The environment of spider tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The trust has been recommended in the past. @Will maybe be able to help though with the way he has his.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Another member who keeps this species is @Tim/Robin Hopefully one of them will chime in and help you.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Another member who keeps this species is @Tim/Robin Hopefully one of them will chime in and help you.
Another member who has a great deal of experience with spiders in Will Ahern, maybe that is the Will that wellington is thinking of. I only keep P. planicauda, which is not so similar to the P. archnoides species. @tortadise is also more familiar with the more desert-y spiders than I am.

@Guokt do you actually have spiders? Which species? Can you offer pictures on them, or are you maybe just seeking sources and preparing for an eventual care need?

The P. planicuada seem to disappoint some people who eventually think of them a pretty rocks, a humorous way to suggest they are inactive. I find them to be much like G. spengleri semi terrestrial turtles, They are pretty still most of the time, but when active they are full of intrigue to watch.

Guokt

Just got spiders,I the may be a p.a.b and a p.a.o. I was told that the environment is all the same and I do not know if my environment is good for them and here is my friends.

2015-10-26 191217.jpg
2015-10-26 192239.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.chelonian.org/crm-6/

This is a link to a wealth of information about the natural history and some captive husbandry regarding spider tortoises.

the actual document...

http://www.chelonian.org/wp-content/uploads/file/CRM 6/CRM_6_Castellano_etal_2013.pdf

The pictures indicate a reasonable size area for two tortoises, but I don't know anything from the image about the climate the are in, the diet they get, or their history.

Climate is temperatures, humidity, and light. It looks like your enclosure in on a patio or balcony, so they get direct natural light? What are the temps, I see an temp and humidity gauge, but can not see the values. I don't have first hand knowledge of feeding these guy, but I understand they like leafy greens, tree and shrub leaves, and some cactus (opuntia) should be a majority of what they are fed.

Guokt

Thank you for the document. And I think it is very helpful for me to know more about the tortoise. Yes,You are right. The enclosure is on a pario,so they get direct naturanl light. Temp is about 26 centigrade,humidity is higher 73%. Should I fed them cactus three times a week