The Tort Who Walked By Herself. By Tidgy's Dad.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I must of course apologise to one of my personal top writers ever and this is actually my favourite story of all time. If you're a mum, or a dad and you don't read this to your children, then I despair. Do it.
Please don't post anything on this thread, I have set up another thread here https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-tort-who-walked-by-herself-chat-page.184920/
so you can all be horrid to me and Tidgy here and not spoil the flow of the thread.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
20200805_175021-1.jpg
Hmmm.
It should be HEAR and attend and listen,; for this befell and behappend and became, O my Romantic Roommates, when the Tame animals were wild.
The Dog was wild, and the Horse was wild, and the Cow was wild, and the Sheep was wild, and the Cat was wild, and the Pig was wild - as wild as wild could be - and they walked in the Wet Wild Woods by their wild lones.
But the wildest of all the wild animals was the Tortoise. She walked by herself and all places were alike to her.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Of course Adam was wild too. He was dreadfully wild.
2Wild Adam1.jpg
He didn't even begin to become tame til he met wifey, and she told him that she did not like living in his wild ways.
She picked out a nice dry Cave, instead of a heap of wet leaves, to lie down in; and she strewed clean sand on the floor; and she lit a nice fire of wood at the back of the Cave; and she hung a dried wild-horse skin, tail down, across the opening to the Cave; and she said, 'Wipe your feet, dear, when you come in, and now we'll keep house.'

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That night, Rosaceous Roommates, they ate wild sheep roasted on the hot stones, ( which is probably why the Sheep doesn't appear in this story again) and flavoured with wild garlic and wild pepper; and wild duck stuffed with wild rice and wild fenugreek and wild coriander; and marrow bones of wild oxen; and wild cherries, and wild grenadillas. Then Adam went to sleep in front of the fire ever so happy; but wifey sat up, combing her hair.
20200808_171856-1.jpg
She took the bone of the shoulder of mutton - the big flat blade bone (see above. No, not wifey, a couple of posts before!) - and she looked at the wonderful marks on it, and she threw more wood on the fire, and she made a Magic. She made the First Singing Magic in the world.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
And then the Tort joined them.
20200809_195454-1.jpg
Late for a few reasons :
1) She is The Tort Who Walks By Herself, so doesn't conform to the group arriving at the same time bit.
2) As a tortoise, she was a bit slower than the other animals.
3) I forgot to include her in the first couple of photos I took.

CLIFFHANGER (for Yvonne)

Suddenly Wild Bear attacked Wild Antelope!
?
to be continued.........

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Cliffhanger resolution :
As is traditional, the resolution is a cheat and was only put there in the first place to get people to watch next time. It does nothing to further the plot.
Wild Bear gets Wild Antelope in a bear hug. But in a friendly sort of way. They become the best of friends.

Anyway, on with Kipling..................

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then Wild Horse stamped with his wild foot and said,"O my Friends and O my Enemies, why have Adam and wifey made that great light in that great Cave, and what harm will it do us?"
20200811_232058.jpg
That IS a Wild Horse, I tell you.
Back then they were stripy for camouflage in the Wet Wild Woods.
It's not a zebra at all.
Honest.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
'Then we can never be friends again,' said Wild Dog, and he trotted off to the Cave. But when he had gone a little way the Tort said to herself, 'All places are alike to me. Why should I not go too and see and look and come away at my own liking?' So, she slipped after Wild Dog softly, very softly, and hid herself where she could hear eveything.
20200814_194909.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When Wild Dog reached the mouth of the Cave he lifted up the dried horse-skin with his nose and sniffed the beautiful smell of the roast mutton, and wifey, looking at the blade-bone, heard him, and laughed, and said, 'Here comes the first. Wild Thing out of the Wild Woods, what do you want?'
20200815_214505.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then wifey picked up a fried sausage and threw it to Wild Dog, and said, 'Wild Thing out of the Wild Woods, taste and try.' Wild Dog gnawed the sausage, and it was more delicious than anything he had ever tasted, and he said, 'O Enemy and wifey of my Enemy, give me another.'
20200816_023403-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When Adam waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?'
20200822_205227-1.jpg
And wifey said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting.'

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Next night wifey cut great-green armfuls of fresh grass from the water-meadows and dried it before the fire, so that it smelt like new-mown hay, and she sat at the mouth of the Cave and plaited a halter out of horse-hide, and she looked at the shoulder-of-mutton blade bone - at the big broad blade-bone - and she made a Magic. She made the Second Singing Magic in the world.
20200824_221522-1.jpg