Thinking about my first tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLT_2286

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
s/e Mich
Hello, I'm thinking about getting my first tortoise, the only problem is, I don't know which species are available, or which one I should get?!

Size isn't too big of a deal, but I live in Michigan. We have farmland, so there's plenty of room. We'll be moving in the near future to another farm, but I want one with a heated garage.

I don't want to spend over $200 on purchase price, and I want to get is as a baby. I also want a single tortoise too.

We have 2 dogs, 2 iguanas, a couple small & furries, numerous fish, and an African Clawed Frog. As well as livestock, a horse, some goats, and some poultry.

is there any more info I need to give?

And what kind of tortoise would be right for me?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Russian Tortoises are great starter torts. It would be best if you researched some of the different tortoises available in the pet trade and see which ones you like the best. Once you do that we can help give you a better idea of the care needed and which one would do best in your situation.

Common torts available:
Leopard tortoise
Russian tortoise
Sulcata tortoise
Hermanns tortoise
Redfoot tortoise
Yellowfoot tortoise
Greek tortoise

Welcome to TFO, I hope you enjoy your stay.

BLT_2286

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
s/e Mich
Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

That list gives me somewhere to start searching, and that's what I needed!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
BLT_2286 said:
Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

That list gives me somewhere to start searching, and that's what I needed!!

That sounds great, you can never research too much. :)

BLT_2286

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
s/e Mich
Which ones are the biggest?

And I would like to see which one's most suitable for a beginner.

BTW, I like the donkey in your avi ^^

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
of those anja listed, i think russians are the hardiest and probably the best for a first-time tortoise keeper

BLT_2286

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
s/e Mich
Can they be kept singly? or do they do best in groups....I would prefer to only have 1 tort if at all possible. But I want the tortoise to be happy.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Russians are definately the best "beginner" tortoise, and (IMHO) they have the most personality and really enjoy human company and contact! They can happily be kept alone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
BLT_2286 said:
Can they be kept singly? or do they do best in groups....I would prefer to only have 1 tort if at all possible. But I want the tortoise to be happy.

Tortoises are not herd animals and prefer to be alone so they don't have to compete for the best hiding place or food. Having said that, russian tortoises do get along in large groups with a minimum of fighting. Box turtles also get along in groups. But one tortoise does just fine by itself and doesn't need another tortoise to be happy.

YVonne

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
BLT_2286 said:
Which ones are the biggest?

Doesnt look like anyone answered this one,
Im pretty sure out of the torts in that list that sulcatas get the biggest, average is in the 20" range and close to 100 lbs.(correct me if im wrong) I have 2 of them and they are my first torts, i got them both as hatchlings and am enjoying watching them grow.

It is a very smart idea to research alot about the tortoise you want to get, they do require quite a bit of attention. Care should also be taken when choosing their diet.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Welcome to the forum :D
Where to start :p Getting a captive born tortoise is always the way to go, but being new to tortoises the best thing to get would be a yearly or older tortoise. Hatchlings of any tortoise can be difficult for first time owners. Not that it can't be done it's just more difficult.
Having a lot of land is excellent, but you have to think of what you have for indoor space as your tortoise will be inside for at least 6 months of the year or more depending on the species you pick.
Size wise they go from:
Sulcatas at an average of 24"
Leopards 18"
Yellowfoots 18"
Redfoots 14"
Russians, Hermanns and Greeks depend on whether they are male or female and what subspecies they are, but range from 4" to 10"

Danny

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree that a Russian would probably be your best choice. I absolutely love mine. They are so much fun to watch. I definitely would not get a Sulcata, Leopard or Redfoot just because your temps in MI will not be hot enough or dry enough for them. I don't know much about Greeks or Yellowfoots. If you were to get a Sulcata, who can get well over 100lbs within less than 10 years, you would have to build a special large barn just for it with special heat sources...huge electric bill. They do not hibernate. And they can walk right thru walls if they choose to do so. For a Russian you WILL have to bury your enclosure walls about 16" - 18" tho cause they love to dig. You would need to build a tortoise table for it to live in inside during your cold months. That is pretty easy to do. Mine is 3' x 6' x 12" made with 1" x 12" pine boards. I put legs on it with wheels so I can take them out on pretty days then bring them in when it cools down. Measure your door to be sure you can get it out! (I had to replace the door after building my iguana cage inside without measuring the door!). I used linoleum on the floor to make it easy to clean.
Do lots of research before deciding.
Good Luck...
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.