They call Somalian Pardalis

Somalianpardalis

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi guys im new here, but as i search i could not find anything about pardalis somalia.
Someone can send me the link from this thread if there is any?

Or i want to asking here about somalian they said it will getting whiter but the problem is as i saw it is spawn a black dot on the shell.. anyone can give opinion?
To see the picture please see the attachment. Thanks

IMG-20181026-WA0142.jpg 20181025_073133.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beautiful leopard. However, species should not be mixed. Very bad for their health for species too be mix. As for the leopard, are you asking if he will be all white? No, not likely and a lot don't stay that white as they grow. Hopefully yours will as he is a beautiful white and nicely domed.
@Tom might he abke to help but I'm not quite understand what you are asking.

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
Beautiful leopard. However, species should not be mixed. Very bad for their health for species too be mix. As for the leopard, are you asking if he will be all white? No, not likely and a lot don't stay that white as they grow. Hopefully yours will as he is a beautiful white and nicely domed.
@Tom might he abke to help but I'm not quite understand what you are asking.

Oh so when they grow they will have a black dot as well?
Anyway why you call it a mixed? As i know pardalis have 3 kind, babcoki,pardalis and somalia. CMIIW.

And he is growing some littke black dot on his body when he grow up. So im affraid will be same as babcoki.
And does someone have picture for grownup somalian like me?

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, not saying the leopard is a mix. You have him with a sulcata and a radiated and that's bad for different kinds of tortoises to be living together.
As for the black dots, Tom might be able too answer that.
I don't think we have anyone that owns Somalians,but I think there has been pictures shown before if them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one here has either Somalians or Ethiopians, so I don't know how much help we can be. We only have the "regular" leopards, which are now a mix of all sorts of localities, and the South African leopards.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When we refer to the "black dot" that helps to I.D. the SA leopard, we mean a black dot that is in the very center of the scutes. They're either born with it or not. It doesn't appear where none was before. Your tortoise has one black dot inside the scutes.

If you're asking about the black coloration starting to show on the new growth, that is the normal "leopard" pattern that all leopard tortoises have. That pattern is the reason they're called "leopard" tortoises. There is no guarantee your tortoise will stay all white, or high white. They ALL get that black pattern.

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
I
When we refer to the "black dot" that helps to I.D. the SA leopard, we mean a black dot that is in the very center of the scutes. They're either born with it or not. It doesn't appear where none was before. Your tortoise has one black dot inside the scutes.

If you're asking about the black coloration starting to show on the new growth, that is the normal "leopard" pattern that all leopard tortoises have. That pattern is the reason they're called "leopard" tortoises. There is no guarantee your tortoise will stay all white, or high white. They ALL get that black pattern.
Hello thanks for the answer but again im still dont understand about why no one here have this kind of pardalis? Is it illegal or hard to get?
And in my country indonesia they said somalian when they getting bigger they will become whiter and whiter but as i see mine have spawning black on the scute..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not true. They look all alike, but the ones from Somalia and Ethiopia grow much bigger. . . same color, not whiter.

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
Not true. They look all alike, but the ones from Somalia and Ethiopia grow much bigger. . . same color, not whiter.
Have you seen the somalian? I mean real one.. if you already see the white colour is different.. not same.. thats why somalian price is higher than babcoki.. how come you said they share the same colour.. the pattern might be same but the white colour is totally different.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello thanks for the answer but again im still dont understand about why no one here have this kind of pardalis? Is it illegal or hard to get?

Somalians and Ethiopians were not know in the pet trade until fairly recently. The US banned importation of leopards and sulcatas back in 1998. What we have here today, as far as leopards or sulcatas are concerned, is all captive bred from stock imported before 1998. No Ethiopians or Somalians had made it over here before the ban went into effect.

