5cm
5,5cm
6,5cm

January 2018
5,5 cm
6,5 cm
7,5 cm
8,3 cm

They have grown so much (except the smallest).
What is very interesting is to compare their personalities, shy for some, adventurous for others. I wish they become as friendly as my red foot.

I am very happy, they still have smooth shell.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Great looking group! Their lines seem to match up almost perfectly. Are you keeping weight records? I’m curious how their weights match up with the growth you have mentioned.

kobe

india
beautifull stars very good enclosure
seems like u r giving them outdoor enclosure
which is the best!
what are their feeding habits?

what are their ages?
genders?

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
beautifull stars very good enclosure
seems like u r giving them outdoor enclosure
which is the best!
what are their feeding habits?

what are their ages?
genders?

They are too young to know their genders, they are born in 2016.

Regarding the food, it is fresh food on Sunday and Friday such as Lettuce, Opuntia, Hibiscus leaves and Flowers, dandelion... On Wednesday it is exoterra European sticks.. I wish I could buy Mazuri Ls, they are in live with it. But it is very difficult to receive them in the Caribbean.

I have the chance to have a warm weather all year so yes they are outdoor. The wet season has just end, they are basking for hours.

kobe

india
They are too young to know their genders, they are born in 2016.

Regarding the food, it is fresh food on Sunday and Friday such as Lettuce, Opuntia, Hibiscus leaves and Flowers, dandelion... On Wednesday it is exoterra European sticks.. I wish I could buy Mazuri Ls, they are in live with it. But it is very difficult to receive them in the Caribbean.

I have the chance to have a warm weather all year so yes they are outdoor. The wet season has just end, they are basking for hours.

Cool
Happy to see your beautiful stars
Getting the best enclosure from you

Kobe.

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
IMG_0977.jpgIMG_0986.jpgIMG_0987.jpgIMG_0991.jpgIMG_0990.jpgIMG_0976.jpg

Here is a full perspective of the enclosure.
3 meters long, 57 cm large.

I want to add 1 or 2 hideouts, I am also going to change the actual one for a tortoise cave or something like that, in order to keep them more or less dry when it the wet season.

It is just a temporary enclosure. When they will become subadult, I will put them in a bigger enclosure.

kobe

india
thanks man for sharing ur enclosures pic
very good
can i know what kind of plants

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
Great looking group! Their lines seem to match up almost perfectly. Are you keeping weight records? I’m curious how their weights match up with the growth you have mentioned.

No, I am not keeping weight records? Should I ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I watch weight more than I do length. I can visually see the growth seams if present and how they are adding new growth. Their weight is a better indicator of how healthy they are. A loss of weight would not necessarily be something you see or feel over time. As adults, they often grow very little, but their weight is important to monitor. A loss of weight is sometimes the first sign something is wrong. OR... For example, a female with sudden gains could be ready to lay. Or a sudden loss means I need to look for eggs I missed!

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ

Mark said it perfectly of course. Weight changes are a great early indicator that something may be going on with a tortoise. Since your herd is outside it is more difficult to monitor how much they are eating versus if they are kept indoors. Mine graze freely, so taking weekly weights helps me notice changes easier.

For example, one of my stars was not gaining any weight over the course of 3 months, even with increased Mazuri feedings. I was concerned so I got a fecal done, and it was confirmed he had a high parasite load. Without taking consistent weights, I would not have noticed, as his outward appearance and behavior had not changed.

If you do take weight measurements, post them! I would love to see if length increases have a ratio to weight gains!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mark said it perfectly of course. Weight changes are a great early indicator that something may be going on with a tortoise. Since your herd is outside it is more difficult to monitor how much they are eating versus if they are kept indoors. Mine graze freely, so taking weekly weights helps me notice changes easier.

For example, one of my stars was not gaining any weight over the course of 3 months, even with increased Mazuri feedings. I was concerned so I got a fecal done, and it was confirmed he had a high parasite load. Without taking consistent weights, I would not have noticed, as his outward appearance and behavior had not changed.

If you do take weight measurements, post them! I would love to see if length increases have a ratio to weight gains!

As you may have notice from my posts, I tend to be a bit analytical. I have always weighed and measured my tortoises. I started finding decades ago, that I would watch the ratio of weight to volume of a tortoise and it is quite accurate. I know other often post a reference to a formula online, that I have found does not work all the time. Jacksons ratio or something. I could never rely on that and sill use the one I have used for over 40 years now.

I do have (imagine that) pretty exact measuring devices. I use calipers to measure and keep everything in a spreadsheet now so it is easier as the spreadsheet calculates for me. I measure monthly except for my large sulcatas.

Enter the carapace length, width (widest part at center ignoring any flared rear marginals) and height (at center of mid costal). That is in 100th of inches. I enter the weight in grams (preferably towards end of bath). I use the weight / (length X width X height) the result should be between 7.5 and 9.0. If I ever have a tortoise come in under 7.5, I watch it very carefully until it gets above that mark. All tortoises I have ever kept normally stay right around 8.0 - 8.5

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
As you may have notice from my posts, I tend to be a bit analytical. I have always weighed and measured my tortoises. I started finding decades ago, that I would watch the ratio of weight to volume of a tortoise and it is quite accurate. I know other often post a reference to a formula online, that I have found does not work all the time. Jacksons ratio or something. I could never rely on that and sill use the one I have used for over 40 years now.

I do have (imagine that) pretty exact measuring devices. I use calipers to measure and keep everything in a spreadsheet now so it is easier as the spreadsheet calculates for me. I measure monthly except for my large sulcatas.

Enter the carapace length, width (widest part at center ignoring any flared rear marginals) and height (at center of mid costal). That is in 100th of inches. I enter the weight in grams (preferably towards end of bath). I use the weight / (length X width X height) the result should be between 7.5 and 9.0. If I ever have a tortoise come in under 7.5, I watch it very carefully until it gets above that mark. All tortoises I have ever kept normally stay right around 8.0 - 8.5

Mark I am excited to try this method. Funny you mention calipers, as I have been looking for one since I saw Chris Leone post a photo of a large star using a caliper in one of your threads. Do you have a recommendation for a caliper? Most of the 12 inch (300mm) calipers I have searched for are expensive $80+. Digital, analog?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
i am most careful about weight and ratios with young, actively growing tortoises. So the caliper I use most, and easiest to use is this one. It actually will measure out to almost 9" and the digital readout is easy to read. Measuring a tortoise takes less than a minute. I like this design much better than the standard caliper that is on a sliding bar, because it allow for measurement without the curve of the shell getting in the way as they get a bit larger.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PU77Q8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

With my Burmese stars, I found I wanted to track this beyond 9". A digital caliper bigger than 6" is quite expensive as you've found. I use this one that measures out to 12". I only have to use it on the larger tortoises for their length, as I can still use the other for width and height.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYFIZRS/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Once a tortoise is past 12", I only track weight.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
i am most careful about weight and ratios with young, actively growing tortoises. So the caliper I use most, and easiest to use is this one. It actually will measure out to almost 9" and the digital readout is easy to read. Measuring a tortoise takes less than a minute. I like this design much better than the standard caliper that is on a sliding bar, because it allow for measurement without the curve of the shell getting in the way as they get a bit larger.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PU77Q8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

With my Burmese stars, I found I wanted to track this beyond 9". A digital caliper bigger than 6" is quite expensive as you've found. I use this one that measures out to 12". I only have to use it on the larger tortoises for their length, as I can still use the other for width and height.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYFIZRS/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Once a tortoise is past 12", I only track weight.

Awesome, much more cost effective, and I doubt my stars will ever get past 9 inches. Thanks!