The worst month of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello all. I haven't been on here much because last month, on August 27th, my mother passed away suddenly.
No one on here really knows me well enough to know this, but my mother truly was my best friend. I spent everyday with her, called her/texted if we weren't around...it was devastating to me.

From that moment on, things have been going downhill to put it mildly. The culmination, my last straw, was the sudden passing of Piglet today. I am hoping someone may have an idea as to what could have happened.

He was lethargic in the morning, and I decided to give him a baby food soak (carrot) to see if I could rouse his appetite. I was dropping my husband off at work, and the carrot gerber was on sale for $0.45, so I thought why not? He ALWAYS eats in the mornings, and I honestly thought this could not hurt because the nutrients are good anyway, right? He had not been in the sun for the past two days, so this would make up for it, I hoped.
Unfortunately, that did not do the trick. Quite the opposite. He passed away moments after the start of the soak. I was stunned. In all honestly, I actually set him in his outdoor enclosure for a good 20 minutes because I could not even believe he could have passed away so quickly.

If anyone has any idea on what could have happened PLEASE let me know. A sudden death such as this does not seem common, and it was very shocking and devastating to say the very least.

The last thing he ate was watermelon yesterday. The temps were between 78 (cool) and about 83-85 (warm). He was kept very humid, but that is normal for this type of tortoise (and possibly for most others, but I understand that that is a debatable topic for some). He drank plenty of water everyday. One thing I will say, which was weird, was right before *I* went to sleep last night (around 1 am), he kept opening his mouth (like yawning). There were no bubbles, however, and no wheezing.

Thank you in advance for any information you guys can give me.

I put this into the off-topic section because of my mentioning my mom's passing. I was going to mention a lot more, but I don't feel I should burden anyone with reading my other woes. I fully understand if a mod wants to move this.

babylove6635

5 Year Member
im so sorry for your losses ill bet it has all been overwelming for you. i dont have the answer for you but i did want to say i do under stand the loss you must be feeling. and i prey for you to heel. judy

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
babylove6635 said:
im so sorry for your losses ill bet it has all been overwelming for you. i dont have the answer for you but i did want to say i do under stand the loss you must be feeling. and i prey for you to heel. judy

Thank you kindly, Judy.
The only thing I can take away from this, is that (my personal belief) my mom has Piglet with her now. She adored him (though she called Piglet a girl...it was a bet we had going...).
Thank you again

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It does not sound like you did anything wrong, the only thing I can point at is the yawning, but that is not always a sign of an illness. I am always concerned when a tortoise stops eating, has the appetite always been weak? or did this start a little while ago? Condolences for your mom and tortoise.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am sorry for your losses. I will keep you in my prayers.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
dmmj said:
It does not sound like you did anything wrong, the only thing I can point at is the yawning, but that is not always a sign of an illness. I am always concerned when a tortoise stops eating, has the appetite always been weak? or did this start a little while ago? Condolences for your mom and tortoise.

I assumed his appetite was just fine for his size, but maybe I wrong this entire time? This morning was the first time that he literally ate nothing (and refused to drink, too, which was even worse because he LOVED water).
On a normal fruit day, he could eat almost an entire strawberry no problem. He might even had a dandelion after that if he was just grazing around.

Missy said:
I am sorry for your losses. I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you kindly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Its terrible to lose someone that close to you. I appreciate your thought about Piglet being with your mother. I like that. But you'll never know if she won the bet. :p

I think what you saw as yawning was actually gasping for breath. Piglet may have had something stuck in his throat, or maybe he had a respiratory infection that you weren't able to see because of hidden symptoms. The only way to know why he died is through a necropsy. But the open mouth you saw is a good symptom that something was wrong.

That's just such bad news. I'm so sorry.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Hi Stephanie:

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Its terrible to lose someone that close to you. I appreciate your thought about Piglet being with your mother. I like that. But you'll never know if she won the bet. :p

I think what you saw as yawning was actually gasping for breath. Piglet may have had something stuck in his throat, or maybe he had a respiratory infection that you weren't able to see because of hidden symptoms. The only way to know why he died is through a necropsy. But the open mouth you saw is a good symptom that something was wrong.

