The Kinixys Working Group

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio
I'm excited to let everyone know here at TFO that the Kinixys Working Group is now up running.

The Kinixys Working Group is a collaborative of dedicated Hingeback tortoise enthusiasts, keepers, institutions and researchers working together to ensure the future of the genus to the best of our ability both in captive collections (primarily in the United States) and in-situ.

Jeremy Thompson, David Mifsud, Tyler Brooks, Andrew Hermes and myself are the KWG founders.

⁣The Kinixys Working group will hold studbooks for the following species: ⁣

Kinixys erosa⁣
Kinixys homeana⁣
Kinixys nogueyi⁣
Kinixys spekii⁣

It is our goal that by building the KWG, Kinixys will be better maintained and more readily produced than they currently are. Collaboration will be key as members continue to have success. ⁣

If you want to participate in the studbooks, please complete this interest form:

Thanks and together we can ensure the future for Kinixys!

-Tom⁣

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Congratulations, Tom! Bravo to you and your fellow KWG cofounders for investing in the future of such a cool species. I didn't even know Hingebacks existed before watching your videos about them. Does KWG intend on bringing more awareness and education to the public? I just love learning about them and there’s great benefit in learning from the enthusiasts who have first hand experience.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Congratulations, Tom! Bravo to you and your fellow KWG cofounders for investing in the future of such a cool species. I didn't even know Hingebacks existed before watching your videos about them. Does KWG intend on bringing more awareness and education to the public? I just love learning about them and there’s great benefit in learning from the enthusiasts who have first hand experience.
Hi Krista- We're definitely first and foremost focused on preserving the species through captive breeding and supporting research efforts, and educating other owners. Broader outreach will come, eventually.

JThompson

Thanks for sharing this, Tom! Man... a monthly Kinixys podcast would be SWEET!

Casjoyce5

5 Year Member
Montana
I'm excited to let everyone know here at TFO that the Kinixys Working Group is now up running.

The Kinixys Working Group is a collaborative of dedicated Hingeback tortoise enthusiasts, keepers, institutions and researchers working together to ensure the future of the genus to the best of our ability both in captive collections (primarily in the United States) and in-situ.

Jeremy Thompson, David Mifsud, Tyler Brooks, Andrew Hermes and myself are the KWG founders.

⁣The Kinixys Working group will hold studbooks for the following species: ⁣

Kinixys erosa⁣
Kinixys homeana⁣
Kinixys nogueyi⁣
Kinixys spekii⁣

It is our goal that by building the KWG, Kinixys will be better maintained and more readily produced than they currently are. Collaboration will be key as members continue to have success. ⁣

If you want to participate in the studbooks, please complete this interest form:

Thanks and together we can ensure the future for Kinixys!

-Tom⁣
Hey Tom!

Is this group on Facebook? I don’t have a FB, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing the group anywhere here on The Tortoise Forum?

Valentine & Cassie

Reactions: Tom

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hey Tom!

Is this group on Facebook? I don’t have a FB, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing the group anywhere here on The Tortoise Forum?

Valentine & Cassie
There is contact information: https://www.thekinixyscooperative.com/kwg
Seems, that Facebook group is where most communication happens, yet they have email address on site.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's nice to see there will be a studbook. Years ago, when I brought it up at the get-together in St Louis, I kinda felt I was laughed at. Also found out that a "normal" person couldn't do one.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
It's nice to see there will be a studbook. Years ago, when I brought it up at the get-together in St Louis, I kinda felt I was laughed at. Also found out that a "normal" person couldn't do one.
Hi Jacqui- It's unfortunate that some experts lack the confidence in their own abilities that they poo-poo ideas that community at large has. I've seen it happen over, and over, and over again. To date, we have not yet established any stud books.