THE NUT HOUSE

Danimal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MS
Look at my “impulse” buy today.. I went to the feed store for feed of course and left with these ladies:) I’ve been working on my chicken pen relentlessly in my spare time and I’m almost done with it. Tomorrow I’ve got to run a border on the bottom amd move the brooder house in and then my First Ladies can move in:)... My son picked out the Wyandotte and the Rhode island red. The Wyandotte, he named Black Shadow and he’s still waffling on the Red lady.. The two buff Orpingtons were my pick and their names are Diaz and Witherspoon:)

I feel your pain, I just finished a new temporary pen about a month ago. I laughed when I read this because last year my wife did the exact same thing only we had a couple of chickens already, so I didn't have to build a pen then, and then we moved. Same property at least. So this is Dottie and her 4 girlfriends. In this order: Leghorn, 2 ameraucanas and a silver laced. I also put a pic of Dotties sister Boots from last year cause she was so stinking cute when she was little, she just turned 1.

dottie.jpg

113242767_10223208077498427_5677294828086952171_n.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I feel your pain, I just finished a new temporary pen about a month ago. I laughed when I read this because last year my wife did the exact same thing only we had a couple of chickens already, so I didn't have to build a pen then, and then we moved. Same property at least. So this is Dottie and her 4 girlfriends. In this order: Leghorn, 2 ameraucanas and a silver laced. I also put a pic of Dotties sister Boots from last year cause she was so stinking cute when she was little, she just turned 1.

View attachment 320407

View attachment 320408
Love it!!!! you would thing the Silver laced would be Dottie, not the goat:)
The goats are adorable. I have considered getting a couple Nubians but I think my husband would seriously consider divorcing me ?..

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
Well my wife(MJ) may have named them but I typically only name the animals that will come when I call them. Having said that, I will admit that I lobbied for the Silver to be named Bama, reminds me of houndstooth. It's no matter, they will mob you when you go to the pen because they think you have food :) Basically the chickens move in a group so we started calling them Bok Boks and they all come running in or out of the pen.

All goat babies will cry when you take them from mama. It can be annoying and it can go on for a couple of weeks. Females will cry when they are in heat. Luckily we haven't had a bad experience yet. Our goats volume really depend on the breed in my experience. Dottie and Thelbert (didn't name him, he came that way) are both Dwarf Nigerian X Pygmy. They are pretty small and very quiet. They will call back if you call them and Dottie makes very lady like low volume bleats when she is in heat. Boots is a mutt, she has long legs like a bigger breed but she is still pretty small, not much bigger than Dottie and only a notch or two louder. Punkin is our oldest and we've had her the longest. She is Nubian x Pygmy. The Nubian in her makes her bigger and apparently that means bigger louder lungs. She is the mama bear now and when she bleats, she's heard. She just doesn't do it all the time so its tolerable. Their pen is about 100 feet from the house, when you're inside you only hear the loudest bleats and only faintly most of the time. It's really not so bad. Like your husband I was against it in the beginning.

There are some things I've learned that aren't so pleasant. If you want milk, like other farm animals, you have to breed them. That means you have to have a Billy and they can be super musky. It's not a great smell but like other males they are territorial and mark it stinky. Then towards the end of summer through fall they rut and it just gets ridiculous. They pee everywhere. They pee on their legs, head-paying special attention to the beard, in their mouth... anywhere they can reach. They pee on everything in their pen including where they eat and drink. One day I will jump this hurdle until then I have Thelbert. He doesn't do any of that and we don't know why for sure. MJ speculates that he was a runt and abandoned by his mother. Bottle fed and raised by people. Lastly banded as soon as he was weened so no babies. He is different because of environment and circumstances. He is more of a goat now than he was when we brought him home but there is still a lot of non goat like behaviors in there. He treats MJ like his mom, its a lot like a dog that just wants to be near you all the time, including following you around. We couldn't rename him, he already answered to Thelbert at 6 weeks.

You've seen the other 2 so here is Punkin and Thelbert. Also there is something else happening on the farm right now so the 3rd pic is from last year later in the spring during my elder grandsons spring baby inspection. I'll be posting this springs babies as soon as I remember to take some pics, plus we aren't even half way through so 15 or so more babies to come.

110167944_10223208079538478_8267307573166068885_n.jpg111373780_10223208077978439_5697206547509831133_n.jpgpatandcalves.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Love it!!!! you would thing the Silver laced would be Dottie, not the goat:)
The goats are adorable. I have considered getting a couple Nubians but I think my husband would seriously consider divorcing me ?..
If you get goats don't do the fainting ones. My other son is on a constant guilt trip trying not to make them faint ?.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Well my wife(MJ) may have named them but I typically only name the animals that will come when I call them. Having said that, I will admit that I lobbied for the Silver to be named Bama, reminds me of houndstooth. It's no matter, they will mob you when you go to the pen because they think you have food :) Basically the chickens move in a group so we started calling them Bok Boks and they all come running in or out of the pen.

