Thinking about a Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey everyone i just stumbled on this site just the other day ago and look forward to talking to you guys. My name is Leland and I dont have a tortoise yet but have been itching for one for the longest time because i love turtles/tortoises. I have been reading alot about everything and the more i read the more i kind of narrow it down to a russian tortoise and my first pet. Is this a good choice for people who are just starting out? I had 2 redeared slider turtles when i was lil but never had a tortoise so there was quite a bit to read up on them. Looking forward to your guys feedback. I live in Seattle Washington by the way so it would be living mainly indoors and i would take it out to play during the sunny days, thats one reason i wanted a smaller size.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
A Russian Tortoise is indeed a good first tortoise. In fact, it's apparently good for your first five tortoises. I just added a couple of Leopards, but am still a huge Russian Tortoise fan.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
RTfanatic said:
A Russian Tortoise is indeed a good first tortoise. In fact, it's apparently good for your first five tortoises. I just added a couple of Leopards, but am still a huge Russian Tortoise fan.

How are the leppies doing? I hope they are doing OK. Could you send some pics?

Kibbles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sweet thanx for the advice guys, im going to try to get one this weekend. Anyone know good places to look in Seattle? And what should i be looking for so i dont buy one that hasnt been treated right or is in bad shape?

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
Russians are very hardy and fun torts. A great choice. I'm glad to hear that you've been doing your research and educating yourself. They really make great pets. Be sure to post some pics. A pair would be great too...........

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO!! First thought before bringing home the tort make sure you have the enclosure setup. That way you can place it right into there new home, That way you don't have to move around to a bunch homes. Also another thing to think about is if you get a female they will get larger, but you can put a bunch of females together without a bunch of problems. Males will fight with each other, but they stay smaller. For places to look try craigslist or other for sale sites, herp societies, rescues etc.. Check for soft shell if there shell is soft then they haven't had enough calcium, make sure eyes are clear, they are alert and moving around, running noses, major untreated shell damage, etc. etc. a good reference site is ** http://www.russiantortoise.org/index.htm ** Also a few sites to get seeds... http://www.turtlecafe.com/home.pl http://carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/ Good Luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask, and please post pics when you get your new little one...

Kibbles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanx for all the help guys im going to get the home setup this weekend!! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.