The Sudan triplets

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I don't think you can take them to a vet in TN. They are illegal to own along with any other turtle/tortoise.
I presume the discharge you're talking about is clear? As long as it doesn't become thick (nor change color) or interfere with normal activity...I would avoid the Vet at all costs. They wind up doing more harm than good! If the weather gets too cold, try keeping them in a large closed chamber. If you can maintain heat at 85º or more...and keep humidity high...at least 75% there's nothing a Vet could do that would be better than that!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Nice looking torts! Is that Moss Rose in the 2nd picture? Will your torts eat it?

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
It's same thing as moss rose, it's name starts w a P, can't remember how to spell it, but ya they eat it, and it's on the safe list. I keep things that aren't safe or not sure of up away from them. Like my elephant ears, they love to hang out under them so I tie them up to where they can't get em but they still provide them a hang out.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I was told that a vet in TN is obligated to report you for owning a turtle/tortoise. Perhaps not, but they are illegal to own here, I have heard you can get away with it if you claim they are being raised as food or if you use them for educational purposes.

Luckily my aquatics have never needed the vet.
I found an exotic animal vet without any trouble before I ever got a tortoise, figured that was the smart thing to do. And as I have said before I over worry a lot. I take all my animals to the vet even if there isn't a presenting issue. I tell the boys (my Rottweiler, Mr. Biggs and my Boxer, Bo) it's their yearly check up. I think it's recommended but honestly I do it cause it makes me worry less. My regular vet (who I adore and trust) referred me to the torts vet so I am not concerned about being reported. U can keep them for "food" purposes in the state of Tennessee and I doubt a vet is going to demand to see a permit, they will see ya, treat the animal if needed, and collect their money.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I presume the discharge you're talking about is clear? As long as it doesn't become thick (nor change color) or interfere with normal activity...I would avoid the Vet at all costs. They wind up doing more harm than good! If the weather gets too cold, try keeping them in a large closed chamber. If you can maintain heat at 85º or more...and keep humidity high...at least 75% there's nothing a Vet could do that would be better than that!
Yes the discharge is clear. Yesterday i noticed that it's decreased in amount and Marv isn't as noisy as before. I figured maybe it is a mixture of stuff, their cross country trip, the hay dust, and then their environment change. I see big difference since they have been here a while now and adapting to their changes. Our humidity has been in the upper 60's last couple days and their use to a dry heat and now their in a humid heat, heck my nose is stuffy right now too. Lol. Their night box is a copy of Toms, only difference is I put their door on the end of the box, that way they could get away from it and and have different temps inside box. My CHE is at opposite end of door. I will get some snaps of it next day I'm off and post.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ok so Tuesday I notice the Sudans discharge was notably less then it had been. Well I decided to clean their box (since they have decided to poop there instead of the huge yard) so I stir around in the hay and make sure I get it all out. The next day, their extremely snotty again. I think it's the hay doing it. I got a Timothy/oat/ alfalfa mix hay that is blended w molasses to reduce dust. I have watched closely to see if they ate on it since I wasn't sure if molasses was safe for them and they aren't interested in eating it, just digging out a hole to sleep in. So I experimented. I left the hay but left their door open as well and everything seems to be ok. They were up and out early this morning, eating like machines and hardly no snotty noses. I believe they have allergys. Lol. So would it hurt to just take out all the hay and leave the floor bare? They usually dig down and sleep on bare floor with the hay just up around them anyways.?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Now for a funny. So I am a no shoes type person. If I don't have to wear shoes I'm not going to. Well yesterday I was doing some things in the yard and slipped on a pair of my leather flip flops to run up the road and grab some ants from a neighbor. I get back and start planting the plants and of course Mr. I need to know what your doing, Marv come over to me, he sits and eats some clovers and watched me plant a couple plants and then out of no where he just bites my flip flop. I slide it off my foot just to keep all my toes intact and let him do what he's going to do. He really took my shoe. Then peewee got in on it w him. They never bit at it any more but they seriously spent 15 minutes inspecting that thing. Oh and I caught Marv eating poop this morning. I had read that they might do this and I watch and never see the baby's do this but now I have witnessed it. Good god, it's not pretty. So what does this mean, are they missing a vitamin or something in their diet? Do I need to do something to stop it or just let them do my pooper scooping for me? (Ok this last part ain't funny but figured I would throw it in while I was thinking about it.)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D
Oh, god... The first time I saw my russian eating his turds I almost threw up... that was hideous! :confused::eek:
I asked, apparently they just 'do that' sometimes o_O Since, I've seen all my turtles doing it... and my sulcata :eek: *gags