All goat babies will cry when you take them from mama. It can be annoying and it can go on for a couple of weeks. Females will cry when they are in heat. Luckily we haven't had a bad experience yet. Our goats volume really depend on the breed in my experience. Dottie and Thelbert (didn't name him, he came that way) are both Dwarf Nigerian X Pygmy. They are pretty small and very quiet. They will call back if you call them and Dottie makes very lady like low volume bleats when she is in heat. Boots is a mutt, she has long legs like a bigger breed but she is still pretty small, not much bigger than Dottie and only a notch or two louder. Punkin is our oldest and we've had her the longest. She is Nubian x Pygmy. The Nubian in her makes her bigger and apparently that means bigger louder lungs. She is the mama bear now and when she bleats, she's heard. She just doesn't do it all the time so its tolerable. Their pen is about 100 feet from the house, when you're inside you only hear the loudest bleats and only faintly most of the time. It's really not so bad. Like your husband I was against it in the beginning.

There are some things I've learned that aren't so pleasant. If you want milk, like other farm animals, you have to breed them. That means you have to have a Billy and they can be super musky. It's not a great smell but like other males they are territorial and mark it stinky. Then towards the end of summer through fall they rut and it just gets ridiculous. They pee everywhere. They pee on their legs, head-paying special attention to the beard, in their mouth... anywhere they can reach. They pee on everything in their pen including where they eat and drink. One day I will jump this hurdle until then I have Thelbert. He doesn't do any of that and we don't know why for sure. MJ speculates that he was a runt and abandoned by his mother. Bottle fed and raised by people. Lastly banded as soon as he was weened so no babies. He is different because of environment and circumstances. He is more of a goat now than he was when we brought him home but there is still a lot of non goat like behaviors in there. He treats MJ like his mom, its a lot like a dog that just wants to be near you all the time, including following you around. We couldn't rename him, he already answered to Thelbert at 6 weeks.

You've seen the other 2 so here is Punkin and Thelbert. Also there is something else happening on the farm right now so the 3rd pic is from last year later in the spring during my elder grandsons spring baby inspection. I'll be posting this springs babies as soon as I remember to take some pics, plus we aren't even half way through so 15 or so more babies to come.

View attachment 320478View attachment 320479View attachment 320480
Ohmigosh my son calls chickens "bok boks" too! Chicks are called "Bocklets" I love your post!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

I don’t even know where to begin so I’ll just say, “I LOVE IT AAAALLLLLLLL!!”
Thelbert is AWSOME!!!!!!
But my absolute favorite thing is that you
Call the chickens BOK BOK!!!
????????????????????????????

It’s funny to me because that’s what I end up calling all of my pets!

Mr. bunn
Mrs. meow meow...
Mr. roooff!!
Etc.....
Again...LOVE IT AAAALLLLL!!!!! ???
Keep the pictures coming!
AND THAT GOES FOR ALL OF YOU!!!
I live vicariously through you guys!!!!!!
(Don’t forget I live in NJ and nothing ever happens here. Except crime, nosy neighbors, too small yards with no fences,
drinking and the like..)
You guys give me ADVENTURE!! ???

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

Oh I love your goats!! I would like a little girl goat. I can confirm your explanation of the male goats...Here’s my big nasty man goat.... Barney. Yes pee’s everything, poops everything, rams everything, eats everything, and never shuts up. He’s going on 13 yrs old. Oh and he also rubs his horns on anything to make noise at least every 2 hrs.

9BC81CE1-BB7F-4ACF-97EB-728F9AF533EA.jpeg25D1D89E-CDC7-401C-9FA8-3C7B57298C81.jpeg
We attempted to make him a tad more safe with pool noodles. This lasted maybe 10 mins
And here he is before and after when he opened the shed and ate a whole bucket of soaked beet pulp
666D1444-1D73-4249-9B43-AF0BB02B0CCD.jpeg94792D20-6288-4219-84EF-3B4CCE8741D4.jpeg6411482B-4E37-41AC-8E1E-165BB0AC8BC4.jpeg

Attachments

• 8287109B-8618-4A22-9A8A-1393E7DC8EC8.jpeg
    8287109B-8618-4A22-9A8A-1393E7DC8EC8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Oh I love your goats!! I would like a little girl goat. I can confirm your explanation of the male goats...Here’s my big nasty man goat.... Barney. Yes pee’s everything, poops everything, rams everything, eats everything, and never shuts up. He’s going on 13 yrs old. Oh and he also rubs his horns on anything to make noise at least every 2 hrs.

View attachment 320484View attachment 320485
We attempted to make him a tad more safe with pool noodles. This lasted maybe 10 mins
And here he is before and after when he opened the shed and ate a whole bucket of soaked beet pulp
View attachment 320486View attachment 320487View attachment 320488

HEY!!!!! ?
I LOVE BARNEY!!!...
AND SO DOES YOUR HORSE!!!
LEAVE POOR BARNEY ALONE.
He is cooooollllll!!!!!!
Go Barney!! ??
He looks AWSOME without the pool floaties. ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cathie, oh my gosh, I can watch fainting goat videos for an embarrassing length of time. I haven't ruled them out but 4 is good for now :)

Goats! They are so adorable but 2 handfuls. I used to help take care of a miniature one named Gertie but her nickname was dirty Gertie. If that tells you anything ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dirty Gertie! Thats the best! Thats goin on the list of names for future animals I get.
Oh my God that little girl could leap tall buildings with a single bound. Her owner was screaming things you can't say on here when she took off with a new snack ? and here I thought rabbits are nuts.