The Tortoise Table App (Plant Database): Testers wanted

stevebaldwin21

5 Year Member
Hi Guys!

I hope this is not treated as spam - my intentions are to benefit the tortoise owners community!

I am the author of the Android/iOS Tortoise Table app. We are looking to do a big new release shortly with a host of new features. We would like to get some alpha/beta testers who would be interested in trying the new features out and giving us some feedback on your experience.

Here's a summary of the new features;
  • Thousands of images of the plants which have been extracted from multiple sources (Atlas, GBIF, POWO etc..) and pinch/zoom capabilities on all of the images
  • Better UI experience, cleaner and more friendly
  • Better search functionality, search for common names, scientific and primary names
  • Additional filtering options (Phylum, Class, Order, Safety, Colour, Categories)
  • Glossary definitions on descriptions
  • Significantly faster than the previous iteration
  • No offline setup anymore - included as part of the app. Install and go!
If you are curious and have not seen the app or the website before;

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stevelib.thetortoisetable

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/the-tortoise-table/id1266482180

Please let me know below and I will post the links shortly to accessing the beta releases.

If you follow The Tortoise Table on Facebook, a post will be made where you can show your interest if you wish instead :).

Thanks!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
@snitchdnb21, can you tell me what we might be identifying right now? I‘m not bad at identifying plants but as my tortoise will be brumating shortly I won’t be taking many photos.

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
You can join the beta programs by clicking on the links below on your devices;

iOS: https://testflight.apple.com/join/DyCUDcum
Android: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.stevelib.thetortoisetable

Please feel free to email me or post on here with any suggestions or problems you encounter.

Is there any plan to add a "what plant is this" functionality? Much like PlantNet or similar? Asking as I currently use one app to identify and then tortoise table to look up. :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It would be great if you would cite sources for your fear mongering advice. "has saponins, may cause blindness" is a fear mongering manner of sharing information. You fail to mention the saponin content was amplified 1,00's of times in a distillate and fed to rats. So it goes with a great many of the advisories on the database.

The database even suggested (past tense, it has been updated) that rose petals were harmful, when the 'details' button was pressed the advisory was limited to florist roses based on preservative in the water use by florists. True enough that is likely not a good thing to consume. How many 100's or 1,000's of people would not feed never-sprayed rose petals out of their own gardens based on that non-sense advisory.

Cite your sources.

stevebaldwin21

5 Year Member
Is there any plan to add a "what plant is this" functionality? Much like PlantNet or similar? Asking as I currently use one app to identify and then tortoise table to look up. :)

Hey,

I think this is a great idea and we are looking at integrating with PlantNet directly. However, the cost is a big issue for us currently so we are looking at possible solutions.

Thank you!

stevebaldwin21

5 Year Member
It would be great if you would cite sources for your fear mongering advice. "has saponins, may cause blindness" is a fear mongering manner of sharing information. You fail to mention the saponin content was amplified 1,00's of times in a distillate and fed to rats. So it goes with a great many of the advisories on the database.

The database even suggested (past tense, it has been updated) that rose petals were harmful, when the 'details' button was pressed the advisory was limited to florist roses based on preservative in the water use by florists. True enough that is likely not a good thing to consume. How many 100's or 1,000's of people would not feed never-sprayed rose petals out of their own gardens based on that non-sense advisory.

Cite your sources.

Thank you for your input!

I personally do not author or manage any content (descriptions, safety etc.) that appear on the plant listings and I think your points are absolutely valid. My intention is not to spread fear-mongering - I'm am not part of the Tortoise Table so I can only forward your comments on to the group about these concerns. I simply try to provide this information to users easily via (a hopefully useful) app. If there is something you believe would be beneficial to help prevent 'fear-mongering' on the app I would certainly be interested in discussing this with the group.

Thank you :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Frankly I was hoping you might be a direct line. I've spoken with a few of the primary listing authors. They say citing sources is out of their domain - more or less. Thanks for hearing me.

Thank you for your input!

I personally do not author or manage any content (descriptions, safety etc.) that appear on the plant listings and I think your points are absolutely valid. My intention is not to spread fear-mongering - I'm am not part of the Tortoise Table so I can only forward your comments on to the group about these concerns. I simply try to provide this information to users easily via (a hopefully useful) app. If there is something you believe would be beneficial to help prevent 'fear-mongering' on the app I would certainly be interested in discussing this with the group.

Thank you :)