The Sudan triplets

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
Well I have a few minutes to update on the Sudans. They have moved from sunny California to rainy (well last couple days anyways) Tennessee. They arrived this past Friday and they seen to have settled in nicely. They like their enclosure and love their humid nite box. I have pretty much spent all my extra minutes with them. Outside living is new to me and I figured new place, enviro men for them might b just as overwhelming but they don't really seem phased by it. Marv is huge and the other 2 aren't far behind. I haven't had time to get the camera out but plan on it shortly. So far Tennessee seems to be ok w them. Lol.

chazd1984

Whereabouts in TN? I'm in Hickman county and I've been studying up for months. Im so ready for a sulcata of my own lol. Im still trying to decide on how to do my enclosure

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I love the tortoises and I'm going to enjoy watching them grow on this site. I have a sulcata here in TN, and I think the humid weather is great for her. I wish I could recreate Tom's "burrow" enclosure, but I'm afraid that the water table is too high here.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Whereabouts in TN? I'm in Hickman county and I've been studying up for months. Im so ready for a sulcata of my own lol. Im still trying to decide on how to do my enclosure
I'm in Sullivan county. About 2 hours from Knoxville.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
If you don't slow down a bit your going to do nothing but care for tortoises pretty soon. Holy cow!

I'm curious to see the effect your humid climate will have on their carapace.
Ya I am stopping till January. And yes all I do now is work and care for the torts, and I wouldn't change it. I love it. And as for my climate, it's been real humid lately cause of the daily rain we seem to get. But I still soak them twice a day and their nite box is 80-83, and I put water containers in it to up the humidity in it to 80 or above. I'm to scared to waiver from that.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I can't wait to see pictures of these guys in their new environment! ;)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I finally had 5 minutes to snap some shots of them. Course 3 of those minutes was used finding them. Lol. Here's marv. His new favorite spot is my flower beds. He has figured out where my petunia and Pansy's are. Lol. And then his second favorite spot is the far end of the yard, it's all clover with some grass mixed in. He will sit and eat clover till dark.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
And the 2 smaller guys, renamed Jeff and peewee, they usually hang together for the most part. They too have found all the pretty bright colored blooms they can eat in the flower bed. This particular day they had hit the petunia and pansy blooms and then took their long walk to the other side of their area. It took them a little bit but they finally made it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 79

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
This particular day the sun was brutal. So they only stayed out for about 2 hours and they decided they needed a nap. They seem to prefer their box over a shady spot for their afternoon naps. They seem to b adapting very well. They still have the discharge, snot I guess you would consider it, and Marv is still making that weird noise but they are extremely active and eating like machines so I try to let them do their thing and not worry. I still do tho. Lol. I keep close eyes on them and I figure if anything changed or if the eating or activity level decreases I will have vet look at them. I plan on making them an appointment before cold weather sets in anyways. I'm sure I'm just over worrying, I do that a lot so it's a normal at my house. Lol.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Love the shots Amanda! Now, I miss them! Marv looks like he's on a growth tear! When you have time...I'd love to see a shot of their box.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Nice looking torts! Is that Moss Rose in the 2nd picture? Will your torts eat it?

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

chazd1984

This particular day the sun was brutal. So they only stayed out for about 2 hours and they decided they needed a nap. They seem to prefer their box over a shady spot for their afternoon naps. They seem to b adapting very well. They still have the discharge, snot I guess you would consider it, and Marv is still making that weird noise but they are extremely active and eating like machines so I try to let them do their thing and not worry. I still do tho. Lol. I keep close eyes on them and I figure if anything changed or if the eating or activity level decreases I will have vet look at them. I plan on making them an appointment before cold weather sets in anyways. I'm sure I'm just over worrying, I do that a lot so it's a normal at my house. Lol.

I don't think you can take them to a vet in TN. They are illegal to own along with any other turtle/tortoise.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
You can take them to a vet. It might be hard to find one who is familiar with tortoises though.

chazd1984

I was told that a vet in TN is obligated to report you for owning a turtle/tortoise. Perhaps not, but they are illegal to own here, I have heard you can get away with it if you claim they are being raised as food or if you use them for educational purposes.

Luckily my aquatics have never needed the vet.