is going to be one spoiled child.

daniellenc

Maryland
This is exactly what I have started ugh, lol. Drying mulberry and ROS leaves to crunch up, and drying blooms whole. I need to trim my hosta, dandelion, clover, plantain, and turnip greens to dry for my crunchy mix as well. I'm also considering drying some lilac leaves.

Len B

10 Year Member!
This is exactly what I have started ugh, lol. Drying mulberry and ROS leaves to crunch up, and drying blooms whole. I need to trim my hosta, dandelion, clover, plantain, and turnip greens to dry for my crunchy mix as well. I'm also considering drying some lilac leaves.
I went out this morning and picked more ROS blooms, they are cooking now. I just came in from picking some young and tender mulberry and grape leaves.They are in ice water in the refrigerator now and I will dehydrate them later when the ROS blooms are done. I'm not going to do any lilac for Anna because They are a little to thick and tough for such a tiny tortoise to easily eat. I don't think I'm going to mix things together for this winter so I can see what she has the most interest in. I use an electric lawnmower to collect the grass and weeds (lawn) it will be mixed up and chopped smaller before being fed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My problem... i pick and feed all the hibiscus blooms....and piles of grass.....and squash blossoms.....and corn on the cob, complete with husks now to our Sully. Our Lord Baltimore Hibiscus puts out massive blooms daily...yep, feed them too.

I have some dehydrated pumpkin i put up last Autumn after Halloween for our Sully. I guess i should feed some now.. :)

AE28FD52-D9A4-4E7F-B309-B5ADBCEE5810.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I went out this morning and picked more ROS blooms, they are cooking now. I just came in from picking some young and tender mulberry and grape leaves.They are in ice water in the refrigerator now and I will dehydrate them later when the ROS blooms are done. I'm not going to do any lilac for Anna because They are a little to thick and tough for such a tiny tortoise to easily eat. I don't think I'm going to mix things together for this winter so I can see what she has the most interest in. I use an electric lawnmower to collect the grass and weeds (lawn) it will be mixed up and chopped smaller before being fed.

I tried to feed my babies some “lawnmower left-overs” and they turned their noses up! Every morning at 5am the timer turns the lights on and I put fresh food in each enclosure. They both come quickly out of their hides and chow down. That particular morning, they came out, took a look and promptly return to hides. They actually looked offended. Now I’m back to snipping!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
I tried to feed my babies some “lawnmower left-overs” and they turned their noses up! Every morning at 5am the timer turns the lights on and I put fresh food in each enclosure. They both come quickly out of their hides and chow down. That particular morning, they came out, took a look and promptly return to hides. They actually looked offended. Now I’m back to snipping!!!!
I don't feed fresh lawn clippings during winter. I forgot to mention that I dry them. I use the mower and fill the bag, then I dump the bag out on the ground and run the mower over it again, Then i dry the clippings in a nylon netting clothes hamper.in the sun. It has to be mixed around a few times a day to make sure everything drys evenly. I store the dried clipping in paper bags until used for food. I re hydrate by soaking in water and add other re hydrated foods to it. When raising the last youngsters I added both mazuri types to it. I do this for sulcatas but could work for other species also. For my new hatchling I took some dry lawn and chopped it in a coffee bean grinder to the point of it almost being a powder to sprinkle on other foods offered. I also did the same with dry original mazuri and have a small bowl of that (still dry) in her enclosure.

Nursemomzie

Lubbock, TX
I recently dehydrated some greens for my Leopard tortoise and have noticed they're turning dark. Do ya'll think they're light sensitive? I put them in glad freezer bags after dehydrating them.

Lissie

Memphis TN
I am learning so much here at tortoise forum. Thank y'all so much for all this great info. I will be scouring my local thrift stores for a dehydrator so I can dry things now during peak season to hopefully preserve the most nutritious foods.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I am learning so much here at tortoise forum. Thank y'all so much for all this great info. I will be scouring my local thrift stores for a dehydrator so I can dry things now during peak season to hopefully preserve the most nutritious foods.

We use one pretty much like this -https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Nesco-4-Tray-White-Food-Dehydrator-with-Temperature-Control-FD-60/301213226?mtc=Shopping-BA-F_HDH-G-D29B-29_28_SMALL_ELECTRICS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Mixers_Slicers&cm_mmc=Shopping-BA-F_HDH-G-D29B-29_28_SMALL_ELECTRICS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Mixers_Slicers-71700000048833954-58700005310601551-92700047118403805&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNU59R-dHFiD6JCPWjv_-_WJw7FPxJ4ZPC5wrjZBVgJPaOFm6z2otsThoCeOoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lissie

Memphis TN
We use one pretty much like this -https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Nesco-4-Tray-White-Food-Dehydrator-with-Temperature-Control-FD-60/301213226?mtc=Shopping-BA-F_HDH-G-D29B-29_28_SMALL_ELECTRICS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Mixers_Slicers&cm_mmc=Shopping-BA-F_HDH-G-D29B-29_28_SMALL_ELECTRICS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Mixers_Slicers-71700000048833954-58700005310601551-92700047118403805&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNU59R-dHFiD6JCPWjv_-_WJw7FPxJ4ZPC5wrjZBVgJPaOFm6z2otsThoCeOoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I see them quite often in my local thrift stores. I am currently working on getting my permit back to drive a horse carriage, covid making
it difficult like everything else. Then I will have a little money and my baby torti can be super spoiled. Although I think its pretty spoiled right now and so stinking cute!

15937030382812063230905.jpg

Lissie

Memphis TN
I see them quite often in my local thrift stores. I am currently working on getting my permit back to drive a horse carriage, covid making it difficult like everything else. Then I will have a little money and my baby torti can be super spoiled. Although I think its pretty spoiled right now and so stinking cute!
Thanks for the info Maro2bear

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Thanks for the great idea! My rose of Sharon bushes and trees are finally blooming. Thanks to your idea I gather up a lot of the spent blooms and dry them. So happy I will have some toppers for winter feeding ❤️??3AAEFADA-98DE-4BC9-A4B1-2406903EB952.jpeg