The plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
OK so I am planning my spring adventures already for tortoise and turtle pens. I have decided to do rock gardens for them. I talked Dan out of the space along the edge of the woods that we cleared last fall and he wants it to look nice. Its right behind the house and I could sit on the deck and watch the torts. He already started piling rocks to form a wall along the tree line since we had so many rocks. Im starting to compile a list of edible plants and flowers that would look good in a rock garden and be great for the torts to nibble on. Im going to try and get some rough drafts drawn up in the next few days so I can try and figure out how I want to set it all up. The Leopards, Hermanns and Redfoots will all have areas of their own of course. I still need to decide if the Boxies will get a pen or if I will move the 6ft stock tanks outside for them. Everyone will be brought in and sleep in a rubbermaid tub each night because these pens will not be predator proof since they will just look like normal rock gardens.

Something along these lines is what Im going for, with a few design changes for the Redfoots.

605a9de5.jpg

03d81f4c.jpg

6ede843a.jpg

With maybe a small stream that runs through all of the pens and pools in each one. Definitely not as large as this one, but this is the general idea.
91d0f3ac.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That sounds like a wonderful place for your torts Anja. I really like the looks of that rock garden. What about predators during the daytime?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i'd love to have a nice garden like that with CA native plants that my DTs could chew on.
if you can, post your planned sketches and then the final result! it'd be awesome to see the project progress!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That would be beautiful. I wish I could do that but I would be too worried during the day.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I dont think Im going to worry too much during the day. My big Mastiff Monty stays out most of the day when its warm outside so they should be fine with him lurking around.

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Columbus Ohio
Wow if you could make it look half as good as those pics that would be amazing!

If you need help with the stream let me know thats what I do.
I use that company for ponds myself.
Fish tank and pond guy at your service.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
That'll be AWESOME! Can't wait for Spring, and can't wait to see the finished pics! Then you can come do my yard! :p

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
that looks like a great idea, Anja.
I think I saw something like that around here. Isn't it Chris that has some outdoor enclosures that look something like that?
Maybe he can help you with some tips.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Sounds good but I'd forget a common water source such as a stream.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Itort said:
Sounds good but I'd forget a common water source such as a stream.

Yea I talked myself out of that last night, and definitely would be too hard to maintain.

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
JustAnja said:
OK so I am planning my spring adventures already for tortoise and turtle pens. I have decided to do rock gardens for them. I talked Dan out of the space along the edge of the woods that we cleared last fall and he wants it to look nice. Its right behind the house and I could sit on the deck and watch the torts. He already started piling rocks to form a wall along the tree line since we had so many rocks. Im starting to compile a list of edible plants and flowers that would look good in a rock garden and be great for the torts to nibble on.

Anja,

WOW how beautiful! What a joy it will be to sit outside and just watch your torts in such a natural setting. Here's an idea for you that will give you a few natural looking tort hides that will blend into your rock garden. I bought two and cut out tort size holes with a sabre saw. The Sulcata's use them all summer.

m7t005.jpg

5kj6s2.jpg

Here's the link where I ordered them from.
http://crswebhost.com/url/?DOstYdNS
Excellent product and delivery. I purchased the Hollow boulder #101 and #110 for the Sulcata's in Riverbed.

Misty
5 Sulcata's
3 Leopard's
3 Indian Star's

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
What a great idea, thanks Misty for the site. I have found hollow boulders at Costco they come in a set of 2 in two different styles. But I wanted some that were a little smaller this site will help

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Robyn, Do you know how much the ones at Costco were? I think this is a fab idea! I want to ask for them for Mother's Day!

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Crazy1 said:
What a great idea, thanks Misty for the site. I have found hollow boulders at Costco they come in a set of 2 in two different styles. But I wanted some that were a little smaller this site will help

Also check out Home Depot in the plumbing and graden section. Last year I saw several smaller sizes being sold in both departments. They were only sold in gray.

Misty

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
The rocks at Costco are;
Artificial Landscape Rock 2-pack
Made of Cast Stone, Sandstone Color $329.99
Item # 188202
Shipping & Handling included

Sandstone Color
Handcrafted from cast stone
(not fiberglass or polyurethane)
50-60 lb. boulders are exact replicas of
1,000-lb. rocks
So realistic they're conversation pieces
Dimensions: 21" W x 26” L x 12" H
Dimensions: 20" W x 30” L x 12" H
Lifetime warranty against defective workmanship
Since they are handcrafted, and the thickness and shape of each boulder varies, exact dimensions of the interior hollow space can't be guaranteed for covering pumps, utility/TV cable boxes, etc. So be careful if you want to use these as hides.

The rocks at
Rockandwater.com are;
These hollow rocks are made of extremely durable plastic and are colored to be very real looking
IMPORTANT: Sizes shown are the outside greatest dimensions of the rock. Rocks are approx. 1/4" thick and irregularly shaped. You should look at the INTERIOR DIMENSIONS to get a more accurate idea of their size. We do not guarantee the rocks will cover the object you want to cover

I know they also have some of the plastic ones at Home Depot or Lowels Hardware stores if you have them in your area.

For comparison
Costco $ 329.99
Dimensions: 21" W x 26” L x 12" H
Dimensions: 20" W x 30” L x 12"H
No known inside dimensions

Rockandwater.com $179.02
Dimensions 23”W x 30” L x 18” H $49.70 + $16.00 shipping #109
Dimensions 21”W x 27” L x 25” H $87.32 + $26.00 shipping #102
known inside dimensions

I think if I were going to use these as hides I would probably go with the plastic if you are not in a high wind area, as they are cheaper, and would be easier to cut plus the site has many different sizes.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks for the info Robyn! My dad works at Home Depot, I am calling him now. Maybe I can be really sweet and whine a little. How can he resist his baby girl! LOL

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Crazy1 said:
Rockandwater.com $179.02
Dimensions 23”W x 30” L x 18” H $49.70 + $16.00 shipping #109
Dimensions 21”W x 27” L x 25” H $87.32 + $26.00 shipping #102
known inside dimensions

I think if I were going to use these as hides I would probably go with the plastic if you are not in a high wind area, as they are cheaper, and would be easier to cut plus the site has many different sizes.

The rockandwater.com boulders have several anchor holes around the bottom of the rocks and come with plastic spikes to hold them into the ground. It blows like crazy here in NM and mine stay in place where I have them placed. I use the spikes they came with as I can easily pull them up when I need to move the rock to pick up poop or to grab a tort out from underneath.

I can't remember if the Home Depot ones had anchor holes or not.

Misty

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well I called my dad at Home Depot and he checked with the garden guy. He told my dad that they will be coming in soon and that they start at $6 and go up from there. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are inexpensive. If they don't have anchor holes, I will hopefully be able to drill some myself. I am going to check their website too.

Status
Not open for further replies.