This being the case, I know of no American with any experience raising or keeping Somalian or Ethiopian leopards. I only know of a few of people that have even seem them in the wild. From what I have seen on the internet, they do grow larger than the "normal" leopard tortoises, and they do tend to have a lighter background color.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
What you have is just a regular leopard raised under special artificial techniques to get the massive white growth area , to increase the retail $$ .

The white area will turn to “normal “ leopard color eventually unless you keep rasising it the same way the farms did .

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
What you have is just a regular leopard raised under special artificial techniques to get the massive white growth area , to increase the retail $$ .

The white area will turn to “normal “ leopard color eventually unless you keep rasising it the same way the farms did .
No you wrong.. there is different genetic for leopard.. somalian is diffrrent leopard.. their eyes bigger and charachter is different.. you might not know since in your country only have babcoki.. there is no special treatment and the white color is different with babcoki..

JanelP

Idaho
You have a very beautiful tortoise. Since you are in Indonesia you seem to be at an advantage to get these two different types that we can't get in the USA.
I am Very interested in seeing you tort grow, and the beauty it becomes. If you have other pics to share of the face, underside and younger pics, I for one would love to see them. Please keep us posted.

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
@JanelP this is for now.. will show again later.

Attachments

• 20181104_212443.jpg
    20181104_212443.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20181030_220500.jpg
    IMG_20181030_220500.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20181104_075148.jpg
    20181104_075148.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 51

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are many of the leopards from that more northern part of the range in Japan, Taiwan (at least( and a few collection in Europe (Spain for sure). The dot count at the center of the scute is no reliable way to know if they are from that northern part of the range.

Images of the adult breeders would be the best way to know.

As for the whiteness or blondness, that is an artifact of the husbandry.

If you use the search box here on tortoise forum and search for 'Somalia' or 'Ethiopian' you can find past threads on these tortoises.

Brit G

Texas
There are many of the leopards from that more northern part of the range in Japan, Taiwan (at least( and a few collection in Europe (Spain for sure). The dot count at the center of the scute is no reliable way to know if they are from that northern part of the range.

Images of the adult breeders would be the best way to know.

As for the whiteness or blondness, that is an artifact of the husbandry.

If you use the search box here on tortoise forum and search for 'Somalia' or 'Ethiopian' you can find past threads on these tortoises.
What husbandry causes the lighter coloration?

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Let me share some of the Somalia leopard to you. It’s from a friend of mine visited a tortoise farm in China. IMG_0882.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0881.jpg

In the Asian pet trade I know some of breeder Making these kind of looking. Call snow leopard. The way they do just have this animal never reach out the real sun light, feed more then usual, some of the Individual will eat more then others, so they pick these up, let calcium precipitation continues growing. I used to have one just like yours many years ago, once you put them outside reach out the sunlight. The white part will become more yellow and the black paint will come out. I sold it to a friend of mine, few years ago he lost interest of keeping tortoise and give back to me. I can show you what he looks like it you want me to disappointed you.

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
Let me share some of the Somalia leopard to you. It’s from a friend of mine visited a tortoise farm in China. View attachment 256412View attachment 256413View attachment 256414

In the Asian pet trade I know some of breeder Making these kind of looking. Call snow leopard. The way they do just have this animal never reach out the real sun light, feed more then usual, some of the Individual will eat more then others, so they pick these up, let calcium precipitation continues growing. I used to have one just like yours many years ago, once you put them outside reach out the sunlight. The white part will become more yellow and the black paint will come out. I sold it to a friend of mine, few years ago he lost interest of keeping tortoise and give back to me. I can show you what he looks like it you want me to disappointed you.
Hi i want.. @kazjimmy please send me the picture of that tortoise now.. it would be great if i can see the baby picture as well.. thanks so much dude

Somalianpardalis

Indonesia
Let me share some of the Somalia leopard to you. It’s from a friend of mine visited a tortoise farm in China. View attachment 256412View attachment 256413View attachment 256414

And CMIIW... your friend visit china it is pardalis pardalis.. not somalian..