The perks of living in the Southeast

ArmadilloPup

Location (City and/or State)
NE Oklahoma
I'll be joining camp Redfoot soon! I have a 40B to start a hatchling, and we custom cut some polycarbonate panels to cover the mesh around the light bar/CHE.

Four days ago, I added moist soil and orchid bark to the setup. No heat or lights on right now, I'm still waiting on plants to come in the mail.

The humidity in there is still 92%!

#swamplife

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not quite understanding this post. You'll soon be getting a redfooted tortoise? That's great news. They're wonderful little animals. But what is a 40B? And you're covering the mesh around the light bar/CHE with polycarbonate? I don't get that??? Why would you want to block out the UVB or the heat with polycarbonate?

As I was typing this response, it came to me. . . you're talking about setting up an enclosure for your new RF tortoise! Well, duh! I'd love to see pictures once it's all set up. That will help me understand what the heck you're trying to tell us.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
A breeder tank, and the sheeting is around the lights, not covering it. I may be a little too excitable to explain things properly :p I’ve seen so many posts about people having issues with humidity, I’m just tickled that I won’t need to struggle with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah. . . the excitement factor! I totally get that.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well congratulations and welcome! Can’t wait to see some pics

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
When you turn your heat source and lights on your humidity will probably drop some. Sounds like your on your way though. Post pictures when your new buddy arrives!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
You were right, the humidity did drop with the heat. I picked up a Reptifogger and it’s been fluctuating, but stays in the 90s for most of the day. I have a timer so that the light and fogger come on in the morning... I don’t know why, but it’s so amazing to me!

I’ve picked out my little tort and it should be on the way soon.

A pic of my setup for the time being. I’ve got worms and isopods in there, but I haven’t seen them for days :D

F41F9D36-657A-4C6D-881F-260E72644C94.jpeg