Thick, white gloop in eyes, very lethargic tortoise. Help!

Cyprus Lady

5 Year Member
i have a Greek spur thighed tortoise I believe to be about 8-9 years old by her size. She lives permanently in a large outdoor enclosure in Cyprus with 2 other tortoises. I've had her about 3 years now after she was found as a stray walking down the road! I don't get into all the substrate issues, temperature control etc because she lives in her pen as she would if she were wild here. I feed her mainly Cyprus green lettuce, cucumber , a few grapes now and then, a fig sometimes etc and she has tortoise edible plants in her enclosure that she never eats, despite all my research! She likes prickly pear pads too.

She has developed a thick, white gloop on her eyes. It seems to descend from under her top eye lid and is thick enough that she can wipe it off with her front leg in one go. I have bathed her eyes to remove it with warm water and a swab. She is very lethargic and digs herself down into the soil and does not come out to feed. I have to pull her out whereupon I put her in her water bowl to soak and then she will eat a reasonable meal but then digs herself in and does not come out for days.

It's pretty hot ATM in Cyprus, around 38°c / 100°F and I find all 3 tortoises tend to eat and then rest in the shade all day so it's easy to miss the fact that she hasn't come out all day.

Any thoughts please?

Cyprus Lady

5 Year Member
I've uploaded a photo just so you can see something of their enclosure about 4m long and 2m wide) with 3 tortoises. The poorly one is the large of the 3

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know if you can find this product in Cyprus:

terr_eyeointment.jpg

It's the only thing I can thing of besides taking the tortoise to a vet who knows about tortoises.

Cyprus Lady

5 Year Member
I don't know if you can find this product in Cyprus:

terr_eyeointment.jpg

It's the only thing I can thing of besides taking the tortoise to a vet who knows about tortoises.
Thanks Yvonne - I'll see what I can find. I have had a vet recommended as one who knows a bit about tortoises so I'm going to give him a ring and hope he speaks English!

Cyprus Lady

5 Year Member
I did give her antibiotic eyedrops 3 times a day for about 2 weeks and it seemed to have cleared up but today I realised that I hadnt seen her for a few days and when i dug her out of her hidey hole I found her eyes are white again.

Cyprus Lady

5 Year Member
This was her eyes this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
Hello. I see that maybe you should start the eye cream again till a professional can chime in . I'm sorry and good luck