The trip that started it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hey all,

Just came across these pics earlier this evening and thought I would share them.

In March of 2009 I took the trip of lifetime to Ecuador and The Galapagos. It was here, at The Charles Darwin Research Center that my love affair with Tortoises began. I was in awe of the gentle giants that called this place home.

2 years later I have my own (much smaller) gentle giant in Shelldon, my 11 month-old Eastern Hermanns.

Enjoy!

408.jpg

414.jpg

417.jpg

418.jpg

426.jpg

428.jpg

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
AWSOME!!!!! that would b sooooooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooo cool to see in person :D :D :D :D i wish i was a mouse in ur pocket then :) LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! Just look at the size of the one in front in the first picture.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Aw, what a fun trip. I wish I got to pet them and see them in person :D

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Love it!!! Tortoises are amazing animals... Seeing these guys gives me goosebumps and makes me want to play with my torts!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Great pictures, what made you want to go to the islands? leisure? or research?

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone!

My trip to The Galapagos was all pure PLEASURE! A life changing week spent yachting through the islands. The visit to the Charles Darwin Research Station on Santa Cruz was on the second last day of the journey.

We were very lucky as they don't normally allow visitors into the enclosure with the adult torts, let alone to feed them and get so close.

I initially resented the presence of my peers in the first picture, however now realize that their presence provides a wonderful perspective of the size of the beasts.
Although I may be remembering incorrectly, I am almost certain that we were told that all of the torts in the first pic were adult males, approximately 80 years old and 500 pounds. With the tort knowledge that I now have, I find it hard to believe that 8 males would co-habitate???????

I distinctly remember that every step they took looked soooooo laborious. They just dragged themselves along to get to the food.

I was also able to meet Lonesome George while I was there, albeit from a slight distance as he was courting a new lass.
For those that are unfamiliar with Lonesome George here is an article describing his journey.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/22/lonesome-george-galapagos-tortoise-father
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelonoidis_nigra_abingdoni

The babies were housed in 5 different pens, one for each year of age. In their 6th year, they would all be relocated to the wild with a much greater start to life and enhanced chances of survival. Each baby had a number painted on their back for identification purposes. The number itself indicated the mother from which they hatched and the colour indicated the island of origin.

I am so happy that I have finally found people to share these images with that are as enamoured with them as I am. I'd love to go back again now that I know so much more about tortoises in general.
Perahps we should plan a TF road trip? LOL.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
What a fantastic experience Lori. Unforgettable. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.