Thinking about buying a Marginated

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrilac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi-

I have decided to get a tortoise and I have it narrowed down between a Redfoot and a Marginated.

I've noticed that some members of this group have both, and I was hoping someone could tell me which of the two are more outgoing/ friendly?

Are Marginateds generally friendly or more aloof.

What is your favorite thing about your Marginated?

Also when is the best time of year to buy one? Is there a season such as after hibernation?

Thanks for all your wisdom!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Errr.....if you are thinking of getting a tort (doesn't matter which species) MOST breeders will not ship until the spring...just recently we had a member receive a hatchling through the mail, and it perished soon after, likely because of shipping conditions.

So I would say that the best time of year to buy one, would be spring, early summer.

Sorry I can't help with personalities...i've only got a greek. he's a doll though

gary27

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Louisiana
I have had a redfoot for a little over 2 years (9"), and I have had a marginated (4") for about 9 months. The redfoot is very friendly, eats anything, and is really hardy. The marginated is not as friendly, eats any type vegetation, and is very hardy. I think you would be happy with either one. I lean to the marginated, because I can keep it outside all year here in Louisiana.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
I'm with Gary, The red foot needs more care. Where I live My Marginata's live outside year round, & are hibernating right now. My coldest night this year was 27F so far.

Here eggs will come in about a month & hatchlings 2 months after that.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
depends where you from, and your weather, i just got a tortoise, but our weathers been 70-85 degrees. You just want warm weather before you purchase anything.

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Millerlite said:
depends where you from, and your weather, i just got a tortoise, but our weathers been 70-85 degrees. You just want warm weather before you purchase anything.

Do you live in so cal? I'm in San Diego and it was 80 yesterday.

I think I have finally decided to get a redfoot. I really want a friendly tortoise that wants to interact with the family.

The place I am going to be keeping to tortoise is irrigated and I am concerned that a desert dweller could catch a cold.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah im north of LA in ventura. Redfooted tortoises can do good here in So. Cal. What you need to do is build a sprinkler system, on warm days just turn it on and they love it, I used this with my mt. tortoises, and box turtles. I built mine out of PVC pipe, really simple sprinkler design.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
carrilac said:
Millerlite said:

Do you live in so cal? I'm in San Diego and it was 80 yesterday.

I think I have finally decided to get a redfoot. I really want a friendly tortoise that wants to interact with the family.

The place I am going to be keeping to tortoise is irrigated and I am concerned that a desert dweller could catch a cold.

Hi Carrilac,

I've kept redfoots for many years and have been keeping marginateds for the last two. I think your making the right decision for what you are looking for. My redfoots have all been very personable and interactive. My marginateds are a bit shyer and will usually run to their hide if they know you are watching them, lol.

Good luck with your new family member :)

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone's feedback! I take pet ownership very seriously and have been researching tortioses for weeks. However it has been everyone's comments (including thoese I have recieved on Redfoot.com) that have really helped me make up my mind.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.