The EXTREME cold winter is here

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
lol , you better buy a jacket ....... i'm looking at our 10 day forecast , i see 10, 3, 20, 10, 7, 3, 18, 19, 19, 24 .......... the next 4 weeks is the worst of winter..... it's why when you asked about heating a pond my reply did not involve electricity ..... we had 15" of snow the other day , another not florida problem , but without a cover that 15" of snow going in those ponds with the temps we are getting freezes them pretty quickly and pretty thick ......... 20 right now , and gray for the last 3-4 days, the pond enclosure was 34 when i was just out there .....

27 and full sun over the weekend, the enclosure got to 60 ...... the ground here is frozen , it keeps the ponds pretty cold , once in awhile one of these guys comes up and figures out it's warmer out the water and comes out until it's not .....

DSCF8440.jpg

DSCF8360-2.jpg
I can't even imagine dealing with that right now.

If the COLD weather was that bad. I'd just keep the Koi and Goldfish. They do fine under a sheet of ice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't even imagine dealing with that right now.

If the COLD weather was that bad. I'd just keep the Koi and Goldfish. They do fine under a sheet of ice.
Actually koi and goldfish are what I have and always had in all my ponds. But the pond still has to have a heater that will keep at least a small area of the surface opened from the ice or they will die. They will not survive under a sheet of ice.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
I've got grass mowing once a week and twice a week.
Rain water sure makes it grow!
No doubt and i have 4 acres,i think the guy inherited it was must have hated me and wanted to watch me mow the grass,my EX said if you hate it so bad hire a company to take care of it,and acted like it was no big deal i said you are aware they charge by the square foot she said so i told her we have about 5 foot ball fields out there,i guess she figure hire a neighborhood kid for 20bucks ,so just to humor her the lowest estimate was $428 and that doesn't weed eating is not in the estimate,they charge that but the linear foot,i showed her and she says we don't make that kind of money i said welcome to the same page of the book plus they fertilize so they can mow it in the winter,this was my life for along time she gave me 2 incredible sons i am proud of everything else she gave me ended with a headache ;-)

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Actually koi and goldfish are what I have and always had in all my ponds. But the pond still has to have a heater that will keep at least a small area of the surface opened from the ice or they will die. They will not survive under a sheet of ice.
This is my experience as well…

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No doubt and i have 4 acres,i think the guy inherited it was must have hated me and wanted to watch me mow the grass,my EX said if you hate it so bad hire a company to take care of it,and acted like it was no big deal i said you are aware they charge by the square foot she said so i told her we have about 5 foot ball fields out there,i guess she figure hire a neighborhood kid for 20bucks ,so just to humor her the lowest estimate was $428 and that doesn't weed eating is not in the estimate,they charge that but the linear foot,i showed her and she says we don't make that kind of money i said welcome to the same page of the book plus they fertilize so they can mow it in the winter,this was my life for along time she gave me 2 incredible sons i am proud of everything else she gave me ended with a headache ;-)
You are too funny...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Approx -4C/23F here last night and only 39F here at the moment. ?
Heavy frosts but no sign of snow yet.:)
I'm glad my old Ford Fiesta has heated front and rear windows, so no ice scraping needed.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Went over to Kerrys last weekend and having coffee in bed at 7AM Saturday I ask, what do you want to do this morning honey. "Let's go for a walk" she replied....uh oh!

it was 16F out! We walked the 1/2 mile or so to the dock and saw all the Geese out there. I told Kerry that their feet were prob frozen.

ProTip;
"When it's 16F out, don't ask your girlfriend what she wants to do.........."

IMG_5794.jpgIMG_5796.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Approx -4C/23F here last night and only 39F here at the moment. ?
Heavy frosts but no sign of snow yet.:)
I'm glad my old Ford Fiesta has heated front and rear windows, so no ice scraping needed.
It is as cold as Amman, Lyn. However, there has been snow in certain parts of the kingdom and it is expected to reach Amman soon....brrrrr. In that case "lockdown" would be imposed.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
-1 this morning , the enclosure with a thermometer was 18.4 before the sun hits it ......can't wait to get through february ......could be worse , could live in minnesota .......
DSCF8446.jpg

these ponds are pretty shallow , there is more water below the gravel than above it , one spot these turtles like to hibernate is no more than 8" deep, ......

this was running 9-250watt de-icers ...... 2250watts 24/7
DSCF5126.jpg

this is running 3-150watt de-icers and 3-250watt de-icers .....1100wats 24/7
DSCF8458-2.jpg

the box turtles , thankfully we got snow before these temps
DSCF8444-2.jpg

DSCF8445-2.jpg

DSCF8450-2.jpg

the deepest spot in any pond i got about 24"
DSCF8452-2.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Funny but true.
I don't own a jacket.
Now I know what to buy you for a present when I come to visit! I'll make sure it comes in some sort of plastic bag for long term storage and mothballs to protect it from lack of use.

Or wait... Do they have short term jacket rentals in FL??? Like renting skis and boots here at our mountain resorts? Man... this could be a billon dollar business idea!

?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
-1 this morning , the enclosure with a thermometer was 18.4 before the sun hits it ......can't wait to get through february ......could be worse , could live in minnesota .......
DSCF8446.jpg

these ponds are pretty shallow , there is more water below the gravel than above it , one spot these turtles like to hibernate is no more than 8" deep, ......

this was running 9-250watt de-icers ...... 2250watts 24/7
DSCF5126.jpg

this is running 3-150watt de-icers and 3-250watt de-icers .....1100wats 24/7
DSCF8458-2.jpg

the box turtles , thankfully we got snow before these temps
DSCF8444-2.jpg

DSCF8445-2.jpg

DSCF8450-2.jpg

the deepest spot in any pond i got about 24"
DSCF8452-2.jpg
That's a damned nightmare

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Now I know what to buy you for a present when I come to visit! I'll make sure it comes in some sort of plastic bag for long term storage and mothballs to protect it from lack of use.

Or wait... Do they have short term jacket rentals in FL??? Like renting skis and boots here at our mountain resorts? Man... this could be a billon dollar business idea!

?
Thats actually a pretty good idea.

My wife pointed out that I do have a kind of jacket. It was part of my uniform when I worked at Fort Lauderdale Kawasaki.
The thing is...they went out of business in the late 80s.
I completely forgot that it was in the closet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thats actually a pretty good idea.

My wife pointed out that I do have a kind of jacket. It was part of my uniform when I worked at Fort Lauderdale Kawasaki.
The thing is...they went out of business in the late 80s.
I completely forgot that it was in the closet.
I have a few like that! And they still fit me.