The shoulders of Interstate-75 near Snake Road are lined with dead turtles. (Florida)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I’m not sure of the age of this article, but I’m thinking no turtles are doing any road crossing this time of year. It is a very valid point made at the end concerning slowing down and paying attention while driving.

The shoulders of Interstate-75 near Snake Road are lined with dead turtles. (Florida)
You might have noticed an unfortunate scene driving through Interstate-75, otherwise known as Alligator Alley:Turtles dead on the side of the road.

“The turtles are moving as the water levels go down,” explained Dr. Bill Hammond at the Calusa Nature Center, “They’re drawn to the canals and the system there.”

“This is the time of year a lot of animals are on the move,” he explained, “And the highway is, of course, a barrier to their success.”

Dr. Hammond said the turtles are often looking for nesting.

“What we ask most highway people to do is at least put a low fence in,” said Dr. Hammond.
A university in Canada studied this issue. It found that effective fences helped guide turtles toward safe passages and away from highways.

The executive director at the Calusa Nature Center, Larry Aguilar, recommends doing one thing to avoid hurting any turtles.

“You just gotta slow down a bit,” he advised.

Dr. Hammond added that if you find a turtle struggling, you can bring it to a rehab center. He said CROW Clinic had helped rescue turtles like this before. However, he does not recommend you stop when driving on a fast moving highway like Alligator Alley.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't remember where or what kind of animal, but fences were put up to guide the animals safely across a road. It worked very well. Don't understand why more places don't realize how simple a fix it is and how important it is too do.
Very sad

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I can't remember where or what kind of animal, but fences were put up to guide the animals safely across a road. It worked very well. Don't understand why more places don't realize how simple a fix it is and how important it is too do.
Very sad

A lot of this I think just comes down to cost. Just a lot of extra funds needed on already expensive road projects.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of this I think just comes down to cost. Just a lot of extra funds needed on already expensive road projects.
I'm sure that is the reason. However, if they think of the cost in the long run if these turtles keep getting killed in big numbers, it will be devastating on the environment. Every species is needed. Besides the danger to the humans, because of the humans that would rather miss or help the turtles at all cost, causing road dangers.