The Tortoise Forum App is going to be disabled on Oct 1, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Why did we/do we need a separate "app" when the forum works fine on any device already? I thought TFO was an app? How was this separate app different than the regular TFO that I am used to?

TFO is a website forum which you access through a browser.

Apps are created to make things easier for users of small screens and should optimise the loading of data so it is faster and cleaner and not struggling due to whatever signal strength you have.

Personally, on my small phone screen I find the app less cluttered with ads, better laid out and a larger clearer font.

My eyesight combined with my phone screen don’t cope well with the website version of this site which is why I am hoping that getting to it via the Tapatalk app will still work and allow me to carry on as now.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just go to a website then go to settings on your browser and choose DESKTOP SITE. You wont ask that question again. It likes trying to pick up spaghetti noodles with a spoon alone. it can be done but makes a mess

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Does anyone access TFO through the paid version of Tapatalk? Is it worth paying for?
I do. I paid for 2 reasons. First, I get no ads at all. Not one.

Second, if I like an app and use it a lot, I like to support the developer.

It only costs $5.00 per year...I think it's definitely worth it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I do. I paid for 2 reasons. First, I get no ads at all. Not one.

Second, if I like an app and use it a lot, I like to support the developer.

It only costs $5.00 per year...I think it's definitely worth it.

It’s £9.99 on the UK app store; double the price [emoji33] That may well be due to the value of the pound crashing though :( Glad to know it’s worth it. Fingers crossed that TFO carries on working through it now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TFO is a website forum which you access through a browser.

Apps are created to make things easier for users of small screens and should optimise the loading of data so it is faster and cleaner and not struggling due to whatever signal strength you have.

Personally, on my small phone screen I find the app less cluttered with ads, better laid out and a larger clearer font.

My eyesight combined with my phone screen don’t cope well with the website version of this site which is why I am hoping that getting to it via the Tapatalk app will still work and allow me to carry on as now.
I am soooooooooooo behind the times when it comes to tech...

I can't download any of the cool new apps to my cell phone because I refuse to do their stupid updates that mess everything up. Usually by the time I need a new phone, they tell me I'm 18 updates behind. Gone are the days when you buy a new thing, like it as is, and want it to just continue working as it did when you bought it. Their "improvements" usually aren't.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am soooooooooooo behind the times when it comes to tech...

I can't download any of the cool new apps to my cell phone because I refuse to do their stupid updates that mess everything up. Usually by the time I need a new phone, they tell me I'm 18 updates behind. Gone are the days when you buy a new thing, like it as is, and want it to just continue working as it did when you bought it. Their "improvements" usually aren't.
It's true that updates to the operating system (Iphone or Android) will make big changes to your phone.

But most updates, at least on Android, are individual app updates that improve the functionality of the apps you already have.

Most of the "system" updates I get are to protect against new viruses, hackers' tricks, and to improve safety while on web sites.

In the long run, you are better off updating as suggested. [emoji57]

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Another good thing about Tapatalk is if you subscribe to other forums, they are all right there together. I get notifications from TFO and Fishlore; I tap on a notification and it takes me to the associated forum.

All in a clean, unjumbled, easy to read interface.
@Tom
Your tarantula, lizard, and falconry forums are probably all on Tapatalk. No more putting in web addresses or opening individual apps.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Lol it was easier to scroll through on the app and just silently read everything. Being on the website shows how inactive I am compared to everyone! Maybe I will participate more now.....

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I found the app more convenient, but I completely support the reasoning behind discontinuing it. It's scary to think of how much data the app would have access to, and if Tapatalk is misusing that.

The content on TFO is what makes this place so valuable. I'll be here however I have to get here :D

CuriousTortoise

swansea
The forum is a total mess in my phone browser, ads and logo, menu and text kinda merges together to an unreadable jumble, so i do prefer to use the app. Im barely on my pc these days :)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It costs a lot of money for a website to have a personalised Tapatalk app and that cost is probably not sustainable for a smaller forum.

You can install native Tapatalk on your device and access the forum through that. Whether that will continue to work after October 31 I don’t know. I shall certainly be trying it.

Can you give us some pointers on how to do this??

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Tapatalk is an app that talks to the forum instead of the browser you use (Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox)

It presents the website in a clearer format for small screens.

Josh pays Tapatalk for a customised version of Tapatalk which means that a TFO app can be downloaded from the app store. People using the TFO app are generally unaware that actually it is customised Tapatalk.

It is this customised version of Tapatalk that is going.

It won’t affect anyone who uses the forum through the web browser on their mobile device.

Those that use the customised app, like me, can try:
1. Downloading the basic Tapatalk app from the app store and trying to login to TFO through it. This may or may not carry on working.

2. Login to TFO through the web browser on their device.

Should have read everything g before asking! Sorry [emoji52]

Status
Not open for further replies.