That's just such bad news. I'm so sorry.

I'm going to still call him a boy. It will take decades (knock on wood) for me to find out! =P

Yvonne I was worried about the infection possibility, but why the heck did I only see it last night? He drank water after that, but I was still concerned. I feel like I really let Piglet down. The yawning really freaked me out, and the when he didn't eat this morning I thought a trip to the vet was imminent if the Gerber did not work.
I did not think he would pass away, though...I'm just so confused. I'm angry, too.

Calamala

5 Year Member
I can not give you any suggestions on your Piglet, but I just wanted to say how very sorry I am for your loss. I lost my father to a car accident a little over three years ago. We too were very close, we worked a retail store together for 10 years, we were next door neighbors, and he ate dinner with me and the family 5+ nights a week. The morning he died we planned grouper dinner and by dinner time he was gone. My whole life flipped upside down and I broke. To this day I miss him just as much as the first week, BUT....it is different kind of emotions. I can now talk about him with great joy and remembrance, and not cry. I can look at his pictures and smile. So as cliche' as it sounds I promise you...IT DOES GET BETTER!!! Again I am so sorry for your loss, as I know all to well how it feels to loose your best pet as well. :(

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Stephanie, I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it is to have a close family member be your best friend. And lose that person. I also know what it is to love a pet just as a family member and lose that pet.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You saw the problem and you were trying to help. It just didn't work out this time. Don't beat yourself up and ask why...because we may never know why.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I'm sorry for your losses, and I will and have Prayed for you the LORD is always their for you, I wanted to let you know that. Sorry again.

C

Claireabbo

im sooo sorry for your losses! if you ever need anyone to talk to i will be here and im sure everyone else on here would too. i cant answer your question im sorry... :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am so sorry about your little tortoise. Sometimes these things happen and we just never will know why.
I know how you must feel loosing your Mom. I too lost my best friend in all the world. My son. Someone sent me a mass card and wrote this to me, and it helped me, so I hope it helps you too.
"You'll never get over it. It's never going to be OK, and once you accept that you realize you never want to get over it. Just kind of let it sit with you and let it be a part of who you are now."
The only thing I can say is that time will never heal your loss, but soon it will be a little easier to accept. Hugs....

M

Maggie Cummings

That's just awful and you have my condolences. It sounds to me like he was gasping for air, did the watermelon have seeds? I can't remember if Piglet is big or small but could he have choked on a seed? I'm just real sorry, I certainly know how confusing and angry that would make you. I really know how you feel...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I am very sorry for your losses. I hope that you do not question yourself too much about Piglet. I do not think I would have done anything differently, and sometimes these things happen and there is nothing we can do to prevent them.

I am also very close to my mother, and I cannot imagine losing her. My condolences.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
my deepest sympathy for the passing of your mom, and now the added burden of losing Piglet. When my mom died, I wanted to die also. I never knew depression could be so deep. It takes a long time, but it does get easier.... Please continue to post here - we are all here for you.

My prayers and hugs for you and your family. I'm sorry I cannot add any info regarding Piglet.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have been through unbearable losses. Piglet died so suddenly, you can't blame yourself. You simply did not have time to do anything else.
So sorry to hear about your Mom.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I am so sorry for the loss of your Mother, losing a parent is so hard. We are here for you and don't mind if you cry on our shoulders, that what friends are for! {{{{HUGS}}}}

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I know you've heard it over and over - but I too am sorry for both of your losses. I can only imagine how it feels to lose two close family members in the same month. Pets become family. Don't spend your days dwelling wondering how it could of happened - but like you said, know that Piglet is in good hands with your mother. I hope that things will begin to look up for you and that your family, husband, can help you through it all.
-C

Status
Not open for further replies.