Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
11qizar.jpg

This book is a compilation of several different articles written by several authors. It is "A publication of the Turtle Conservancy."

The first three pages feature writings from Peter Pritchard, Archie Carr, and Eric Goode. Everyone who likes chelonians ought to know who those three are.

The book has articles on Ploughshares, Bolsons, Geometrics, and a really neat article about surplus sulcatas being used to rescue native island plants. It also explains in great detail how some of the very first sulcatas came to the states, through Honolulu from France in 1971, and then eventually to none other than William Zovikian. Bill lived in Connecticut at the time and when he got tired of carting them in and out all the time, he traded them to the San Antonio Zoo where the first captive born US hatchlings came about in 1979.

I liked the book and found it very informative, but the book leans heavily to the conservation side of things and not so much to the pet keeper side of things. There is some balance in parts of the book, but you can tell the people writing are often against the pet trade, while other authors see and understand the benefits the pet trade and private breeding can have for a species. Its a mixed bag for sure, but well worth reading if you are into turtles or tortoises.

I bought my book from Russ Gurley of the TTPG, who had a booth at the last Anaheim reptile show. Not sure where else you might be able to find it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The authors are conservation biologists and the pet trade has had a significant impact on global chelonian populations, thus the slant on conservation. I can't really say anymore than this since I haven't read it, but I'm compelled to given your thoughts above.

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for owning South American tortoises that the IUCN has designated "vulnerable" under their conservation status. I've been toying with the idea of providing my hatchlings (many years from now) for conservation efforts (mainly population reintroduction/augmentation) in areas where they are doing poorly. I can't even imagine the paperwork involved and in situ conservation is not always a very successful approach. There's issues with genetics, the fitness of captive-bred individuals, re-introductory stress (handling, transport, etc.) reducing successful establishment, etc.

Okay, I'm just blabbering on and on here. I'll have to pick up a copy of this and give it a good read, thanks for sharing Tom.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
The authors are conservation biologists and the pet trade has had a significant impact on global chelonian populations, thus the slant on conservation. I can't really say anymore than this since I haven't read it, but I'm compelled to given your thoughts above.

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for owning South American tortoises that the IUCN has designated "vulnerable" under their conservation status. I've been toying with the idea of providing my hatchlings (many years from now) for conservation efforts (mainly population reintroduction/augmentation) in areas where they are doing poorly. I can't even imagine the paperwork involved and in situ conservation is not always a very successful approach. There's issues with genetics, the fitness of captive-bred individuals, re-introductory stress (handling, transport, etc.) reducing successful establishment, etc.

Okay, I'm just blabbering on and on here. I'll have to pick up a copy of this and give it a good read, thanks for sharing Tom.

There are really no conservation efforts with any population of Redfoot Tortoises. The IUCN has declared the majority of Chelonian species as vulnerable or threatened. To be honest, the IUCN is more an advocate group than anything. There is nothing wrong with that, but a lot of their "labels" are based on international trade or trends, rather than applied research.......

CITES has a better handle on things in my opinion.......

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Interesting, even more interesting is that the first captive born Sullys came right from my back yard. I feel obligated to own one now!!!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I got my copy from Allen Salzberg of HerpDigest. It was a really good read. I particularly enjoyed all of the articles. The articles on the Ploughshare and Sulcata were really great. I loved the Actinemys marmorata article since I keep that species. Also learned alot in that article about the Jakarta market.

I am probably going to join the Turtle Conservancy this year so I don't have to get this book from someone else. We'll see though, since 100 dollar dues are nothing for me personally to sneeze at, especially since all the dues for the TSA and everyhting else come due at the same time.

Love this book. I can't wait to get the next one, whether it be from Allen or TC membership.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Fantastic publication...and it isn't really a "book", but a periodical. And since it will be published yearly by Turtle Conservancy, I don't expect it to NOT be focused on the conservation. I was somewhat disappointed with the length of TSA's new magazine, but this effort by the Turtle Conservancy made up for it.

As far as the discussion of IUCN Redlist labels, I would disagree that they seem to label everything vulnerable or endangered. In fact, species I figured would have a higher ranking are either "near threatened" or "least concern". The IUCN Redlist has also been doing a better job of keeping things up to date.

The newest criteria also includes studies done in their ranges and habitats and isn't solely based on global trends, either.

Yes, the may occasionally lean toward the "safe" end of the scale when applying the labels, but I don't exactly see it as a bad thing. And as far as CITES being a better guage...well, CITES is part of the IUCN, so look at that as you will. They are one and the same entity; CITES was designed by the IUCN.

Status
Not open for further replies.