THE" TIGER IVORY" SULCATA !

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
Here are some pictures of a Sulcata ivory with unique markings called the "TIGER IVORY" for its rare tiger markings on the carapace . This ivory came from 2 het for ivory adults. The tiger ivory was produced from a close friend of mine . Below is a picture of smaller tiger ivory. I have never seen anything like this, Hope you all enjoy. ImageUploadedByTortForum1385424116.827105.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1385424141.860020.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1385424224.510442.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1385424116.827105.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385424141.860020.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385424224.510442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It may be my eyes or the pictures but I see nothing special. It looks like a sulcata with pyramiding. The dark parts between the scutes look normal for a tort kept inside under uvb lighting. If they are kept outside they lighten up . Is this a white shelled sulcata with dark marks ? I've seen a ivory sulcata this one looks like is not light in collar to me .

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
mike taylor said:
It may be my eyes or the pictures but I see nothing special. It looks like a sulcata with pyramiding. The dark parts between the scutes look normal for a tort kept inside under uvb lighting. If they are kept outside they lighten up . Is this a white shelled sulcata with dark marks ? I've seen a ivory sulcata this one looks like is not light in collar to me .

Mike did you see the radiating lines in the scutes? It might be hard to see if you are looking at in on a phone. It's definitely got a pattern to it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes I see the lines. But i can't see the lighter shade they call ivory . I can see why they call it tiger but not the ivory .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I agree with mike taylor, nothing special that I can see. Doesn't look ivory too me either. I don't really get the tiger part though either. Sorry:(. Have you told your friend though about hot and humid way:D

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
It's definitely 100% ivory . If you look at the pics below , you can clearly tell the smallest tortoise is an ivory Sulcata with unique markings . And yes this tortoise does have pyramiding , which was not caused by me . Also this tortoise has been kept outdoors for the past 3 years .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I don't care what you all say...that is one very unusual-looking sulcata tortoise. I like it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It is a very nice tortoise indeed. It maybe just my phone . The ivory sulcatas I have seen do not have the dark brown but that maybe the tiger part ??? Don't get me wrong I'm no means trying to belittle your beautiful tortoise but its not one I've seen in person . I am sure that its a lot more ivory in person .

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Gorgeous tort! Despite the pyramiding. I think it adds to the charm of his shell. :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Can you imagine how much more stunning that shell would be if it were smooth! Wow!

It looks great adam. Thanks for sharing!

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
Thanks for all positive comments , my friend now knows how to raise his tortoises smooth, thanks to the forum . I truly wish this tortoise was smooth , but as it stands I personally think it's one of a kind :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very cool ..Adam ...dig those markings.....:D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Quite beautiful. Yowsa. Looks like a sulcata and a radiated were friendly to me. I know, I know. It's a species never the twain shall meet thing, but it sure does look like it. : )

erica anne

5 Year Member
I think that this is much better looking than any ivory I have seen! I love the blended colors. Can you purposely breed these? I am assuming they are quite uncommon!

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
The tiger ivory has never been reproduced before . There is only 2 in existence, both of which are Pictured above . The smallest tiger ivory looks to be female, the sex is deceiving at this age/size. The larger tiger ivory is definitely a male:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: THE" TIGER IVORY" SULCATA !

Torts"R"Us said:
The tiger ivory has never been reproduced before . There is only 2 in existence, both of which are Pictured above . The smallest tiger ivory looks to be female, the sex is deceiving at this age/size. The larger tiger ivory is definitely a male:D

So there is going to be more tiger ivory tortoises in the future??????:D:D

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
It's hard to say. On 2 have been produced, out of 300-400 regular ivory's .

erica anne

5 Year Member
I am guessing that it has the unusual colors because there is an equal expression of genes (instead of expressing only the dominant genes) Similar to what happens in a tortoise shelled cat. I would imagine that it would be difficult to purposely reproduce this which would be a shame since they are very interesting. It will be fun to find out though!

Are these from the same clutch?

Torts"R"Us

10 Year Member!
erica anne said:
I am guessing that it has the unusual colors because there is an equal expression of genes (instead of expressing only the dominant genes) Similar to what happens in a tortoise shelled cat. I would imagine that it would be difficult to purposely reproduce this which would be a shame since they are very interesting. It will be fun to find out though!

Are these from the same clutch?

These are both from different clutches , but both were produced by the same parents. Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)