The Tortoise Forum App is going to be disabled on Oct 1, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I'm a geezer - I use the cell phone AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE! I'd much rather gaze at tortoise photos on a 27" iMac instead of a little phone screen. I'd rather type on a regular keyboard instead of a little phone screen. And the sound from videos is infinitely better on a nice set of computer speakers than the little bitty things they put in cell phones. So in a nut shell, I won't miss the app because I never knew it existed, and even if I had known, I never would have used it. These young folks and their addiction to the cell phone continues to mystify me...of course, I still dearly miss chrome bumpers on cars.

Thank you for calling me young, but I am 55. Not all of us can afford the luxury of a 27” iMac.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I'm a geezer - I use the cell phone AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE! I'd much rather gaze at tortoise photos on a 27" iMac instead of a little phone screen. I'd rather type on a regular keyboard instead of a little phone screen. And the sound from videos is infinitely better on a nice set of computer speakers than the little bitty things they put in cell phones. So in a nut shell, I won't miss the app because I never knew it existed, and even if I had known, I never would have used it. These young folks and their addiction to the cell phone continues to mystify me...of course, I still dearly miss chrome bumpers on cars.

Haha I’m not young either I’m 37

I don’t have time to sit around on a computer viewing the forum. Mine is always done on the go. I am mainly viewing while I’m travelling on the train to work or in my break. I don’t even have time to watch TV. I’m out from 6am until 7pm so the app was brilliant for me.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
silly question... is there a difference in the app from Europe to US? Android to Iphone? I was using it on android in the US and it never seemed to go as smoothly as when i was on my phone's browser

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@Josh , I'm a real computer user most of the time, no matter the software. I fully understand your reasoning and see no alternative for you, so agree with your choice and the conviction behind it.

BTW, I just got a facebook post suggesting I upgrade to using TFO via it's regular web presence. 'cause they all get all out data anyways. Look, a windmill...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
silly question... is there a difference in the app from Europe to US? Android to Iphone? I was using it on android in the US and it never seemed to go as smoothly as when i was on my phone's browser

By nation no difference as far as I am aware. The iOS app and the Android app are written for different platforms, but supposed to work the same.

When I had both an Android tablet and an iPhone, the Android version of he app was always more buggy. I only use the iOS version now.

However, that’s immaterial now. This decision isn’t entirely unexpected and we have to live with it. Josh has given his reasons which are fair. I am not sure how selling data on will square with EU Data Protection law. Tapatalk will find themselves paying substantial fines if they have started doing this.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I use the app most all the time so it sucks... but, I know how to get to the mobile version. I’ll make it work:) it’s good that you try to protect our info.
You can do a shortcut to CDR and see a lot from your smartphone. It even alerts my little cheap phone if an e-mail comes. Mostly they're from the CDR anyway so...I can go on my email from the computer and take up where I left off.Kind of.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Haha I’m not young either I’m 37

I don’t have time to sit around on a computer viewing the forum. Mine is always done on the go. I am mainly viewing while I’m travelling on the train to work or in my break. I don’t even have time to watch TV. I’m out from 6am until 7pm so the app was brilliant for me.
Hahaha...37 is a really fun age. Not too old not too young. Just in the middle.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I tried the app for a little while, but found it harder to navigate to some things than by using the website. It was certainly a nice concept, but just wasn't for me. While we are on the subject @Josh , I've noticed that the Profile/Inbox/Alerts links at the top of the website home page on my phone are are a bit far to the right (I have to scroll to the right to see them). All other pages besides the home page appear fine. I am using Chrome as my browser. Not sure if this is affecting anyone else.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If I were a millennial I would on the edge of tall building ready to jump! As it is the app was easier because the phone is so powerful nowadays! Tough decision but thanks for choosing to safeguard US!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I just went to the browser on my iPhone just to see...

I’ve got ALOT of learning to do.. I’ve always been relatively smart but it took a minute ( or two) to even figure out how to log in... Nothing looks the same...
and it shows over 24000 alerts

I saw a post from someone in Longview asking me for a good local vet.... OVER A YEAR AGO...
man, I’m so sorry! I never saw that!

Relic

Here
Thank you for calling me young, but I am 55. Not all of us can afford the luxury of a 27” iMac.
Forgive me for my thoughtlessness. I am retired, healthy, and comfortable - I am blessed beyond measure - and I in no way meant to belittle anyone, in any way. Thank you for reminding me. Honestly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What about us lazy guys? Now I have to open safari, type in tortoise forum and login!!!!

Only joking, “Life finds a way”;)
On my Kindle it saves a little icon for frequently used sites, so I just click the icon and TFO on the browser comes up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tried the app for a little while, but found it harder to navigate to some things than by using the website. It was certainly a nice concept, but just wasn't for me. While we are on the subject @Josh , I've noticed that the Profile/Inbox/Alerts links at the top of the website home page on my phone are are a bit far to the right (I have to scroll to the right to see them). All other pages besides the home page appear fine. I am using Chrome as my browser. Not sure if this is affecting anyone else.
maybe your screen's picture is too big. Try pinching it to make it smaller.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just went to the browser on my iPhone just to see...

I’ve got ALOT of learning to do.. I’ve always been relatively smart but it took a minute ( or two) to even figure out how to log in... Nothing looks the same...
and it shows over 24000 alerts

I saw a post from someone in Longview asking me for a good local vet.... OVER A YEAR AGO...
man, I’m so sorry! I never saw that!
Just look at everything you were missng!!

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hahaha...37 is a really fun age. Not too old not too young. Just in the middle.

Haha it don’t feel like a fun age Cathie, I feel 21 in my mind but my body feels about 61 at times.

I’m going to embrace this and try and set it up on my phone today. I have used the browser once or twice before so let’s give it a go.

Philip Rome

Hampshire
You can do a shortcut to CDR and see a lot from your smartphone. It even alerts my little cheap phone if an e-mail comes. Mostly they're from the CDR anyway so...I can go on my email from the computer and take up where I left off.Kind of.

What is CDR?
I only use my mobile app. The website is not mobile friendly and adverts everywhere so you can’t read the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.