THEY'VE ARRIVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
My babies arrived around 10:30EST. The 1st thing I did was say "hello!" :) then I gave them a nice-warm soak. They rewarded me with a few little brown "jellybeans". :p I moved their enclosure out into the sun and they've been out there for a few hours now. The humidity box temp is about 92 (that's where they are now) and the enclosure temp is about 90. They seem to be a little lethargic. Is that natural after a long journey? I know I get that way! I gave them some spring mix and squash flowers but so far they've been ignoring it. I noticed that their shells seem a little soft. Is this natural? They feel springy if you know what I mean. Thanks ahead of time for your replies!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Congrats! Cooper was pretty active the day he got home. make sure they DONT get overheated outside. Cooper is about 8 months and he was only outside about 45 minutes and he got overheated and started running around and saliva was pouring out of his mouth and he was blowing bubbles, then he got the poopies. Once i got him inside he got cooled off and calmed down. But if he wopuld have been out there much longer he prolly would not have made it. Good luck with your babies! :) I am sure you will get some more posts on here.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
cemmons12 said:
Congrats! Cooper was pretty active the day he got home. make sure they DONT get overheated outside. Cooper is about 8 months and he was only outside about 45 minutes and he got overheated and started running around and saliva was pouring out of his mouth and he was blowing bubbles, then he got the poopies. Once i got him inside he got cooled off and calmed down. But if he wopuld have been out there much longer he prolly would not have made it. Good luck with your babies! :) I am sure you will get some more posts on here.
Thanks Chris. So far no bubbles, no saliva. Just 2 lazy little baby tortoises staring @ me with tiny little black eyes whenever I move towards the enclosure.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats and I agree with Rob, where are the photo's....

dalano73 said:
Congrats and I agree with Rob, where are the photo's....

Also, a hatchling plastron will be a little soft but should harden as he get bigger, maybe in a few months or so depending on how old they are now...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Pictures? What's next cigars?? :p I'll post some as soon as their lazy butts get up. Do you guys know if the softness of the shell is normal? They're about 8wks old. Just wanna be sure I'm not dealing w/a calcium deficiency.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shell softness is very subjective. Its hard to tell you how to measure it over the internet. By 8 weeks it should feel like hard plastic. Some give, but not a lot.

They might be perfectly fine, or they might have a problem. Is the breeder a forum member? Do you know how they were cared for prior to coming to you? If they were soaked daily, sunned and fed a good diet, then you are probably fine. If they were on rabbit pellets and soaked twice a week and never outside, then you bought from the wrong breeder and you MIGHT have a problem.

I hope its the former. :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you to everyone! I couldn't sleep! TOO EXCITED! Wake up torts! Any name suggestions???
PS-Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate it--Thank you! -Anthony-

Status
Not open for further replies.