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Now for a funny. So I am a no shoes type person. If I don't have to wear shoes I'm not going to. Well yesterday I was doing some things in the yard and slipped on a pair of my leather flip flops to run up the road and grab some ants from a neighbor. I get back and start planting the plants and of course Mr. I need to know what your doing, Marv come over to me, he sits and eats some clovers and watched me plant a couple plants and then out of no where he just bites my flip flop. I slide it off my foot just to keep all my toes intact and let him do what he's going to do. He really took my shoe. Then peewee got in on it w him. They never bit at it any more but they seriously spent 15 minutes inspecting that thing. Oh and I caught Marv eating poop this morning. I had read that they might do this and I watch and never see the baby's do this but now I have witnessed it. Good god, it's not pretty. So what does this mean, are they missing a vitamin or something in their diet? Do I need to do something to stop it or just let them do my pooper scooping for me? (Ok this last part ain't funny but figured I would throw it in while I was thinking about it.)
I presume it's dog poop? This is not a problem as long as your dogs are on no medication...had their vax more than 60 days ago...and are NOT on any heartworm meds...ie, no chemicals! I've seen them hunt down birds that fall out of the nest, snails that were too slow to escape...it's what they would do in the wild...so no biggie!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I presume it's dog poop? This is not a problem as long as your dogs are on no medication...had their vax more than 60 days ago...and are NOT on any heartworm meds...ie, no chemicals! I've seen them hunt down birds that fall out of the nest, snails that were too slow to escape...it's what they would do in the wild...so no biggie!
No Marv was eating his own poo. If my dogs poo in the yard I clean it up when they do it cause it's freaking huge and someone always seems to end up stepping in it and I usual try and pick up after the Sudans once a week but apparently Marv has decided to do it himself. Lol. I thought I seen one of them with a snail the other day but I was like, no I'm seeing things. I guess maybe I did. Oh and I went with my theory that the hay dust was making them snotty, I took it all out yesterday evening, and this morning when they came out, no discharge at all.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
:D
Oh, god... The first time I saw my russian eating his turds I almost threw up... that was hideous! :confused::eek:
I asked, apparently they just 'do that' sometimes o_O Since, I've seen all my turtles doing it... and my sulcata :eek: *gags
He didn't do any gagging but oh my gosh, he had it stuck all over his face so he was sitting there biting and biting, oh it was gross. I finally said enough and got some paper towels and cleaned him up. I know in the wild he would have worked it out himself, but I couldn't take it. He is all about my feet and he will hang w me while I do stuff in the yard sometimes and occasionally he will sniff at my toes and well, I wasn't taking the chance of this occurring and then he has it stuck all over him and smearing it all over me. Lol. Honestly after I cleaned him up, he thanked me in tortoise language.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I just read this whole thread and rather enjoyed it! Thanks for all of the updates. I'm looking forward to watching these guys grow!

———-------------------------
(This is my signature)
Here's some great plant identification websites I use.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp
Well thanks. And I like your signature, those websites will come in handy while I do my garden for the torts.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
So we are finally having some nice warm weather. The Sudan triplets are loving it just as much as I am. They get to come out, get some real sunshine. I ended up turning a spare bedroom into their winter home. Of course I worried all winter about them. We did a weight and measurement yesterday after our soak and they have all grown and all put on weight so I guess they did ok though the winter. I will have to post their weights and measurements another time. I have the smaller ones at home but I have to buy another scale for Marv, mine only goes to 13lb so it won't read Marvs.
Here are a few shots from their first day out in the sunshine.
Marv
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266325.654963.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266350.704734.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266392.706982.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266444.086832.jpg

Jeff
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266471.236800.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266489.436638.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266658.601074.jpg

Peewee
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266551.085078.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266583.235557.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266642.083876.jpg

Them all together
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428266735.151767.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Nice! I knew Marv would be a giant! Three years old next month! ;) Nice work Amanda! Jeff and PeeWee has immense domes going there! @Tom ...check em out!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Nice! I knew Marv would be a giant! Three years old next month! ;) Nice work Amanda! Jeff and PeeWee has immense domes going there! @Tom ...check em out!
Thanks DeanS. I was so worried about this winter since it was my first one with them. They really didn't mind coming inside for the season. Of course they are so loving these nice days they get to come outside, hopefully here in the next month they can be back out full time. They have all really got use to me now since I have had to serve them their food for the last couple months. I have noticed that even though Marv is the largest, it's Peewee that runs things. He got caught ramming Marv last week. I was shocked about his bad behavior since him and Marv have hung together most the time. I will post their weights and measurements tomorrow. I have to run to Walmart and get a new scale for Marv. I also have better pics to post on my camera so I will eventually get those posted as well.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Thanks DeanS. I have noticed that even though Marv is the largest, it's Peewee that runs things. He got caught ramming Marv last week. I was shocked about his bad behavior since him and Marv have hung together most the time. I will post their weights and measurements tomorrow. I have to run to Walmart and get a new scale for Marv. I also have better pics to post on my camera so I will eventually get those posted as well.

Ha! I was just looking at peewee's pictures again...and he does have that bossy look! Looking forward to the next batch of photos...;)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I went out this morning and took some updated pics of all the Sudans because I have a couple emails requesting pics but for some reason (probably me) I couldn't add pics to their ad in the "for sale" section and I'm still trying to figure out how to attach them to an email. I went ahead while I was at it and got new measurements and weights too since its been about 3 wks since I did that, glad I did cause these guys are apparently in another growing spurt. Anyways, I tried to get pics of each of them tops, bottoms, sides, and a frontal, little harder then I thought it would be. They are their own tortoises and sure didn't want to do a photo shoot this morning. I should have soaked them first but didn't think about it till I reviewed the photos and thought, "ghee, you guys sure got dirty since I soaked ya yesterday".

Peewee
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189128.369147.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189143.018905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189171.686833.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189189.420541.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189206.285651.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189219.218724.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189245.853280.jpg

Jeff
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189273.318377.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189288.785336.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189309.319945.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189334.485399.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189350.919566.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189365.402214.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189394.302713.jpg

Marv
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189421.867880.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189436.385283.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189453.285186.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189467.051604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189486.204047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189509.468820.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431189530.251347.jpg

The white stuff on their shells is from the city water residue, I use to soak in collected rain water but haven't had enough rain yet to start that this year so it's city water for now. They also have straw stuck to them from rambling around it their house. Again, I should have soaked em clean first. Lol.
Some of the frontal a aren't that great, I haven't figured out how to get them to sit still to get good frontal shots yet and well Marv, he always has something in his mouth so his head is usually always pointed toward.
They have all gained a couple pounds since I last weighted them. They are serious eating machines.

I am still working on figuring out how to add pics to emails so if anyone has emailed me asking for specific pics, I am still trying to get those to you but I have posted all updated pics here so it will be one or two of these same pics.