The meaning of life?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So is there one? We are born. We live, then we die. Does anything matter? If so why? I have been.thinking about time recently, and came to some interesting conclusions

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I do have something meaningful in my life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What goes around, comes around. Karma. I think we're each put here to accomplish something. It is sometimes hard to figure it out, but eventually you will know what you've done or are supposed to do. Be a good person and the rest comes naturally.

You're very introspective today, David. Are you ok?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think the meaning of life is different for everyone. To me life is just a stepping stone to a greater existence. As I get older I realize more and more the importance of doing our best to stop and help others along the way. No one should ever say "I'm so bored ...I have nothing to do." There is always someone who needs help someplace. May sound corny, but it's true...to me anyway.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Not true. The value of your life is influenced by everything you do, not by what your children do. YOU have value of your own.
Disagree.
As a nihilist my life has no actual value other than what it may mean to me or to others and this has, in itself, ephemeral value at best.
How many people will be remembered in 200 years?
But if your genetics are passed on, you've succeeded.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Disagree.
As a nihilist my life has no actual value other than what it may mean to me or to others and this has, in itself, ephemeral value at best.
How many people will be remembered in 200 years?
But if your genetics are passed on, you've succeeded.

Having had value to one's life doesn't mean someone will remember you in 200 years. It means you've done the very best you can and you've helped others along the way. Maybe the person you reached down to help will do something quite memorable in his own life because you helped him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Having had value to one's life doesn't mean someone will remember you in 200 years. It means you've done the very best you can and you've helped others along the way. Maybe the person you reached down to help will do something quite memorable in his own life because you helped him.
You are placing human values on this.
For me genetics is all and if you don't pass on your code, you have failed as an organism, period.
I've helped people and done many good things, hopefully helped others to achieve in the future and influenced events in a positive way.
But it's cosmetic. Altruism that aids others to further their genetic line without aiding yours is ultimately valueless.
It doesn't mean I don't enjoy life, I do, very much, but it's not of import.
People generally have to believe their lives are worth something other than just reproducing, that's normal.
I don't.

You are placing human values on this.
For me genetics is all and if you don't pass on your code, you have failed as an organism, period.
I've helped people and done many good things, hopefully helped others to achieve in the future and influenced events in a positive way.
But it's cosmetic. Altruism that aids others to further their genetic line without aiding yours is ultimately valueless.
It doesn't mean I don't enjoy life, I do, very much, but it's not of import.
People generally have to believe their lives are worth something other than just reproducing, that's normal.
I don't.

Have you considered that altruism is commonly expressed as a function of kin selection? A non-reproducing individual may still be furthering similar genes and thus a successful organism. Colonial animals are examples. Additionally, the genetic similarity between kin separated by more than five generations approaches the same similarity as individuals in the population at large.
Anyway, just a thought.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Let's not conflate meaning with value or purpose.

I'm not convinced that the concept of meaning is meaningful. To ask what's the point is to take a linear view which not all cultures share.

We find our purpose, we find value- or we don't. A lot is unknowable. That pivotal moment where we change the world, or someone's world, we may not see it or ever know about it. But it happened. Even if we are genetic dead ends.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Have you considered that altruism is commonly expressed as a function of kin selection? A non-reproducing individual may still be furthering similar genes and thus a successful organism. Colonial animals are examples. Additionally, the genetic similarity between kin separated by more than five generations approaches the same similarity as individuals in the population at large.
Anyway, just a thought.
It's something I have studied, but the colonial animals such as bees and ants to which you refer are not conscious of their decisions and often not sterile, they perform a function in the community as a whole for the good of the colony. Now, i see your point and as i say i am happy to help and encourage others, but we are not by nature colonial animals, social to some extent, yes. But one could argue that one could be furthering dis-similar and unfavourable genes in an organism that now does not have to be successful in order to survive and thus weakening the genetics.