The love for another species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi

I was reading a thread yesterday about mixing different species. There are different opinions but most say its a no no . I came across this and thought it was absolute true love. Some thing are just meant to be and nature will find its way of making whatever it is happen regardless.:)

Tsunami Orphaned Baby Hippo & its Turtle Mom,
A baby hippopotamus that survived the tsunami waves on the Kenyan coast has formed a strong bond with a giant male century-old tortoise, in an animal facility in the port city of Mombassa, officials said .

The hippopotamus, nicknamed Owen and weighing about 300 kilograms was swept down Sabaki River into the Indian Ocean, then forced back to shore when tsunami waves struck the Kenyan coast on December 26, before wildlife rangers rescued him.

"It is incredible. A-less-than-a-year-old hippo has adopted a male tortoise, about a century old, and the tortoise seems to be very happy with being a 'mother'," ecologist Paula Kahumbu, who is in charge Lafarge Park, told AFP.

"After it was swept and lost its mother, the hippo was traumatized. It had to look for something to be a surrogate mother. Fortunately, it landed on the tortoise and established a strong bond. They swim, eat and sleep together," the ecologist added. "The hippo follows the tortoise exactly the way it follows its mother. If somebody approaches the tortoise, the hippo becomes aggressive, as if protecting its biological mother," Kahumbu added. "The hippo is a young baby, he was left at a very tender age and by nature, hippos are social animals that like to stay with their mothers for four years," he explained.

baby-hippo-tortoise-love-family.jpg gippo_cherep08.jpg HippoTurtle6.jpg images.jpg owen&mzee17.JPG owen2[1].jpg 004.jpg 7dc5189b5e02ceaf62278006259e040d.600x.jpg f04092c008a0cfaa7c839010L.jpg HippoTurtle3.jpg images.jpg maxresdefault.jpg tortoisehippos.jpg
You have to have trust for every relationship to work. This last photo confirms there relationship will be a success. :eek::)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, there are some odities of animal relationships out there for sure. I remember seeing this along time ago on a show. I think it's pretty darn cool. Thanks for the pics, some I haven't seen before.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Those are adorable pictures. I love the one where the hippo is sleeping with his head on the tortoise. The last picture is a little scary though but the tortoise doesn't look worried.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I've also seen these a few times, but they always make me smile :) Thanks for sharing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I once purchased a large 14" Flowerhorn Cichlid from a breeder (fish) and it was on the understanding that I also had to take his "friend"......a 6" comet goldfish that had been offered to him as food years previously, but he refused to eat this one. When I got them home, I separated them. I had planned on placing the comet into one of my fish ponds, but to my surprise, the Flowerhorn became distressed and I had to put them back together and they lived together another seven years..when the Flowerhorn died. (The comet is still alive and in a fish pond. He is at least ten years old.)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I once purchased a large 14" Flowerhorn Cichlid from a breeder (fish) and it was on the understanding that I also had to take his "friend"......a 6" comet goldfish that had been offered to him as food years previously, but he refused to eat this one. When I got them home, I separated them. I had planned on placing the comet into one of my fish ponds, but to my surprise, the Flowerhorn became distressed and I had to put them back together and they lived together another seven years..when the Flowerhorn died. (The comet is still alive and in a fish pond. He is at least ten years old.)
I've heard similar things about an aquatic turtle not eating a specific feeder fish no matter how long they both are around.

Life can be weird sometimes

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Although not to be a negative person here I wonder what will happen when the hippo matures... I mean one day the hippo will all of a sudden "like" other hippos, and will the tortoise still be a friend then or in the way?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Although not to be a negative person here I wonder what will happen when the hippo matures... I mean one day the hippo will all of a sudden "like" other hippos, and will the tortoise still be a friend then or in the way?
I kind of wondered that too. Plus that hippo is going to get a whole lot bigger and they are extremely dangerous and aggressive animals. hopefully by then the hippo would have moved Don out of the sanctuary.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina

They eventually moved Mzee to another enclosure and gave Owen a hippo lady friend :)

Prairie Mom

They have made quite a few children's books about Owen and Mzee. My kids loved the books even before we fell in love with our own tortoise. Also, @Falcon70 is correct. The sanctuary's plan was always to move Owen in with other Hippos once he was older. Hopefully Mzee isn't too distressed by it. My understanding is that Mzee has an attachment to one of the keepers there as well. Separating them once Owen was older, in no way detracts from the story to me. They really are wonderful creatures.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
They have made quite a few children's books about Owen and Mzee. My kids loved the books even before we fell in love with our own tortoise. Also, @Falcon70 is correct. The sanctuary's plan was always to move Owen in with other Hippos once he was older. Hopefully Mzee isn't too distressed by it. My understanding is that Mzee has an attachment to one of the keepers there as well. Separating them once Owen was older, in no way detracts from the story to me. They really are wonderful creatures.
To me it doesn't take from the story at all either, it happened and was magic, but the zoo keepers were smart and made the safe choice as they grew up.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hi

I was reading a thread yesterday about mixing different species. There are different opinions but most say its a no no . I came across this and thought it was absolute true love. Some thing are just meant to be and nature will find its way of making whatever it is happen regardless.:)

A baby hippopotamus that survived the tsunami waves on the Kenyan coast has formed a strong bond with a giant male century-old tortoise, in an animal facility in the port city of Mombassa, officials said .

The hippopotamus, nicknamed Owen and weighing about 300 kilograms was swept down Sabaki River into the Indian Ocean, then forced back to shore when tsunami waves struck the Kenyan coast on December 26, before wildlife rangers rescued him.

"It is incredible. A-less-than-a-year-old hippo has adopted a male tortoise, about a century old, and the tortoise seems to be very happy with being a 'mother'," ecologist Paula Kahumbu, who is in charge Lafarge Park, told AFP.

"After it was swept and lost its mother, the hippo was traumatized. It had to look for something to be a surrogate mother. Fortunately, it landed on the tortoise and established a strong bond. They swim, eat and sleep together," the ecologist added. "The hippo follows the tortoise exactly the way it follows its mother. If somebody approaches the tortoise, the hippo becomes aggressive, as if protecting its biological mother," Kahumbu added. "The hippo is a young baby, he was left at a very tender age and by nature, hippos are social animals that like to stay with their mothers for four years," he explained.

View attachment 112786 View attachment 112787 View attachment 112788 View attachment 112789 View attachment 112790 View attachment 112791 View attachment 112792 View attachment 112793 View attachment 112794 View attachment 112795 View attachment 112796 View attachment 112797 View attachment 112799
You have to have trust for every relationship to work. This last photo confirms there relationship will be a success. :eek::)
Thanks! I really enjoyed all the pictures you were able to collect! :)

melissah

Hi

View attachment 112786 View attachment 112787 View attachment 112788 View attachment 112789 View attachment 112790 View attachment 112791 View attachment 112792 View attachment 112793 View attachment 112794 View attachment 112795 View attachment 112796 View attachment 112797 View attachment 112799
Thank you for sharing that story and pictures, absolutely love it! :)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I wonder if the young hippo adopted any of its mom tortoises behaviors? Could've been awkward when it was integrated with other hippos. "Uh, excuse me, hippos don't behave that way!"

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just found this thread.
What beautiful pictures and a wonderful story.

Status
Not open for further replies.