The meaning of life?

Rereading this, it might be helpful to parse out the differences between words like meaning, value, and purpose that are mistakenly used interchangeably. Purpose smacks of a religious perspective, value is an external locus; now meaning, that's up to you. Just ask Sarte.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
If you mean Sartre then I would if I could, but he's a bit dead.
I'd especially ask him why he was happy to place his own fears and worries of futility onto his supposedly existentialist doctrines.

You know, you seem a little biased against dead guys .
Have you read the Myth of Sisyphous? One of my favs and seems right up your alley, given your stated premise. Also being from Algeria, he's something of a neighbor of yours, albeit a dead one.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You know, you seem a little biased against dead guys .
Have you read the Myth of Sisyphous? One of my favs and seems right up your alley, given your stated premise. Also being from Algeria, he's something of a neighbor of yours, albeit a dead one.
Nothing against dead guys, just difficult to debate with them or bash them over the head and say,"Oh, you're so wrong!", or "You're so right", for that matter.
Socrates is a great favourite of mine, (or at least Plato's early version of him) and he's pretty dead.
Yes, I've read "The Myth of Sisiyphus" and enjoyed it.
But he went to live in France, probably wisely at the time.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Nothing against dead guys, just difficult to debate with them or bash them over the head and say,"Oh, you're so wrong!", or "You're so right", for that matter.
Socrates is a great favourite of mine, (or at least Plato's early version of him) and he's pretty dead.
Yes, I've read "The Myth of Sisiyphus" and enjoyed it.
But he went to live in France, probably wisely at the time.
Adam you are needed in the CDR
for serious, secret planning :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ask a serious question.......

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I had it all figured out in 1969, I was driving down Elmer School Road on my way home from working on a new monkey building, I got deep into thought, it started with, why am I driving down this road and just took off from there, After I had figured that part out I discovered a bunch of interesting reasons for just about everything, Then reality hit (but just for a second) and my only thought then was, I hope I don't crash to hard when this stuff wears off, and when did I turn onto road 109. From that point on no more deep thoughts, I just enjoyed the trip the rest of the way home.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So my conclusioms on time. I have pondered this for decades now. Hard to explain but I will try. Time I think does not exist it only exists because we mark its passage. Think about it billions of years pasded before you were born, and billions will pass after you die. Thousands of generatipns lived and dieg before you, and will do so after you. Each person born,lived,and died. Our little slice of time is a blink in the timeline of the universe (do not get me started on that) More observations to come.