The elusive and threatened Wood turtle.

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
My husband and I stopped by our house to help a painted turtle cross the road. I soon discovered this wasn't a painted. The turtle saw us and ran. It's got to the other side with no assistance from us. I saw the raised scutes, the red/orange legs and knew I needed a pic. She hissed at my husband but then stopped long enough to get a pic. Had she not hissed I would have picked her up. I've lived in Maine my entire life and I didn't even know this type of turtle existed. It is currently considered threatened. This encounter totally made my day. Praying she makes it back across the road!Screenshot_20180612-102517.jpeg20180611_182346.jpeg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
unless she was an escaped pet , i'd imagine there is a river nearby ? the location best kept to yourself , i know of entire populations poached ....... maybe if you check out the nearest river it wouldn't be a once in a lifetime sighting .........

Greta16

Western Maine
unless she was an escaped pet , i'd imagine there is a river nearby ? the location best kept to yourself , i know of entire populations poached ....... maybe if you check out the nearest river it wouldn't be a once in a lifetime sighting .........
Haha!!! Yes, I live on a river and a bog. I've actually lived on this river my entire life and this is still a first for me. I hope she (If I'm right) was able to lay eggs and make it back across the road to the river. The river basicly runs the entire length of my road. Snappers and Painted turtles are always crossing the rd to lay eggs. It's such a hazard, but what can you do?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
wow that is cool that you saw her. I also hope she makes it back safely.. There must be more around if she was laying eggs. Any chance you have seen a bog turtle? We have a bog and I like to watch for the bog turtle. thanks for sharing.

Greta16

Western Maine
wow that is cool that you saw her. I also hope she makes it back safely.. There must be more around if she was laying eggs. Any chance you have seen a bog turtle? We have a bog and I like to watch for the bog turtle. thanks for sharing.
Nope, I've only ever seen snappers and painted turtles. My aunt's who grew up here were pretty jealous that I saw it!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
unless the turtle was relocated , she probably has lived the last 20yrs within a half mile of where you seen her .......... i keep a male in a 10x10 pen ,i often can't find him , one time i couldn't find him for 2 days , i crawled on my hands and knees around a half acre perimeter , only to have him pop up in the pen 2 days later ........ they are exceptionally hard to spot ......