the proper set up for boxies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I need help please. Can someone tell me what is the best thing for my 3 toed's? I have a basking light and a 10.0 screw in UVB hanging over my enclosures. I have been reading about several different opinions as to what is best and what is bad. Apparently 10.0 is bad for boxies because its to bright. I bought a 5.0 and its really really dim. I have a basking light also. It appears that some say that is to bright for them and it should be switched for a heat emitter. Now, if I only have a 5.0 bulb hanging above the enclosure it will be practically nocturnal. I was also told that you really only need the UVB on for about 4 hours a day because they are hiding most of the time anyways. Help please! I am always changing what is hanging over them and just want to do it right.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I use 10.0 uvb bulbs and a heat lamp, they are all on timers and go off after 12 hours. My two that are inside are in a large enclosure so if they are tired of the bulb they go to the other end. I have never had an issue with it and usually they sit right under the bulbs. Just make sure you place the bulbs right next to each other that way they can get both at the same time. I don't know what your setup is but if you want you can cover half of the enclosure with a towel or lid and that way 1/2 of the enclosure is dark and that also helps keep the humidity in the enclosure.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
I use 10.0 uvb bulbs and a heat lamp, they are all on timers and go off after 12 hours. My two that are inside are in a large enclosure so if they are tired of the bulb they go to the other end. I have never had an issue with it and usually they sit right under the bulbs. Just make sure you place the bulbs right next to each other that way they can get both at the same time. I don't know what your setup is but if you want you can cover half of the enclosure with a towel or lid and that way 1/2 of the enclosure is dark and that also helps keep the humidity in the enclosure.

I have taken out the basking light and replaced it with the heat emitter and I have the 10.0 UVB. I must admit it does look alot closer to the natural forest setting. They don't seem to be hiding thier heads as much either. I actually have two enclosures, one is a 2x3 home made wood box table and the other is a 40g critter tank. The glass tank sure holds in the moisture better. I don't have to spray that one near as much. They are able to get away from the heat and the light if they want to. I have the temps at around 80 close to the emitter. Is that right?

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I recently replaced my boxies UVB 10.0 w/ the 5.0 per suggestion I received and it still seems somewhat bright to me. I mean it's not like a desert setup or anything but it definitely doesn't appear "dim" to me. In any case, he's still hiding under his log like he hates it. I guess I'll just stick it out and see if he comes around. I put the UVB towards the end with his heat rock and food dish so he'd be more enticed to come over that way. We'll see how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.