Things I got wrong and things I'm changing

HewHermannsmum

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Wow I never knew how much I didn't know! Like so many, I thought I had done all my research and was giving my baby Hermanns the best start in his new home. I feel so guilty at how wrong I was.
Fortunately it's only been a week and I've already been able to make some positive changes with your help :)
Firstly substrate - switched from horrible dry sand to coco coir and orchid bark. Nice and humid now!
Secondly, changed the position of my hygrometers to shell height and ordered a more accurate infrared gun style thermometer.
Plans for the next few days include switching out my spotlight heat+UV basking bulb to a floodlight and a separate UV strip for when he can't get natural sunlight.
I am also going to cover a good portion of the table with a greenhouse cover to keep humidity up (but keep a small section open for ventilation).
I'm gonna post updates of how my "home improvements" go...always up for more (kind) constructive feedback Haha

My little baby still keeps trying to climb walls and flipping himself over! I've read this is quite normal baby behaviour. But perhaps he's trying to get away from the spotlight? Hoping my new changes will fix the problem. Any other ideas much appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow I never knew how much I didn't know! Like so many, I thought I had done all my research and was giving my baby Hermanns the best start in his new home. I feel so guilty at how wrong I was.
Fortunately it's only been a week and I've already been able to make some positive changes with your help :)
Firstly substrate - switched from horrible dry sand to coco coir and orchid bark. Nice and humid now!
Secondly, changed the position of my hygrometers to shell height and ordered a more accurate infrared gun style thermometer.
Plans for the next few days include switching out my spotlight heat+UV basking bulb to a floodlight and a separate UV strip for when he can't get natural sunlight.
I am also going to cover a good portion of the table with a greenhouse cover to keep humidity up (but keep a small section open for ventilation).
I'm gonna post updates of how my "home improvements" go...always up for more (kind) constructive feedback Haha

My little baby still keeps trying to climb walls and flipping himself over! I've read this is quite normal baby behaviour. But perhaps he's trying to get away from the spotlight? Hoping my new changes will fix the problem. Any other ideas much appreciated!
All sounds great!

Sometimes adding safe potted plants and other decor will curb he flipping behavior. Sometimes not. If you post a pic of the enclosure, we might have helpful suggestions for that issue.