The First Outdoor Enclosure

huaban

Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, TX
Hi Guys,

I finished the 8 x 6 foot outdoor enclosure for my 5" aldabra tortoise baby. Obviously, I wasn't trying to put a cover over the enclosure because I will move the animal back indoor during the nighttime and no predator animals observed in my backyard and I have a security camera monitoring 24/7.

It is an easy set up and easy break down, the materials can be reused for another purposes. No screws and drills involved. However, the wood is a little bit pricy now.
Thank you @Tom for the confirmation of material safety.

Material:
2x12x16 Pressure treated wood 2 pcs
Old castle wall blocks 8 pcs

Recommendations are welcomed!!!

Thank you

Attachments

• F6DA86C3-9B24-4D7B-AA7F-5F8F637FA44A.jpeg
    F6DA86C3-9B24-4D7B-AA7F-5F8F637FA44A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • F90DCA66-EC12-414C-ADF7-8ED8760629A9.jpeg
    F90DCA66-EC12-414C-ADF7-8ED8760629A9.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 5405F701-57C4-47D1-9F9F-9FC0D0DCF526.jpeg
    5405F701-57C4-47D1-9F9F-9FC0D0DCF526.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
  • BF33CEB6-FAA6-4A85-A5F0-503CA53BFE77.jpeg
    BF33CEB6-FAA6-4A85-A5F0-503CA53BFE77.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks nice. My only suggestion is to go BIGGER! :)

Seriously though, I use enclosures that size for small babies that are 2-3 inches. 5-6 inch torties get much large outdoor accommodations. I've always been a student of the giants, but in the last couple of years I've really been learning a lot about them from a variety of sources and a new mentor who has been providing me with tons of great reading material and conversation. One thing that has become clear is that the two island giants are prone to some problems, one of the biggest being orthopedic problems. Weakness in the back ends is typical. Nutrition is listed as, and can certainly be a factor, but what I've seen in the last couple of years has me convinced that small enclosures on flat ground is the primary contributor. They need giant enclosures to go with their giant size, and hills and climbable obstacles help too. Makes sense when you think about their island homes.

Most other species don't tend to have these orthopedic problems, and certainly none of mine ever have, but for frame of reference, I give a 5-10 inch sulcata a pen that is about 30x30. They could certainly survive in something smaller, and so can your Aldabra, but I think your torotise will have better muscle and skeletal structure in a large pen where it can and will get more exercise.

In closing, your enclosure looks inviting and pleasant for a tortoise, but this is a tortoise forum. Not a tortoise enclosure forum. I'm certain I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see pics of the tortoise too! :D

huaban

Cypress, TX
That looks nice. My only suggestion is to go BIGGER! :)

Seriously though, I use enclosures that size for small babies that are 2-3 inches. 5-6 inch torties get much large outdoor accommodations. I've always been a student of the giants, but in the last couple of years I've really been learning a lot about them from a variety of sources and a new mentor who has been providing me with tons of great reading material and conversation. One thing that has become clear is that the two island giants are prone to some problems, one of the biggest being orthopedic problems. Weakness in the back ends is typical. Nutrition is listed as, and can certainly be a factor, but what I've seen in the last couple of years has me convinced that small enclosures on flat ground is the primary contributor. They need giant enclosures to go with their giant size, and hills and climbable obstacles help too. Makes sense when you think about their island homes.

Most other species don't tend to have these orthopedic problems, and certainly none of mine ever have, but for frame of reference, I give a 5-10 inch sulcata a pen that is about 30x30. They could certainly survive in something smaller, and so can your Aldabra, but I think your torotise will have better muscle and skeletal structure in a large pen where it can and will get more exercise.

In closing, your enclosure looks inviting and pleasant for a tortoise, but this is a tortoise forum. Not a tortoise enclosure forum. I'm certain I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see pics of the tortoise too! :D
Absolutely! However, Houston is currently under inclimate weather, once the weather turns good, I will definitely release the tort to its pen, let it enjoy the sun. And upload pictures as well.