The price you pay for collecting eggs.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I love all my snakes from the little baby corns to my 23ft anaconda, even when things like this happen...
While collecting eggs from my big burmese girl, she decided to flop onto the floor, fine by me. Made my job of retrieving eggs tremendously easier. In the process of getting her back into her enclosure she decided that my butt would be a lovely place to bite down onto and hold. Thankfully my hubby was right there to keep her from wrapping around me, but no matter what we tried she wouldn't let go. We tried listerine, water, and using a credit card to try to pull her teeth off my bum. None of that worked. As a last resort I told my hubby to grab the hinges of her jaw and let me ease her head off me. Thankfully this worked, but there's still a couple teeth in my butt. Oh well, at least I got a reward from that battle. A nice big clutch of eggs.

KimC90

5 Year Member
Wow! Would love to see pictures of your snakes!
Glad you're okay!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What? No pictures?

And THAT is why you always have two people present when handling or even opening the cage on any big snake. Good thing you observed proper protocols. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Rubbing alcohol works on a rag or something will make them let go . Years ago the same thing happened to me but the snake rapped . It grabbed my arm and rapped 15 foot Burmese. My wife poured the alcohol on the head and it let go . Thats why I can't keep big snakes anymore . That was some scary stuff . They are some powerful dudes . Don't clean the floor of the cage on your hands and knees . Thats what I was doing I guess I looked like a good snack . Ha ha . Gotta be carefull . But I fill for you them bites hurt like hell . Plus they remind you about it later when the teeth that are broken off in you start working out. Your one tough chick to take a bite and still love them . My wife will not mess with them at all anymore just by seeing me get bit. Ifvyou mess with them you will get bit a time or to . But most of thd time they strike and let go . Like oops sorry thought you was taking my lunch away . Would love to see some pictures of your set up . I was keeping my in a room that was turned into an enclosure with a window to see in .

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Will upload pics once I get home! And there where only 2-3 teeth, no biggy just uncomfortable.

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
LOL. I'm sure you were in pain but I got a funny picture in my head just now. Glad you're OK :)

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I know she was trying to protect her eggs as any mother would. I have complete respect and understanding of these animals and I always remind myself. I'm in their space and I have to respect that.
No matter what I never blame my animals for my mistakes. Feeding mishap, or an agressive snake it's never the animals fault.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its just like anything else you have to be carefull and respect them . They are killers not to be mean but to eat . If you have the backup and safety people that are all on the same page they are awesome animals . Its the small time snake keepers that think its cool to have a big snake that think my baby will not ever bite me that get into trouble . I never went into my enclosure without someone there . Outside the enclosure was a box with a knife and alcohol . The alcohol does the trick but if it didn't the backup was to kill the snake witch is always the last opinion . Most of the times I would have my brother help me . But that time I just had my wife bur she knows the game . Your life is in your backups hands so there needs to be someone trustworthy who better than your wife or husband . I love snakes of all kinds but the big ones are not for just anyone . There needs to be some education before you start to keep these guys . People need to know they are not pets they don't love you . They can kill you if you don't respect them for what they are .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
There is a lady in my neighborhood that is like petting a very large and hungry snake when you interact with her [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
I totally thought of her while reading this story.
Glad you are alright. I've never owned snakes, I think they are fascinating and many of them are beautiful but I think I'll stick with tortoises lol.
I've had my butt bit by plenty of animals, thankfully a large snake isn't one of them!

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Most female snakes are very very protective of their eggs. Even if they are nice and calm, their demeanor changes when they have their eggs. I have been bitten as well a few times by big snakes. Glad you are alright. The remaining teeth which your snake gave you is definitely uncomfortable.
Glad you don't have to worry about things like that happening with your sulcatas:)

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Re: RE: The price you pay for collecting eggs.

Lancecham said:
Most female snakes are very very protective of their eggs. Even if they are nice and calm, their demeanor changes when they have their eggs. I have been bitten as well a few times by big snakes. Glad you are alright. The remaining teeth which your snake gave you is definitely uncomfortable.
Glad you don't have to worry about things like that happening with your sulcatas:)

I'm so glad the sulcatas wouldn't. Especially when they're bigger!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, sorry, but I had to laugh too when I read that your snake bit your butt:D. I thought the story was going to end with your hubby driving you to the hospital to have the snake removed from your arse :D :D. Glad you were able to remove her yourself, at home
It's funny, but not really funny. So glad though that your okay.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I am so tempted to share this post with my sister just to have her faint. Lol. That's just crazy and I do apologies but I was laughing picturing the frantic conversation that must have been going on while that huge snake hung there off your butt. Bahahahaaa. Sorry it's so not funny but at the same time ssoooo funny.
I share the sentiment that it's good you are alright and glad to read your take on respecting and never blaming the animal.
Looking forward to seeing your setup and some photos of the over protective momma

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow! Just ... wow!

What are the statistics for ppl being seriously injured, or even killed by large pet snakes?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
From what I've seen it's very low that anyone ever get a seriously injured by large snakes. Bitten is another story I deal with getting bitten all the time by little ones and big ones. Doesn't hurt just some of my animals aren't very open to being handled. As always with good time the majority warm up and calm down others just don't like being handled.

And everyone stop apologizing! I posted this to give everyone a good laugh. My husband and I even joked about it once she was off my bum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
AnnV said:
What are the statistics for ppl being seriously injured, or even killed by large pet snakes?

Almost never happens. People are bit from time to time when they make handling errors, but the stories usually end much like this one. The only time someone has been killed, it has involved large amounts of alcohol and/or drugs. It is a very rare thing, and in every case I can think of there has been some substantial doubt and unanswered questions.

Their teeth are tiny and really not capable of inflicting "serious" injury, and the only way a person could die is if they pass out in a drunken stupor and the loose snake sits on their chest. A person is more likely to win the Powerball several times than have this happen.