The Elephant Queen

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Last night I watched a Documentary/movie called The Elephant Queen the cronicels the Seasonal migration of a herd of Elephants on the African Savana. one of the many other animals they follow are a pair of Leopard Torts. The male was about half the size of the female which I totally expected but I wasn't expecting the amount of pyramiding in wild leopards. is that Natural? my 2 have absolutely no pyramiding...are they freaks?

Has anyone seen the show? I saw it on AppleTV and it was released in2019.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven't seen it.

There is some evidence of pyramiding in the wild, but I've been told by Africans that some people raise them in captivity and then turn them loose out in the wild over there when they get bigger. If they followed the typical advice found on the internet and in books and raised them dry in an indoor enclosure, they would pyramiding over there the same as here. No one can say for sure. I can't.

Were they really wild tortoises, or did the film crew find them somewhere and bring them in for filming? I do that here all the time with North American animals. We take them to "wild" settings and have them walk around doing "natural" looking things. I had great fun taking my beaver to ponds and letting him swim around. Gray foxes, wolves, black bears, porcupines, etc...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I haven't seen it.

There is some evidence of pyramiding in the wild, but I've been told by Africans that some people raise them in captivity and then turn them loose out in the wild over there when they get bigger. If they followed the typical advice found on the internet and in books and raised them dry in an indoor enclosure, they would pyramiding over there the same as here. No one can say for sure. I can't.

Were they really wild tortoises, or did the film crew find them somewhere and bring them in for filming? I do that here all the time with North American animals. We take them to "wild" settings and have them walk around doing "natural" looking things. I had great fun taking my beaver to ponds and letting him swim around. Gray foxes, wolves, black bears, porcupines, etc...
With the pyramiding being so bad in the male, I thought someone had brought their home torts to make a cameo appearance. Since its a Movie that mimics Documentary and not a TRUE documentary, that well could be the case